Why no more crotch strap on wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a weird body shape, not overweight just weird. My neck is to big for my shoulders and my shoulders are too big for the rest of me. I have to wear a medium bottom with a large/X large top. Yes, I could get a custom made wetsuit but I haven't yet. The biggest problem that I have, is that the top/jacket rides up around my waist.

What happened to the crotch straps that wetsuit tops and jackets used to have? They would keep the tops from riding up. Now I only see woman's wetsuirts with them! Why?

There are fewer and fewer two piece wetsuits in use in scuba to begin with. The term you're looking for is "beaver tail." That said, if you're willing to go through the very minor annoyance of adding wetsuit lubricant, an open cell two piece might be your answer: Wetsuits - Spearfishing Wetsuits - MAKO Spearguns unsure if @MAKO Spearguns will split sizes but worth asking.

Simplest answer is get some webbing used for BPW crotch strap and fashion your own beaver tail.

Two piece suits have fallen out of normal as neoprene stretchiness has increased.
They were originally popular because thick heavy neoprene didn't stretch and you needed two pieces to get into it.
The new neoprene is very stretchy and one piece suits, even thick ones are now easily donnable.

Two piece suits have fallen out of normal as neoprene stretchiness has increased.
They were originally popular because thick heavy neoprene didn't stretch and you needed two pieces to get into it.
The new neoprene is very stretchy and one piece suits, even thick ones are now easily donnable.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense but if I get one that fits my bottom half, I can't breath because the top half is to tight or I'm being choked. Right now, I'm using a Farmer John bottom half with a step in shorty top half. I wear a shorty vest under the top and that's where the problem is. It bunches up. I guess I'll have to take some glue and neoprene and make my own Beaver Tail. Thanks for cluing me in to what it was called.

Two piece motorcycle racing leathers have horizontal zippers at the back that keep your jacket from riding up when you go down and slide on your back. Maybe you can rig up something like that?

Mine's in the shop at the moment getting an orange lining so I can wear it inside out and be seen by helicopters

015.JPG

and a long john made bbbrrrrrrrrrr

I really can't feel people using old gear wearing current suits

Thanks man!
I suppose I'm an authentic 70s diver, have used the gear in various iterations regularly since

It's a fairdinkum SHARKSIN NEOPRENE suit, not the fluffy stuff of today that stole the name

330 022a.jpg

You put it on and breathe from it what's the difference

see the grey box in the corner it's a Russian rebreather

You put it on and breathe from it what's the difference

Mine's in the shop at the moment getting an orange lining so I can wear it inside out and be seen by helicopters

View attachment 820223

and a long john made bbbrrrrrrrrrr

I really can't feel people using old gear wearing current suits
I think the flaming pink would work just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom