Cressi Gara 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Errrrr... let me jump in here... I agree with both Dan and BabyD. If you are a very experienced diver and know your equipment WELL, then freediving fins can work. I saw MV dive with those and the ease is clearly visible. HOWEVER, I would not recommend freediving fins for beginners or even divers with some experience. The lack of feel or understand on how long the fins are can damage reef and sometimes faces (Ouch!). And in the hands (or rather on the feet) of inexperienced divers, it can stir up a lot of ***** at the bottom. Better to start off with something shorter and easier to manage.

Personally, I own jetfins, the old Avantis, the Quarttros, the twin jets, force fins, and Power Volos. I have tried long freedive fins as well, though I never owned a pair. Personally, I like the Volos (ok, I gave up on my new Twin Jets cos they are heavy and my finning style is not as efficient with those). I love freedive fins when I am freediving. :D The long easy strokes really get you moving with out too much effort, but for sustained finning and gliding, I like my Volos..

My advise to people: Try out all sorts of fins. And find the one that suits you, or one that suits what you are doing.

my 2 cents worth... :)

Thanks for the calming influence :)
Evolving from this, I would say all divers should try to demo gear when they are trying to form their optimal dive set up. I wish the dive industry promoted demo days for dive gear, in a manner similar to the Snow Skiing industry, or even Bicycling or kayaking. It's almost as if many dive shops do not want a diver to buy anything other than what they sell, and they want to "sell what they have the most of", or biggest margins with..the idea of demo'ing really bothers some shop owners...Here in Florida we have so many shops, we are fortunate enough to have some that really do want divers to get the best gear for themselves, and some even do demos. But these are the exception....this was one reason George Irvine and I began doing DIR demos back in 2000 or so, to allow divers to try without them having to buy. It was a huge success in changing the way advanced divers viewed gear and configurations--not just for tech dives, but for advanced recreational as well. Demos for freedive fins are equally important, and even in the absense of manufacturer support for this, there are many people who own freedive fins who would be happy to let you try their fins...divers need to desire to do the demos, not just listen to what a clerk wants to sell...
There will be divers who do not like freedive fins. fine. The idea of the demo should still be embraced by divers--it should be demanded of the industry.

Your diatribe is for another forum. I think SCUBABOARD has a DIR or GUE thingie on another page somewhere. You are always welcome to spout thoughts but always use the caveat - "PERSONAL OPINION". That way readers won't confuse you for a certified professional. Oh, remember, opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one.

And hopefully readers of this board will be aware of what it means to be a certified professional..ie., diving is about making money , rather than the love of diving.

I know awesome instructors, and dive store owners that have incredibly cool shops...but they are NOT the image you imagine when you think about a "certified dive professional"...that is an image more like an instructor with 100 dives under his belt, officiously barking orders to the students he is trying to impress, and scare into missing his lack of real dive knowledge...don't hand me the nonsense about a "dive professional"--or a professional in any industry which purports to have some requisite respect due to some industry title.

Each of us needs to be seen for what we actually do, not what a title says we do. Believe me, when I see a good instructor, I complement them and let their students know how lucky they are. If you were not so close-minded about freedive fins, I'd be booking a week with your resort right now, just so I could see how you really run your operation.

I agree on the demo thing and I would include BCs.

You know Dan I may try freedive fins just for the experience of it. I see your point since your first post.

Cool, I'm glad you see this....and the BC part, that was a large aspect of the DIR demos we did years ago..getting monster BC users into a halcyon 28 pound lift wing on a single tank..it was mind blowing to many divers :)

Regards,
Dan

I know awesome instructors

Aw, shucks Dan, you made me blush.

I know awesome freedivers!

Dan1.jpg

My 2 cents

In the Philippine dive setting, using freediving fins are like wearing roller blades to the mall; or using a serving spoon to eat.

Freediving fins work, but it does not have an overwhelming advantage over regular paddle fins to merit its daily use. The very idea of packing a pair of long fins for an overseas trip is a major deal breaker for me.

The only advantage freediving has over regular paddle fins is speed. Unless you are looking for a dive in current, there is no need for using powerful fins in Philippine diving.

Yep, diving is about making money. Being passionate about a sport and making money ....well, it's down right AWESOME! Show me one not-for-profit SCUBA diving resort in the world and I'll wear freediving fins to bed. Since you have no idea about our business, do not understand why we like to go slowly when we dive, don't understand the risk we undertake everyday, provide a living to people that would otherwise be unemployed, create huge safety margins to mitigate risks, provide a service to customers that is in great demand, and we do it professionally....yeah, potential customers like yourself wouldn't be allowed to get me a glass of water. So, take your business somewhere else, we don't want it and let's close this thread.

Ay nako, minsan Kano masakit sa puwit talaga.....

And hopefully readers of this board will be aware of what it means to be a certified professional..ie., diving is about making money , rather than the love of diving.

I know awesome instructors, and dive store owners that have incredibly cool shops...but they are NOT the image you imagine when you think about a "certified dive professional"...that is an image more like an instructor with 100 dives under his belt, officiously barking orders to the students he is trying to impress, and scare into missing his lack of real dive knowledge...don't hand me the nonsense about a "dive professional"--or a professional in any industry which purports to have some requisite respect due to some industry title.

Each of us needs to be seen for what we actually do, not what a title says we do. Believe me, when I see a good instructor, I complement them and let their students know how lucky they are. If you were not so close-minded about freedive fins, I'd be booking a week with your resort right now, just so I could see how you really run your operation.

More information to help you keep informed. If you ever get on my SCUBA dive boat with freediving fins it's off with your puwit!
Scuba Diver Info - Fins

Hmm. :dork2:

Maybe you should be teaching your divers proper techniques instead of saying dumbass comments on a public forum.

The tried and tested classic in the link you mentioned (ScubaPro Jet) isnt so good for the reefs as it it so heavy and stiff that most users that i have seen with them cannot feel if they clip something, and the extra effort required to push them means if they do feel something it's too late. Not that i am trying to demonise jet users, users of all fins can be bad divers - it is your job to help them realise in a polite way.

As for kicking people in the face.. Cressis are only a few inches longer than normal fins, may i suggest that if you are getting kicked in the face repeatedly you should back off a bit; or do you marshal your divers along in tightly packed groups due to fear of losing one?

If we really want to get environmental, where is the fish from in your resort restaurant? Did you minimise silt run off when building the resort, do you treat your waste water to prevent eutrophication? Where do you take your OW Students? They cause the most damage, and we've all been there - we all sucked at bouyancy at some point.

Do you have oil absorbant pads in your boats to absorb any potential spillage when refueling? I would assume not as they are pricey.

All this is assuming you never let the boat drop anchor on a divesite.

--

Try freediving fins, they are great, not needed for a muck dive but there are times when they are useful. Just as always, fin slowly when you are close to the reef, and if you feel contact - don't panic, use your BCD to raise off the reef or swim with your hands (a big PADI no-no, crossed arms at all times, right?) until you are clear.

Just my personal opinion :wink:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom