Cressi Gara 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urmmm... i also have em quattros, they're really great fins, kinda hard on my ankles tho, but will still definitely use them. it's just that the gara's blew me away when i tried them.

will be getting mine tomorrow or tuesday (dumb holiday) anyhoo... thanks y'all :D

More information to help you keep informed. If you ever get on my SCUBA dive boat with freediving fins it's off with your puwit!
Scuba Diver Info - Fins

Big flopping fins are a safety hazard. My guests will not get flopped in the face by free diving fins or worse like corals slapped by the wearer. I've seen it too many times. It takes a lot of experience to know how to feel where your fins are in relation to your body position. Just not cool. And, it's my perogative as the owner.

Big flopping fins are a safety hazard. My guests will not get flopped in the face by free diving fins or worse like corals slapped by the wearer. I've seen it too many times. It takes a lot of experience to know how to feel where your fins are in relation to your body position. Just not cool. And, it's my perogative as the owner.

Sorry for sounding so adversarial....my issue is not with you, but with mass propagandizing within the dive industry..

Let's start with the scuba diver --- in my world view, he/she should be very slick in the water ( no entangling hazard issues, no large volume, puffer fish like BC configurations, etc). With warm water diving, the diver does not need massive weight, so if only a small swing of weight for neutral buoyancy exists, then the BC does not need more than 30 pounds of lift. This also means that there is a mimimum of weight on the diver, which also allows him/her to swim flat/horizontal--which is the way we are supposed to swim efficiently, as opposed to having an extra 20 pounds of lead, plus air in the bladder to compensate at 60 feet deep, forcing a feet down, head up swimming posture, which means this diver is pushing a huge bow wave and can never glide the way they should. Additionally, massive BC's with 60 to 80 pounds of lift create huge drag while swiimming, and should an inflator malfunction, and the high lift BC auto inflates from depth, the huge volume BC's can create a very dangerous lung over expansion injury potential, not shared by the 30 pound lift wings ( meaning, the ascent speed on the 30 pound wing will not be all that fast, versus rocketing up with the monster BC).

Backplate /wing designs are plentiful now, meaning I don't have to push Halcyon--I can also push Dive Rite and many others. With these backplate and wing systems, the diver has a low profile in the water, and with reglulator hoses rigged properly, the diver can be so slick that they can easily do the big slow kick and long glide formerly only seen in freedivers. This has tremendous implications for a scuba diver----with the long bladed, high quality freedive fins, a diver in the slick configuration just discussed, can perform a 50 or 60 minute recreational dive, with a heart beat and breathing rate far lower than their "evil twin on traditional puffer fish BC" would be experiencing.

So the first benefit is less air used/more air reserve.

Second, will be that with a much lower Heart Rate/workload, there will be lower nitrogen absorbtion.

Third. Many of the coolest dives ( most spectacular) have significant currents, sometimes complete with eddies. A slick configured diver with freedive fins, has the ability to correct for the current and eddie changes more like a fish, than the puffed out traditional scuba diver--who has so much drag, that eddies constantly upset him, push him around, and the current makes effort on the dive way too high. The gliding capability, coupled with the enormous increase in propulsion power and speed bursting, allows the slicker diver to make simple and easy corrections, and to rarely even be consious of having to correct for eddies or current--it is just so easy, it just happens.

Fourth...A whale or other huge photo op or thrill marine life swims by, and you find it "appropriate" to attempt to keep up with it for a while...with freedive fins, the slick scuba diver will be able to go at least 2 times the speed of the puffer fish diver--maybe three times the speed. So the optimizing of potential experiences is much better.

Fifth...a diver in your group is in trouble, but 30 feet away---with freedive fins, you can cross that gap far faster than the diver with traditioanl fins, at a time when seconds are crucial.

6th... Getting back on the boat, the freedive fin wearing diver can generate the power sometimes nice to have, in the last 20 feet between them and the boat. As for myself, there is also the getting out of the water bonus, where I can ignore the stinking ladder, and use the fin thrust and speed, along with whatever wave size and boat motion exists, to "belly up" on the swim platform-meaning I am up on the boat in 1 second, instead of 30 seconds to a minute, and I never have to hang on the ladder helplessly, one fin on, and one off, hoping I don't get knocked off.

Beyond all these points, I will also add that with freedive fins, I have enjoyed precise control when my wife Sandra is doing macro photography, and I am forced to remain in a non drifiting hover mode for many minutes at a time....I hear on newsgroup type posts frequently, that some instructors think that freedive fins will cause damage to the coral reef--I find this massively insulting to all of us....What this means, is that the instructor making comments like this, has not taught the student to achieve proper weighting and matching of BC, so they are swimming head up and feet down--this is a huge failure of many instructors interested in volume of students passed, over quality of divers they turn out. It also means the student was never taught decent buoyancy control, or they would easily be able to hold themselves a safe distance above the reef--regardless of fin choice...blaming this on long fins is the ultimate in stupidity.
And lastly, there are people who can not be taught to be decent divers, period. This is pure blasphemy to PADI mindsets, but I know plenty of "good" PADI instructors who agree with it. But the industry needs every diver it can bait in, hook, and then reel in to instruction and equipment purchases---they will not accept that anything exists that can not be sold dive gear.
In snow skiing, big resorts will have a large ski school, where new skiiers will be asked to perform a few basic moving skills on skiis ... some will do christis in to the hill, some will do snow plow, some will fall just trying to walk on skiis....the group of instructors will have predecided who is stuck with the worst group of the day--the skiers referred to as "never-evers".... these are the people that the instructors agree have issues which will prevent them from ever being any good at skiing--some have a complete lack of coordination, some are so physically unfit that the skills could not be practically achieved, some are so fearful that they can not listen, and do not ever REALLY want to be there--and they will not even want to learn--they may be doing this because a family member of friend"pushed" them into this....These issues of never'evers tie in well to diving, but the "Dive Industry" likes to pretend these do not exist. Short story---if someone can not be taught to swim flat, and to use freedive fins, either they are a never-ever, or there instructor is :)

Regards,
Dan Volker

P.S.
I would be happy to show you how to optimize the use freedive fins for scuba divers the next time Sandra and I head for Indonesia ( we plan on a month, with several destinations)..I would be willing to make a bet ( money) that I could optimize any fit student that has an interest in being efficeint in the water, to do much better with freedive fins--and for you to decide he/she began doing better with the freediving slick BC config, than with the tradtional scuba config....if we make this bet, I will bring more gear with me on the trip :)

Uh no, thanks for the offer...maybe us puffer divers will continue to puff along with our perfectly engineered fins....again, I disagree, no freediving fins on my boats with SCUBA divers. It is very obvious to me that you do not know the business of SCUBA diving. In a perfect world all customers are perfect divers. Well, sad to say, not true. Joe diver is there to have his or her vacation and I mitigate all risks on the shore. It is a business. Bottomline-Safety of guests and keeping them off the marine life are priority number 1. I appreciate the offer. If you and Sandra want a lesson on how to run a resort come by and I'll gladly show how challenging it is. Oh, PADI has nothing to do with any of this. The PADI slams are not appropriate. When you have become an instructor (in any organization) you will learn how challenging it is to teach Joe vacation diver, run a successful business, and do it all safely. Be cool.

Uh no, thanks for the offer...maybe us puffer divers will continue to puff along with our perfectly engineered fins....again, I disagree, no freediving fins on my boats with SCUBA divers. It is very obvious to me that you do not know the business of SCUBA diving. In a perfect world all customers are perfect divers. Well, sad to say, not true. Joe diver is there to have his or her vacation and I mitigate all risks on the shore. It is a business. Bottomline-Safety of guests and keeping them off the marine life are priority number 1. I appreciate the offer. If you and Sandra want a lesson on how to run a resort come by and I'll gladly show how challenging it is. Oh, PADI has nothing to do with any of this. The PADI slams are not appropriate. When you have become an instructor (in any organization) you will learn how challenging it is to teach Joe vacation diver, run a successful business, and do it all safely. Be cool.

Sorry, I only concern myself with the experiences and the sport of scuba diving, freediving, tech diving, etc. The business of it, is too often " at odds" with what is "best" for an individual diver.

So you have made it clear your operation caters to many divers so pathetic in their skill sets, that you have to worry about them colliding with the marine flora...I understand that this creates issues I do not cover in my "world view of diving". I also realize this is not just you, but dive operations all over the world, including dive operations here in south Florida. Luckily, I have always been able to seek out and FIND dive boats or resorts that cater to advanced divers who actually are good at diving, or at least have a boat for bad divers as a group, and a boat for good divers as a group. I have always avoided the boats filled with students all the time, as they are not trying to provide maximum dive adventure, their are typically trying to "safely" maximize the number of people that can be loaded a boat, dropped in a safe spot, picked up then dumped to be exchanged for as many more of these cycles per day as possible. This is cattle boat diving. We have them in south Florida, just as they exist in Cayman, Indonessia, and your neck of the woods. The trick is, to avoid these places, if you really have learned how to dive.
I would only be concerned about having discussions with divers that really want to dive well..and who have the physical ability to dive well. This does NOT relate directly to a large percentage of once a year tourist divers....however, I would not expect this group of infrequent divers to be representative of the group of people reading these posts on the Scubaboard--I expect the frequent readers/posters here, to be avid divers, or new divers who want to be avid divers.
As to my becoming an instructor, that would have negative connotations to me--kind of like, "...do you want to teach "student drivers" how to parralell park and merge into traffic, or do you want to race cars in SCCA, NASCAR, or Formula One ? .."
Teaching means I would not get the experiences I got into diving for....However, I do feel good about sharing skills and ideas with other divers I am in the water with, or here on this board--as it does not detract from my diving.

Sorry to hear you are so into a cattle boat mode of dive boat operation, that you are not even able to consider that some divers with freedive fins, may be far better in the water than your own divemasters or instructors--instead, you are fixated on dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. Luckily, there is a market for what you are doing, and for this large chunk of divers, you really are providing an awesome service. My problem with it, is what happens when a good diver unwittingly ends up booked on your boat, and has to submit to the dumbing down of his/her diving potential....

Regards,
Dan Volker

One more point..really the most important for this thread....
The original poster was asking about freedive fins for scuba diving. I have absolute, provable knowledge, that a fit, athletic scuba diver can be far better with freedive fins and a DIR type configuration, than is possible for the same person's evil twin, set up in traditional monster BC, overweighted, and stubby scuba fins. This is one of my pet peeve issues--fin choice like this...it is also an issue where I will put my money where my mouth is..anyone on this board that is teetering on this issue, if you want this issue demonstrated--proven, I will be happy to arrange this. I do NOT make any money from the dive industry or from diving, so my agenda is not blemished by what may be "expediant" for my business...

If a person comes on this thread and asks if freedive fins are good for scuba diving, I am going to be explaining why freedive fins are better than scuba fins..and I will be very happy to show this to anyone I dive with..frequently I have an extra set of freedive fins I will let people use for a dive...And I am always going to demonstrate why a scuba diver should NOT be overweighted, and why they SHOULD be swimming horizontally flat for proper safety, control and efficiency in the water. Most of this is so easy to demonstrate, I have never found a person who did not get this immediately.

Errrrr... let me jump in here... I agree with both Dan and BabyD. If you are a very experienced diver and know your equipment WELL, then freediving fins can work. I saw MV dive with those and the ease is clearly visible. HOWEVER, I would not recommend freediving fins for beginners or even divers with some experience. The lack of feel or understand on how long the fins are can damage reef and sometimes faces (Ouch!). And in the hands (or rather on the feet) of inexperienced divers, it can stir up a lot of ***** at the bottom. Better to start off with something shorter and easier to manage.

Personally, I own jetfins, the old Avantis, the Quarttros, the twin jets, force fins, and Power Volos. I have tried long freedive fins as well, though I never owned a pair. Personally, I like the Volos (ok, I gave up on my new Twin Jets cos they are heavy and my finning style is not as efficient with those). I love freedive fins when I am freediving. :D The long easy strokes really get you moving with out too much effort, but for sustained finning and gliding, I like my Volos..

My advise to people: Try out all sorts of fins. And find the one that suits you, or one that suits what you are doing.

my 2 cents worth... :)

Back
Top Bottom