Cressi Gara 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can't order them in?

already did... they don't have my size huhu :(
it's a sign... time to order one of these

otdrDiving_GearFinsForce_FinForce_Fin_Slim_Fin-resized200.jpg

some people on SB swear by them... how do you think so many of us went BP/W... people here on SB swore by them...

Jag

Don't let anyone tell you freedive fins are not better for scuba..this is a long running corruption in the dive industry---I blame this on dive shops that don't want to stock an inventory of fins where you have to buy 10 different sizes, as opposed to 2 sizes---dive shops like the one size fits all solution for low inventory costs...and then there is the predominate PADI professional, who will certify ANYONE, regardless of how uncoordinated they are( they don't want there never evers to fail the walking part)---walking on a dive boat with freedive fins on is more difficult than walking with short stubby scuba fins; For a person who is a "never-ever" in diving, this challenge will show them to be in an environment they are failing miserably in--they will fall easily, stepping on their own fins, etc. A well coordinated diver, will have zero trouble walking in them. And, remember, you buy fins for underwater propulsion, not for doing speed walking marathons.
There is also the issue of getting into the water--with freediving fins you DO NOT do a giant stride entry--this would overstress the long blade--instead, you either back flop in, or learn to dive head first ( my method).
With Freediving fins, you have many advantages over all scuba fin alternatives:
* Freedive fins are soft and more efficient--you will learn that you kick a large amplitude, slow frequency kick, with far LESS muscular effort than traditional scuba fins--barefoot kicking would have less effort, as would tiny little fins or fins with huge slices in them which drastically reduce their propulsion--but these are also much slower methods of moving through the water.
*Freedive fins allow you to kick, and glide, and to maintain a much lower heart rates than a high cadence fin ( normal scuba fin), low HR equating to lower breathing rate and longer bottom time potential.
* Freedive fins give you a much higher emergency top speed, to be used for current problems, opportunity of a lifetime whale photo, getting to a diver in distress, and on an on.
* Once you learn how to use freedive fins, you can exhibit far greater control in the water than the typical scuba diver will ever have--this means you will be the least likely diver to pummel the reef with your fins.
* Freedivng fins are NOT suited to diving in caves or deep within shipwrecks where there are siltout issue---they create to much potential for silting. Caves are the only place I do not use my freedive fins on scuba dives.
* Freedive fins can even allow a fit diver to keep up with scooter divers. I did this for years, even on tech dives. In fact, my cruising speed can be higher than techna's, and the other typical junky scooters you usually see on charter boats. I can keep of with a Gavin for a while, but if gavin scooters are run full tilt, without letup for over 5 minutes--say a whole dive, then it will not be practical to try to keep up to them.

Dan Volker

Don't let anyone tell you freedive fins are not better for scuba..this is a long running corruption in the dive industry---I blame this on dive shops that don't want to stock an inventory of fins where you have to buy 10 different sizes, as opposed to 2 sizes---dive shops like the one size fits all solution for low inventory costs...and then there is the predominate PADI professional, who will certify ANYONE, regardless of how uncoordinated they are( they don't want there never evers to fail the walking part)---walking on a dive boat with freedive fins on is more difficult than walking with short stubby scuba fins; For a person who is a "never-ever" in diving, this challenge will show them to be in an environment they are failing miserably in--they will fall easily, stepping on their own fins, etc. A well coordinated diver, will have zero trouble walking in them. And, remember, you buy fins for underwater propulsion, not for doing speed walking marathons.
There is also the issue of getting into the water--with freediving fins you DO NOT do a giant stride entry--this would overstress the long blade--instead, you either back flop in, or learn to dive head first ( my method).
With Freediving fins, you have many advantages over all scuba fin alternatives:
* Freedive fins are soft and more efficient--you will learn that you kick a large amplitude, slow frequency kick, with far LESS muscular effort than traditional scuba fins--barefoot kicking would have less effort, as would tiny little fins or fins with huge slices in them which drastically reduce their propulsion--but these are also much slower methods of moving through the water.
*Freedive fins allow you to kick, and glide, and to maintain a much lower heart rates than a high cadence fin ( normal scuba fin), low HR equating to lower breathing rate and longer bottom time potential.
* Freedive fins give you a much higher emergency top speed, to be used for current problems, opportunity of a lifetime whale photo, getting to a diver in distress, and on an on.
* Once you learn how to use freedive fins, you can exhibit far greater control in the water than the typical scuba diver will ever have--this means you will be the least likely diver to pummel the reef with your fins.
* Freedivng fins are NOT suited to diving in caves or deep within shipwrecks where there are siltout issue---they create to much potential for silting. Caves are the only place I do not use my freedive fins on scuba dives.
* Freedive fins can even allow a fit diver to keep up with scooter divers. I did this for years, even on tech dives. In fact, my cruising speed can be higher than techna's, and the other typical junky scooters you usually see on charter boats. I can keep of with a Gavin for a while, but if gavin scooters are run full tilt, without letup for over 5 minutes--say a whole dive, then it will not be practical to try to keep up to them.

Dan Volker

now i really desperately want one... it's available at scubastore but shipping's a beach! i'm thinking of getting the LD instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom