Crazy bad foot cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lot of divers try to "GRIP" with their toes when the boots or fins are too big
this brings on cramps,but alcina wasn't using anything that hadn't been used before with no probs.
glad the last 2 dives were cramp free!!!!
maybe just more diving is the cure!!!
i'm all for it!
have fun
yaeg

I get foot cramps on land and in the water. Usually it happens when I have to fin hard in the water (ex. trying to get to boat in current). I would love to know if there was something I can do to help since it could be a problem if I ever need to fin for my life!!!

fin slower.
why rush?
LOL I don't think I could possibly dive any slower than I already do!

Happy to report no issues at all since I posted - so clearly the solution was "bitch out loud about it" :D

Muscle cramps are often rather mysterious. One theory is that dehydration may exacerbate cramping; another is mineral imbalances--lots of people drink electrolyte beverages like sports drinks to address both issues simultaneously. Eating bananas is thought by many to proved potassium and prevent cramps. I used to get nocturnal cramps in my legs, and I still have a terrible time on long flights with leg cramping. I take magnesium tablets, which work like magic (seriously, like magic). So for me, at least, the mineral imbalance idea seems to make sense. Alcina, since your cramping episodes are sporadic, is there something different about your diet on days you get cramps?

Nope, nothing different that I can think of. Always well hydrated, eat essentially the same, same lifestyle/routine, same gear, same workload, same temperatures. Just one of those things that happens, I guess. Dunno.

Hmm. Then it seems likely it's a mineral deficiency. Probably either magnesium or calcium. You can chew an antacid tablet like Tums and eat cashews. Then make sure to stretch before you dive. Good luck! I hope the cramps don't return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom