Crazy bad foot cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bingo! :cool: Get some water shoes with good support. Reef is more known for their flops and sandals now, but they still make good shoes.
Some other good ideas mention, but I think treating your feet better ashore will help. My daughter deals with plantar fasciitis, "flip flop disease," and like so many others - when she responds well to treatment, I see her in flip flops again. I once saw a lady in a parking lot wearing a p.fasciitis brace on one foot and a flip flop on the other. :eek:

So why now? It caught up to you...

36499_290931547658652_183803181704823_658404_1869807836_n.jpg

Try a tiny bit of Epsom salts before you dive. Like dampen your finger, stick the tip of it in the pack then under your tongue. My mum finds this relieves acute cramping. Magnesium sulfate is the active ingredient if u want to google it.

Emphasis on the tiny... mag sulfate is a pretty good laxative.

Emphasis on the tiny... mag sulfate is a pretty good laxative.
I knew that, but didn't want to say it. Now someone will bring up The Maneuver.

I find what works best for cramps-- calf cramps in my case but should work for foot cramps as well-- is stretching exercises before you dive. Face a wall and put your foot back flat on the ground, to stretch the calf muscles and the plantar fascia. Also toe lifts and some other exercises before you dive should help.

Unfortunately cramps are common and impact 90% of the population (so they say), so diagnosing is difficult. I think staying hydrated is key and make sure your diet is balanced. Women often need calcium as they grow older. Diving does dehydrate the body so if your hydration is low when you start a dive it will only get worst.

Here is an exert from a Dr. on cramps.

DrSugar:
Common causes of muscle cramps include: overuse of a muscle, dehydration, depletion of salt and minerals (electrolytes such as magnesium, potassium and calcium), muscle strain/injury, or simply holding a position for a prolonged period of time. Another type of common muscle cramp is a nocturnal or rest cramp, which happens in your calf or toe muscles when you are resting or sleeping. However, the exact cause of muscle cramps remains unknown, although some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction.

In terms of treatment for muscle and foot cramps, you can generally treat muscle cramps with self-care measures, and most cramps can be stopped if the muscle can be stretched. For many cramps of the feet and legs, this stretching can be done by simply standing up and walking around. Typically, you want to try and gently stretch the muscle away from the cramping position and hold it there until the cramp goes away. Gently massaging the muscle will often help it to relax, as will applying warmth from a heating pad or hot/warm soak. If the muscle cramp is associated with fluid loss, as usually is the case with physical activity, fluid and electrolyte replacement is essential. There are a few steps you can take to prevent muscle cramps. Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of liquids every day and during physical activity, replenish fluids at regular intervals and continue hydration after you’re finished. Also, stretch your muscles before and after you use any muscle for an extended period. If you have night cramps, stretch the affected muscles before bedtime.

fin slower.
why rush?

Unfortunately cramps are common and impact 90% of the population (so they say), so diagnosing is difficult. I think staying hydrated is key and make sure your diet is balanced. Women often need calcium as they grow older. Diving does dehydrate the body so if your hydration is low when you start a dive it will only get worst.

Here is an exert from a Dr. on cramps.

I suggested this in post #6.

I came here to ask about foot cramps, and what do I know, there's already a thread!
In my case I don't think it's dehydration. For one I already drink a magnesium rehydration drink during and after every gym session.

Secondly, it's only really started since switching to tech fins. Now in my case, it's seems to consistently be my "smaller" foot. Is it possible that the looser boot could contribute to this? I was thinking about trying the next size down.

If you've recently changed boots/fins that is where I'd look first. For me a tighter fitting boot/fin will certainly cause cramps, not a looser one. But maybe if your foot is really having to struggle in the new boot, it could be a problem. Just never had that happen even when I've had to use a men's size 10 boot & big fins (I'm a women's 7) - it was awkward but didn't get cramps.

Happy to report another day with no cramping underwater. No idea why I've been clear two days in a row now. Only thing I can think of is that my muscles are remembering how this whole thing works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom