Cozumel’s diving is so “rushed”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a little different. I don’t feel rushed by the schedule of a liveaboard because no one is waiting for me to get ready and jump into the ocean. I can gear up and do that “on my own time” and usually am somewhere in the middle of the group (i. e. not the first or last). No one cares when you jump, as long as it’s within the “window”, so no rushed feeling.

For liveaboards that dive from a dinghy, my only experience was on a phinisi in Indo and those boats are SLOW. It kind of set the tempo for everything else. In my first couple of gearing ups, I geared up using my “Cozumel speed” and soon realized it wasn’t required. People just weren’t in a rush. I thereafter slowed down and quite enjoyed it.

When I mentioned I felt rushed on a liveaboard, I indeed had in mind one where the diving was done from RIBs (dinghys). I needed to be in line to board the RIB at the exact same time as the others. I would be dozing in my cabin after lunch, the bell would ring to announce the next dive, and it was time to scramble. There was a set time at which the RIB was scheduled to depart, and fellow divers did not appreciate when one of us held up the others who were standing there waiting to board. Because the crew wanted to control the weight distribution, nobody boarded the RIB until all divers who were going to dive were assembled. I suppose every boat is a little different.

When I mentioned I felt rushed on a liveaboard, I indeed had in mind one where the diving was done from RIBs (dinghys). I needed to be in line to board the RIB at the exact same time as the others. I would be dozing in my cabin after lunch, the bell would ring to announce the next dive, and it was time to scramble. There was a set time at which the RIB was scheduled to depart, and fellow divers did not appreciate when one of us held up the others who were standing there waiting to board. Because the crew wanted to control the weight distribution, nobody boarded the RIB until all divers who were going to dive were assembled. I suppose every boat is a little different.

It’s very possible that that one LOB I did with a dinghy was out of the ordinary. The makeup of the boat was very different than the typical stereotypical LOB. There was a big group of younger tech divers, and the vibe they gave off was definitely more relaxed. I don’t want to guess at why that was but perhaps they’re kind of like me - day job is a rat race so they really wanted to slow down on vacation? Or maybe all their tech gear needed a bit more time for checks? Who knows? I’m just guessing.

It’s very possible that that one LOB I did with a dinghy was out of the ordinary. The makeup of the boat was very different than the typical stereotypical LOB. There was a big group of younger tech divers, and the vibe they gave off was definitely more relaxed. I don’t want to guess at why that was but perhaps they’re kind of like me - day job is a rat race so they really wanted to slow down on vacation? Or maybe all their tech gear needed a bit more time for checks? Who knows? I’m just guessing.

Dunno. But as much as I agree with your sentiment about Coz, I'm currently trying to figure out if I can squeeze in a Coz trip in July. I can't wait to feel rushed! :)

Every operation runs according to some schedule. There are meetup times, departure times, dive times, dinner times, etc. That's just a fact of life when existing within a group. It's up to you to abide by the schedule. Some people have better time management skills than others. Some can operate within these times smoothly and efficiently and some feel "rushed". Nobody can help what someone else "feels". If you need or want more time to do something allow yourself more time to do something.

Dunno. But as much as I agree with your sentiment about Coz, I'm currently trying to figure out if I can squeeze in a Coz trip in July. I can't wait to feel rushed! :)
I am really squeezing a trip in this week, if all goes to plan fly in tomorrow evening, 4 dives Wed. 2 dives Thur. then an early AM flight out Friday AM.

FOMO (Fear of missing out)

Generally on LoB (Our preferred way of diving), my wife and I only take 3 dives a day. You have to be pretty persuasive to get us in teh water for a 4th dive which is generally an evening/night dive. We're no fan of them, and is wastes good chilling time with beer and a book on a quiet boat.

Because we make 10 or so dives a month at home, we don't care about dive quantity - and because our preferred dives are those with current - 3 good workouts per day is enough.

However recently in Misool (shore based) FOMO took hold of me, and over 12 days I racked up 48 dives. I would go out with the Dive staff for a second afternoon dive trying to get more manta ID's Sometime it took a real effort to haul myself to the dive centre when my wife and friends wee relaxing with their books on loungers, and for sure there were some dives that I came back from that in hindsight were "a bit meh" Others though... Yeah baby!!!

Thankfully we had 2 days by a poolside on the way home for me to relax. Would I do it again? My brain says no - but ask me again when I'm there and it's a "no cost dive" and I'm bound to say yes (unless its a night dive)

Good point on occasionally sacrificing the night dive on a LoB for a few cold beers. One time I'm glad I didn't was when my buddy and I were the only two divers on a dusk / night dive on the Thistlegorm. Having the whole wreck to ourselves was a perfectly surreal and privileged experience.

Feel rushed? 90 minutes to Dalila ought to give you plenty of time for anything....

I don't like being rushed either and I can see why someone might feel that way in Coz. The most rushed I've ever felt though, was in Key Largo. I wanted to give myself a 60 min SI after dive #1. No problem, but the pool opened for dive #2 before my 60 mins would be up and the Capt put a 60 min time limit on dive 2 starting from when he opened the diving for everyone, not when we buddy pairs got in the water. I get it, they had a schedule to keep, but it was rushed.

Good point on occasionally sacrificing the night dive on a LoB for a few cold beers.

Personally, I can drink cold beers anytime. Good night dives, at least for me are few and far between and are some of the best diving I've ever experienced. I will nearly always take the time to experience that world whenever possible over drinking a beer. Besides, the night dive is usually early in the evening and only lasts around an hour or so. That still leaves plenty of time for a cold one afterward!

Being from the Midwest, local lake night dives are just inky blackness. Not much fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom