Cozumel Restaurant List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The owner of Ohana's once told me that they didn't need advertising because they were so famous. We don't charge to be on the map, but if you don't want to be listed, we can leave you out if that's what you want. I will put Ohana's on the map and see if they complain...
FWIW, the correct spelling of the restaurant's name is 'Ohana. It's a Hawaiian word that roughly means "extended family". Mateo (the owner) is an old friend of mine.

Where is Ohana's on the list of All restaurants

FWIW, the correct spelling of the restaurant's name is 'Ohana. It's a Hawaiian word that roughly means "extended family". Mateo (the owner) is an old friend of mine.

I will spell it Ohana. If I don't, the accent mark screws with the alphabetical order. If Mateo doesn't like it without the Hawaiian accent mark, I can take the name back off the list. Or maybe I could misspell it O'Hana, like so many do. That won't mess with the alphabetical order.

Wikipedia? Really? Not Chat GPT? I guess "Right most of the time" is good enough.

Camillo's did not move. There are two Camillo's with slightly different names that are not related. One is on 5th Ave. The other is in the building that used to be El Timon on 11th Ave., which closed. For a list of ALL the restaurants in Cozumel and their locations on an interactive map, see:

Interactive list of restaurants and their locations - EverythingCozumel

and

Interactive List of Restaurants, Bars Beach Clubs - EverythingCozumel
Are you sure about that? Usually I trust your Cozumel knowledge :)

The staff that used to be at the Camilio's on Av5 now seem to be at the Camilio's on Ave 11 entre 30 y 25. The logo is also different. The logo that I am familiar with used to be on Av5 is now the on the other one. They seemed to have "moved" in August.

I have been eating at the one between 30 y 25 once a week and the staff (I'm terrible with names) recognized me from the previous location.

1676048482386.png

Are you sure about that? Usually I trust your Cozumel knowledge :)

The staff that used to be at the Camilio's on Av5 now seem to be at the Camilio's on Ave 11 entre 30 y 25. The logo is also different. The logo that I am familiar with used to be on Av5 is now the on the other one. They seemed to have "moved" in August.

I have been eating at the one between 30 y 25 once a week and the staff (I'm terrible with names) recognized me from the previous location.

I am sure about that.

Alfredo Camillo, the owner of Camillo's on 5a Av died. His daughter inherited the restaurant. She did not want to run it so she sold it to a family friend. The chef at Camillo's on 5th Ave today is the same one they always had there. Same old chef, same old location, new owner.

Manuel Limon built the condos and restaurant El Timon on Av. Quintana Roo near 30th. The pandemic put him in a bind so he sold that property along with his beach club and other businesses on Cozumel. The new property owner (a friend of mine) rented the restaurant space out to Alfredo Camillo's ex-wife, who decided to open a new restaurant there using the name Camillos but with a new chef. New chef, new location, new owner, but same old name as the one on 5th. Maybe she poached some of the old waiters, I don't know.

The old place on 5th then changed its name from Camillo's to Camillo's Seafood & Drinks after the new restaurant on Av. Quintana Roo started using the old name Camillo's, which may not have been registered, (I don't know that for sure).

They are not associated with each other.

I am sure about that.

Alfredo Camillo, the owner of Camillo's on 5a Av died. His daughter inherited the restaurant. She did not want to run it so she sold it to a family friend. The chef at Camillo's on 5th Ave today is the same one they always had there. Same old chef, same old location, new owner.

Manuel Limon built the condos and restaurant El Timon on Av. Quintana Roo near 30th. The pandemic put him in a bind so he sold that property along with his beach club and other businesses on Cozumel. The new property owner (a friend of mine) rented the restaurant space out to Alfredo Camillo's ex-wife, who decided to open a new restaurant there using the name Camillos but with a new chef. New chef, new location, new owner, but same old name as the one on 5th. Maybe she poached some of the old waiters, I don't know.

The old place on 5th then changed its name from Camillo's to Camillo's Seafood & Drinks after the new restaurant on Av. Quintana Roo started using the old name Camillo's, which may not have been registered, (I don't know that for sure).

Gracias. Thanks for the history / clarification. I knew something had changed but I wasnt sure.

I will spell it Ohana. If I don't, the accent mark screws with the alphabetical order. If Mateo doesn't like it without the Hawaiian accent mark, I can take the name back off the list. Or maybe I could misspell it O'Hana, like so many do. That won't mess with the alphabetical order.
Of the two, I would bet that Mateo would prefer Ohana over O'hana (I have even seen it called O'Hanna's in here). It isn't an Irish pub. :D

I am sure about that.

Thank you for the clarification. We had dinner at the one on 11 and were told it was just the new location by the staff.

Nor is it Hawaiian.
No, but that is the name Mateo and Angela chose for it, whatever their reason, and we should respect that. I don't think they would have a problem with omitting the leading apostrophe for your listing, but that's just my opinion; I do not claim to speak for them.

No, but that is the name Mateo and Angela chose for it, whatever their reason, and we should respect that. I don't think they would have a problem with omitting the leading apostrophe for your listing, but that's just my opinion; I do not claim to speak for them.

Am I wrong in the belief that Mateo is not actually an owner or partner in the restaurant, but only married to one? Just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom