Cozumel November 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday we went diving at Punta Sur. Vibrant sealife and healthy coral. Visibility was not the greatest but still plenty to see. Massive turtles, abundant barrel sponges and ginormous, bold barracuda. Max depth of 110 feet and while worthwhile, I am not a fan of such deep dives. Second dive was at Francesca. Absolutely no current. We saw 6 turtles, a green moray and two spotted eels. Also plentiful sightings of Splended Toadfish. I wish I could post some pics but my camera flooded on the first dive. After a Christian Bale sized meltdown, I survived and although should feel liberated without the camera, I miss my comerade dearly. On the boat ride from Punta Sur, we encountered two dolphins frolicking near the boat. This was my first dolphin encounter!

Today the guys went Cenote diving while us girls went stand up paddleboarding. I am dying to pick up my custom designed day of the dead shirt this evening. A great trip so far. Loved Parilla Mission and empanadas from Del Sur.

Last edited:
Thanks all! Let's keep the updates coming- helps get me through the work days while we wait to leave :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

First dive today was at Santa Rosa wall. Saw a large nurse shark, two spotted morays, massive parrot fish, and the usual Caribbean suspects. When we surfaced it was pouring rain. Things cleared up by the time we started our second dive at Tunich. Current was mild to moderate. This dive was all about grouper. Two of the grouper were massive and solid black. It was amazing to watch their behavior at the cleaning station. Classic tilt to both sides before departing while the next one moved in. A few minutes later we saw two Nassau grouper swimming together. We also spotted a green moray and hawksbill turtle. When we surfaced the wind produced some large swells and rough seas. Weather has been all over the map. No eagle ray sightings yet. Our last dive is tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Had what I think will be my last meal at Casa Dennis. Food was pricey and rather bland. The fumes and noise from the fire dancers were incredibly annoying. I picked up my Day of the Dead t shirt. I am a terrible haggler and negotiator. Pretty sure I got soaked. But the artwork and ability to have a custom made shirt will be a unique and fun souvenir.

Arrived Sat. Two planes arrived, we were the second to get in the immigration line, and wound up the third family from the rear of the line. Line moved fast and were through in about 15-20 minutes. At baggage, people were still waiting for their luggage and ours came through....passed a lot of people at this point. After baggage check and going through the sliding doors, went directly to the shuttle ticket booth (go forward diagonally to the right; last booth.) Cost to North Hotel Zone is $19.20 us (must use tarjeto de credito (sorry: just practicing some Spanish - credit card) or Mexican money. Take your tickets out the doors of airport and shuttles are right there. The wait before taking off is short. Pretty easy for being at the end of the immigration line.

Now if the weather will cooperate, my first dives are Monday!!

Thanks for the updates morecowbells.
Sounds like you all are havinga good time.
How has the weather been, much rain?

B.S., the weather has been off and on with the rain, lots of overcast. I figure on getting wet when I dive so I look at as a fresh water rince when it rains, although a top on the boat is kinda nice for the surface interval.
As a Dive-a-holic I doubt you will notice. Unlike yourself, I showed restraint yesterday and only did 4 dives (288 minutes) and on the last one, San Clemente, as I was headed for the boat, I still had air but it was getting dark, Chan Fran called out and pointed to a pod of Dolphins about 50 yards ahead. I dropped back down and watched them play as they cruised off, with the lack of light the vis wasn't enough for video but it was still pretty cool. I know you see them often in So Cal but this was my first from underwater, I was stoked, went to Woody's for dinner and then watched the dancing and listen to music in the square, another fantastic day in Cozumel.
Will need to walk down to BA and have a beer with you this week, let me know if Abraham is still playing in the evenings.

Great weather conditions Monday and Tuesday morning for diving. Dove with ProDive whose pier is at the Allegro on south end of island. Except for air bubbles escaping through the BRAND NEW disconnect hose of my computer, diving was great. Decided to take Wed. off and woke up to rain....good timing on my part. Dove Santa Rosa Wall and Torments Reef Tuesday. Saw good size nurse shark (saw 6 reef sharks on Mon.), sting ray, lobster, crab, grouper, nudibranch, some small things I hadn't seen before, and lots of fish. The other group off the boat saw 2 eagle rays that divers have been looking for this week. Met great people.

As a side note, I am at the Melia Resort, in an ocean view room, on north end of island. Taxi ride to Allegro is ~25 minutes. All inclusive for week is $45 a day, with 3 places to eat...the food is good (although you can find something you probably won't like.) The alcohol is not watered down either! Lots of brand name liquor, no extra charge. Although the golf course has a lot of standing water from all the rain, apparently a part of staying here is "free" golf. Beach is nice but water is brown to about 50 yds out. A short walk to the next resort over has a pier that somehow blocks the brown water from getting in..there are fish to be seen here if you want to snorkel by the resort. Enjoy your stays wherever you are!

PICT0068.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0135.jpg
    PICT0135.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 157
Is that shark at Santa Rosa wall? Just dove there on Friday and I may have seen the same shark (it was sleeping under the cliff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom