Trip Report Back to Cozumel- December 4th-14th, 2022- Ambient Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just never get tired of Cozumel. The island, the people, the culture, the food, the diving. After a 10 day trip last month, I made my way back down this month for another 10 days. The November trip report can be found here: Trip Report - Cozumel Trip Report: October 30 – November 9, 2022

This was a very different trip due to staying in a completely new place and also diving with a "sort of" new dive operator. I say "sort of" new dive op because Ambient Diver is a relatively new dive operation, but the Boat Captain (Nivo) and Divemaster (Martin) are both long time friends that I have been diving with for about 7 years and the owner is @ChuckP who is a regular contributor here on the Board.

I don't want to gush too much about Ambient Diver, as I might not be able to get a coveted seat on future trips. Seriously, my expectations were met and exceeded. There is nothing I can nitpick about- only praises and positives. Great 6 pack boat with "no slip" flooring and seating. All of the little niceties that are not lost on a discriminating world-wide dive traveler like me. Let me mention a few:

1. Very deep dive ladder to ease reentry back onto the boat.
2. Proper surface intervals to accommodate everyone (location of surface interval, time of surface interval, quality fruit and refreshments during surface intervals...)
3. Nice micro fiber towels for drying off and warmth during the dive day.
4. Legit Valet service. All gear properly set up each day and between dives. Once you told them how much lead you needed on day 1, it was remembered and taken care of every day thereafter.
5. Small group of divers that collaborated on choosing dive sites and conscious of steering clear of the hordes of other divers.
6. On point competitive pricing.
7. Safety conscious. On board Nitrox analyzer (you'd think that would be a given, but it is not in my experience).
8. Detailed dive briefs and dive plan.
9. Responsive communication and always willing to go the extra mile (ownership and boat staff).
10. Eco conscious-- no plastic water bottles. Refillable and branded aluminum water bottles that were gifted at the end fo the dive trip.
11. All dive gear, including wetsuits taken care of each day. Properly washed, rinsed and dried!

OK-- enough gushing-- I am seriously jeopardizing myself here :)

Not going to speak too much about accommodations on this trip. I stayed at the El Cantil Condominiums and facilitated that through VRBO. It is right on the waterfront, midway between Mega and Chedraui and adjacent to the Cozumel Palace. A 2 bedroom/2 bath condo fully furnished to the max. Great pools, jacuzzi, sunsets, snorkeling (if desired) and great 24/7 concierge staff and security. Zero complaints and it served the intended purpose to give my 80+ year old mom and her husband a wonderful vacation and well deserved experience.
I am personally very happy that I have the resources to do that, but not something I would do again (if just for me or me and my wife).
I am quite content to stay closer to downtown and in places that cost 1/3 the price. See all of my other Coz trip reports to see where I usually stay.

Water temps were a consistent 82 and air temps basically the same.

I don't think I saw as many seahorses, as on this trip. They were everywhere and the spotted Eagle Rays were also showing up in masse. Some of the biggest I have ever seen. Amazing how just a month can change things- particularly this time of year. I particularly enjoyed all of the macro stuff. Martin can spot them from a mile away. Including my first ever tiny little mantis shrimp in Cozumel. Only ever seen quite large ones in the Philippines and Sea of Cortez.

1671488446442.jpeg

1671488715115.jpeg

1671488741504.jpeg

1671488785020.jpeg

1671488924235.png

Some nice pictures there.

That mantis shrimp looks quite cool too bad I didn't get to see one out and about. I believe I got to see all the same packs of seahorses as you did. Martin definitely knows where they are hanging out. Great boat/OP/ Dm and captains that Ambient divers has access too.

Funny I am getting ready to post my thoughts on Ambient as well...for similar dates:wink: I'm just a slacker since I didn't even stay as long..

I also have also run into ops in the past down there without analyzers on board and indeed there was always one on both boats supplied by Ambient Diver that we frequented throughout the week.

How many dives were you able to get in?

Some nice pictures there.

That mantis shrimp looks quite cool too bad I didn't get to see one out and about. I believe I got to see all the same packs of seahorses as you did. Martin definitely knows where they are hanging out. Great boat/OP/ Dm and captains that Ambient divers has access too.

Funny I am getting ready to post my thoughts on Ambient as well...for similar dates:wink: I'm just a slacker since I didn't even stay as long..

I also have also run into ops in the past down there without analyzers on board and indeed there was always one on both boats supplied by Ambient Diver that we frequented throughout the week.

How many dives were you able to get in?
18 dives. Did 2 morning dives each day. Spent afternoons and evenings with my mom.

You always provide such great trip reports! I have heard a lot of positive buzz over Ambient Divers. Were you able to dive your own air versus group ascents? Great pics, especially of the seahorses. I remember seeing a Mantis Shrimp while diving the Blur Heron Bridge. He didn't cooperate with my camera. So glad you got this shot!

You always provide such great trip reports! I have heard a lot of positive buzz over Ambient Divers. Were you able to dive your own air versus group ascents? Great pics, especially of the seahorses. I remember seeing a Mantis Shrimp while diving the Blur Heron Bridge. He didn't cooperate with my camera. So glad you got this shot!
Thanks @morecowbells that means a lot. Your photography is always amazing! And yes-- dive your tank. You will not be limited by anyone surfacing early. Martin is super attentive and checking everyone's air pressure every 20 minutes. If anyone is low on air, he will shoot his SMB and people can surface as needed and everyone else can continue on. Most of our dives were in the 70 minute range depending on profile.

... I stayed at the El Cantil Condominiums and facilitated that through VRBO. It is right on the waterfront, midway between Mega and Chedraui and adjacent to the Cozumel Palace. A 2 bedroom/2 bath condo fully furnished to the max. Great pools, jacuzzi, sunsets, snorkeling (if desired) and great 24/7 concierge staff and security.
And probably had the pool and sand area to yourselves. We rarely see many people there from next door at the palace

Love that electric ray; cool animals! Appreciate the breakdown on the place you stayed. Divers come from a range of perspectives (and vary a lot based on whether and who they bring with them), so understanding the pro.s and con.s on one accommodation option vs. others is quite useful. When I travel alone, I'm after cheap. Add the wife and kid, and it's another story.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom