Cozumel November 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just arrived. As soon as we got in the airport bus/limo, the heavens opened. Hard to start a vacation with weather like this and it's supposed to be like this all week I hear? :confused:

As others have said it will not affect the quality of diving but there is something nice about not sitting in driving rain going to and from the dive site and sitting in the sun with a cerveza. Oh well- not much we can do but make the best of it.

Just arrived. As soon as we got in the airport bus/limo, the heavens opened. Hard to start a vacation with weather like this and it's supposed to be like this all week I hear? :confused:

As others have said it will not affect the quality of diving but there is something nice about not sitting in driving rain going to and from the dive site and sitting in the sun with a cerveza. Oh well- not much we can do but make the best of it.

Yes, I got soaked! I was hoping for some sunshine. Now I know why it's not busy here.

Barry, I will let you know how the Afrin works out. Thankfully the Afrin and Claritin prevented another sinus headache flying into Cozumel so I'm confident I will be fine when diving.

I will be careful with the Afrin because I used to rely on that stuff exclusively to breathe: not fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See you there! A group from Key Largo will be there at the same time.

As our plane circled the Cozumel airport a couple of times it became evident that the weather was not cooperating thus our flight was diverted to Cancun. Fortunately we sat on the runway and refueled which took about an hour. Second attempt successful! Norte moved in and I was certain all dived would be aborted today. Around 8 the harbor master gave us the green light. I proceeded to begrudgingy dive. I was worried about rough seas and poor visibility. Thankfully I was wrong! Stunning dives. Saw 6 turtles-including my first loggerhead sighting. Found my first seahorse.

Fred and Donna will be at Hotel Cozumel, diving with Dive Paradise along with 7 others from Key Largo, from Nov. 9-16.

Mike and Lily - Nov 15-22 - Allegro - Aldora

Todays diving started out rainy, but eventually the sun prevailed. Icing on the cake were the two black tip reef reef sharks at Columbia Reef.

Fantastic morecowbells. We are going to Columbia tomorrow. I hope the sharks are still there. I will have my GoPro 3 with me for the first time on a boat dive so maybe I can post a few pics of them.

My wife & I are feeling the adrenaline rush of having been out in the water despite the weather. The fact that this afternoon and evening turned out so beautiful was just a bonus.
The diving has been spectacular. On Monday we were at Paso de Cedral and Tormentos. Cedral was particularly good. A 6' turtle, a huge spotted eagle ray flying by, mating lobsters- all the good stuff.

Even today- where we just had a kit check shore dive (both my wife and I were having congestion issues- and had some kit problems yesterday) we had the joy of watching a full on battle between some brown colored fish with vicious looking teeth and a small black & white striped eel. It went on for about 3-4 minutes- which is a long time in underwater politics.

Cozumel has its downsides on land- the cruise ship patrons and the hawkers who prey on them, the general shabbiness of the buildings, and an often uncooperative climate, but the diving is the best that I have experienced. (Not that I've been everywhere, but after southern CA, pacific Mexico- Cabo and Puerto Escondito, and Oman- it's by far the best diving I have experienced yet).

Thanks for your posts MCB and ZZ. Nice to hear that despite the weather the diving has been good. The forecast for my time (starting Nov. 9) is 30% chance of rain everyday, down from 60% Sat. and Sun.

These will be my first dives with my own air integrated dive computer. I have worn others when required, but never really paid any attention to them. Can hardly wait to try it out.

Keep having great times and experiences.

---------- Post added November 6th, 2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

I have a question for all of you that are not renting a car OR do not have your resort providing a shuttle service to pick you up from the airport.

How are you getting from the airport to where you are staying? Has anyone ever used Cancun Discounts? Any recommendations?

Jon, you cannot get a taxi to leave directly from the airport. The shuttle company has a concession.
See the sticky link for Arriving/Departing from the airport in this forum. Here is also a link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/413080-arriving-departing-cozumel-airport-guided-tour.html

The first part of the thread starts March 2011 but is still applicable and as of last Feb the process and ticket window has not changed.

The prices vary by destination. We always drag our bags outside (it's covered) and send one of us back in to by the tickets (one way).

As noted, if we have stops for dropping off others before you get to your hotel, I always make sure to watch what bags get dropped off to make sure it isn't one of ours.
There are some other options for transportation as outlined in the sticky link but may require extra effort and maybe time. I recall you said you were staying on the North end of the island so your trip should be short and less costly.

You would need to take a taxi back to the airport. The hotel front desk should be able to tell you about cost or ask a taxi driver (or two or three or five) when you are in town.

Guess we won't be seeing you on the boat as you were looking for a different dive op. Good luck.

I generally don't use any coupons or discounts/promotions for these things.

Back
Top Bottom