Cozumel non-diving all inclusive packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think all of the southern resorts are AI since there is no place around to obtain food. They seem more popular with non-divers even tho they are closer to the popular dive sites. I guess any of them would do for a first visit if one wanted to stay on property and avoid the island in general - a good idea on Jamaica but sad for Coz.
Yup, would be sad to miss thousands of cruise-ship tourists, 4 Diamonds International shops, and, of course, Tanzanite International, in favor of a white-sand beach at a quiet tropical resort filled with birds, iguanas, and the occasional crocodile.

It is entirely possible that some people don't think of a noisy congested city when they dream of their idyllic Caribbean vacation. Sad, but true.

It is my friend and her daughter. As far as is planned. I have been passing information on to her. I really appreciate it. I know there are sites I can look at, but sometimes it is easier for me to ask those that have been somewhere. Thanks so much (again) for sharing!

Price range helps for recommendations too. Are we talking $100/night, $200/night, or $375/night AI?

Wow. Well, who doesn't like quiet beaches, birds and iguanas, and who doesn't at least occasionally tire of crowds and people wanting to sell you stuff? You've got a point, and if you mostly want a pretty beach and a handsome room near an open bar, or your vacations are partly about turning off the part of your brain that negotiates with the world, and the reason you're choosing Cozumel over Jamaica is that you like margaritas more than rum punch, those southern AIs are probably among the best choices. They can make for a pleasant holiday, and they're exactly what some people are envisioning when they think "tropical vacation."

But if the reason you're choosing Cozumel, even on an AI basis, is because you think you might frequently enjoy hanging out on the square at night, or enjoy a walk into town in the quiet of the early morning when things feel a little more peaceful, or you actually like to spend hours upon hours bargaining for handicrafts or comparing silver bracelets (or gems, for that matter), the far-out resorts aren't quite as conducive to that. Not without renting a car or incurring some sizable taxi fares, anyhow.

All are valid motivations, of course. That's why I was curious about how the OP had sold her (?) friends on Cozumel. Was it simply the appeal of wanting a tropical vacation and knowing someone who could help them navigate it, or was it the perception of Cozumel as friendly/laid back, or was it the availability of party bars and lots of shopping? Or something else? And how important is it that it be cheap vs. fancy?

Expectations could make a huge difference in choosing a place that they'll want to come back to. I was talking to someone recently who was in Cancun and traveled all the way to Cozumel because he just liked the sound of it and had always imagined Cozumel as this sort of swank, old-school rich-person resort destination. Like the Monte Carlo of the Mexican Riviera, I think. And, of course, with the cruise ships spewing people ashore, that's not exactly what he saw (they were already disappointed with the ambiance of Cancun). In that case, I don't even think I could have steered him to a spot that would have met his expectations, but, well, we can try.

But if the reason you're choosing Cozumel, even on an AI basis, is because you think you might frequently enjoy hanging out on the square at night, or enjoy a walk into town in the quiet of the early morning when things feel a little more peaceful, or you actually like to spend hours upon hours bargaining for handicrafts or comparing silver bracelets (or gems, for that matter), the far-out resorts aren't quite as conducive to that. Not without renting a car or incurring some sizable taxi fares, anyhow.
Town square, no. But the AIs do have vendors on site selling handicrafts, silver bracelets, etc. Not as many, to be sure, but how many tables/booths of the same handicrafts and silver bracelets can you spend bargaining at? As for quiet walks in the morning, I'll take a nice walk on a real beach any day. But I'm usually diving early in the morning and my only walk is to the dive boat.

You're right, we all have our varied preferences. Cozumel is multi-faceted, good as serving all sorts of tastes, from cruise ship shopper to dedicated diver and plenty in between.

If time permits, maybe a combo vacation could be in order. Half the trip at a southern AI, half in town. Then one can get an idea of what one likes best before planning a future trip.

As to the AIs having vendors, I noticed even the Hotel Cozumel had a few, including one of the spray-paint fire artists.

Mossman, obviously you've found what you like, and so have I (and I'm not recommending my choice for the OP). You make really valid points on the southern AIs, especially about the appeal of the better beaches. I understand the appeal even if I don't subscribe to it. But if they ever invent the cute, funky, close-to-town BADI Beach Inn (Breakfast and All Drinks Included), I'll probably book it. And then run up a snack bill on top of it.

I mostly posted not to naysay the southern AIs, or any AIs, but just to urge these people to really know what they want before they go listening to the likes of us. It worries me when I see people "plus one-ing" for things without a clue as to whether they might or might not be up someone's alley. I didn't really enjoy Hotel Coz all that much, but I know I would get itchy at a place like the Allegro, too. I actually suspect that the OP's friends will be well-served by one of the southern options, but I don't want to assume.

I do dearly hope that if they go with a southern AI, they'll at least rent a car for a day or two and get a feel for the island (beyond the waterfront tout zone) and make their own little discoveries.

Not really. I mean the Palace is great, but it lacks certain things like quiet and a beach and better food. And I agree the southern resorts are too far, but I can live without town. I'm hoping Secrets will be perfect, but I already know it's not from the reviews I've been reading daily. My first trip to the island we stayed at the Presidente and that was probably my worst trip overall. On the other hand, I had lots of fun staying at the Bahia during Carnival and diving with a cheapo dive op that didn't even have a covered panga, and another trip I had an excellent time at Fiesta Inn (Hotel Cozumel) with a large group and diving on cattleboats with Dive Paradise.

So, yeah, I guess I've plenty that I like, but still nothing that I can love without qualification.

I guess if I found a spot that had rooms as nice as the Palace, larger grounds and a beach like the Occidental, was close to town but not too close, and even better than your AI drinks and breakfast, have an adjustable daily AI option where you can decide on the spot whether you wanted to stay AI and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and do your drinking on the premises, or go out for your meals.

What I hate about a luxury AI is that you're paying too much to be able to blow off meals and eat in town whenever you feel like it. On the other hand, the crappy AI's where you have to blow off meals if you want something edible are just like staying at a non-AI since you're committed to having to go out every night. So many trade-offs.

I really like staying in town and eating in town, I really do. But I really like not having to go out every night to get dinner, I really do. Maybe I'm just schizophrenic and half of me won't be happy no matter what I do :(

On this trip, I'm with a non-diver who I know won't be exploring on her own while I'm out diving. Also, she's expressed an interest in an AI. So it's AI for her, even though we both had a great one night in town when we cruised there in December. Entertainment, room service, big pools and beach will keep her occupied by day better than any non-AI, so AI was a no-brainer for this trip. On the other hand, if she decided to get certified some day (this trip my aim is to get her to love snorkeling), staying in town would be a definitely possibility. One thing I haven't done yet is rent a condo and El Cantil looks great if I can get a decent rate on a 1 BR unit some time.

Indeed you should do what works best for you, and everyone's circumstances differ. For us the Palace can't be beat, and in part for several trips it was because of a unique room configuration they offer that suited us well and was not too pricey. We loved the loft suite, with two bedrooms on two floors, when traveling with my daughter. That set up was ideal with just enough privacy and the ability to keep track of a teenager. With her and I diving, my wife hit the spa and exercise room. We came back from diving, hit the pool for lunch and volleyball, and swim to the bar. Jump off the pier and snorkel or just float. Have dinner, relax, repeat - for as many days as we could swing. We typically blew off dinner a few nights each trip to eat in town (Kinta!) hit the square if something was going on (cool VW bug show last August), and shop a little. Teenage daughter would head into town a few evenings with the teens she met there. Between a few nights in town and the chef's special dinner, we didn't have to repeat any of the AI restaurants and everyone was happy. It worked for us, perfectly, and we were hooked after our first trip. As a group, we would rather be close to town than have a beach. It seems to me that the great thing about the island is that there are so many options available at a variety of price points so that if you look hard, you will likely find the ideal set-up for your group - or a reasonable approximation anyway.

And here I figured the perfect room setup with a teenage daughter would be one with a lockable bedroom so you can prevent her from heading into town to meet up with other teens :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom