Cozumel March or April 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vannsbtch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are going back to Cozumel in either March or April ( I should know next week) and we are staying at the Sabor (used to be a Wyndham). They have an onsite dive shop that we used last time. Is there any other place anyone would recommend? Also we had a hard time finding a place that had good food last time. Any recommendations?

Thanks

WOW..... Good food.... Not a problem. Christi has made this terrific list which I have copied for you:

OK - I've updated what was there already with corrected addresses and I've deleted a few places that have either closed or are no longer on "my" list of recommendations :) I have several to add with descriptions and addresses - but I'll have to do it another time - it's late :) In the meantime, some of these places off the top of my head that will be added are:
Kinta
Prima
Los Otates
Rock-n-Java Thai noodle bar
El Bistro
Albertos
La Candela

Christi’s Restaurant List (in no particular order)

* right around $5 or less ** $5 to $15 * ** $10 to $15 **** $10 to $30+

**La Choza – NEW LOCATION - Av. 10 between Calle 3 and Rosada Salas Open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yucatecan style Mexican food – Shrimp Chile Rellenos, and fajitas are among my favorites.

**Sonora Grill – Corner of Av. 15 and Benito Juarez. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
Mexican Seafood and traditional fare. Sonora shrimp and garlic shrimp are my favorites. (I actually haven't been here in quite awhile - but I'm sure it's still good)

**El Moro – back in the hood…just tell the taxi driver the name of the restaurant Open for lunch and dinner, closed on Thursdays. Traditional and local Mexican food with a great seafood selection. Consommé de Moro, shrimp on a wire, and Mole Enchiladas are my favorites. Try the fried bananas as a desert or appetizer.

*El Pique – Av. 30 between Benito Juarez and Calle 2 (across from San Francisco) Open 7 days a week for dinner only. My favorite taco stand. Tacos el Pastor or beef tacos with cheese, serape style

*Las Palmas (cocina economica) – corner of Av. 25 and Calle 3 Cheap eats for lunch only Monday through Saturday. My favorite is the Chicken Relleno.

*Chilangos – Av. 10 between Calle 11 and Calle 15 Open for lunch only Monday through Friday. Another cheap local eats place. Daily specials vary.

*Camilo’s – Av 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 Open 7 days a week from 10:00am to 7:00pm
One of my very favorites! Seafood tacos and tortas. My favorites are the shrimp tacos or shrimp torta.

**** Guido’s – Main waterfront between Calle 6 and Calle 8 Open Monday through Saturday for lunch and dinner. Another favorite. Not to be missed. Excellent calzones, pizza, and I typically order the daily seafood special. The ne remodel is really beautiful and creates an even nicer environment than before.

**** French Quarter – Av. 5 between Adolpho Rosada Salas and Calle 3 Open Wednesday through Monday (closed on Tuesdays) for dinner only + a nice bar area ith a great bartender named Jan who hails from Chicago! Steaks, seafood, Cajun style dishes. Orleans chicken and the pork tenderloin are my favorites here. .

*****La Cocay – A true culinary delight in a warm elegant setting. Calle 8 between Av. 10 & Av. 15
Here is my official review  http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread...16#post1192416 Napa Salad, Pork Tenderloin, Pepper Crusted Sashimi Tuna, and Filet Mignon, Calamari rings sautéed in basil and garlic, Duck spring rolls with tropical corn, tomato, and mango salsa, Garlic Shrimp Tapas, Tequila Sautéed Shrimp with Roasted Nopal and chile de arbol, Plantain Crusted Fish with Honey Glaze and Cilantro Rice and lightly steamed veggies. Hungry yet???

***Especias – Calle 3 between Av. 5 & Av. 10 upstairs. Open Monday through Saturday for dinner only. Adrian is one of the best hosts on the island. This is a fusion of Mexican/Argentenian and exotic flavors. My favorites are the cilantro fish or chicken, or Shrimp Zambal.

**Casa Denis – in the main square. Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of the oldest restaurants in Cozumel. Shrimp fajitas or Enchiladas suizas.

**Rock-n-Java – Located on the waterfront just south of Punta Langosta mall (Carlos & Charlies). Open Monday through Sunday 7:00am until 10:00pm, close at 2:00 on Saturdays. GREAT spot for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everything from eggs and bacon to gourmet pastas and vegetarian specialties. In my opinion, Lisa makes the very best Veggie burgers on the planet, even for the non-vegetarian!! Try the homemade breads and deserts too!

**La Mission ON 30th!! – NOT to be mistaken with La Mission downtown or Casa Mission – located on Av. 30 between Calle 2 and Calle 4, just north of the Super San Francisco grocery store. Open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. True local and traditional Mexican food at a budget everyone can afford! My favorite is the Mexican combo plate!

Note this was the July 2010 update. There are new restaurants and updates I am sure, but this should get you started. If you fail to eat well, it won't be for lack of chances!! I notice that Kinta is missing info. Just GO there, it is wonderful. Little more expensive than some, but well worth it. And now that you have spoken of food, this thread will, in fact, explode with suggestions. I swear some people just use diving for a cover to come to Coz and EAT.....

Thanks alot, we were staying at an all inclusive and the food isnt good there. Its good if you dont feel like leaving but we really want some good food this time. We did find one place last time that had some awesome scrimp but that was it. Thanks alot. I am going to print this up and take it with us and do some research on these also!!

We'll be at the Wyndham 3/31-4/8 in the members section. If you use Sand Dollar (onsite dive shop) maybe we'll see you on the boat! We should be pretty obvious, I use a plate and my son dives a Transpac along with my daughter who is 14.

Last edited:
But I understand you wanting to try out other operators. Keep in mind if they pick you up at the pier you will be charged a 3 dollar usage fee. Yeah, it is quite controversial but it is still there.
We have dove With Alison (Dive with Alison), she is very good especially with newbies. As long as you don't sign up for a cut rate dive with Pedro and his brother (Ok, I made up the name but you get the idea) selling anything you want out in front of the Mega mart you should be fine. There are no bad dives on Cozumel.

We are looking at either March 17-22 or maybe the 31-5. Not sure yet. I am still waiting on my taxes to be deposited :) Which should be next Thursday. We dove with the Wyndham before. It was fine. They did a great job. We just didnt know if there was someone else that we should try. We might see you there if we go that same weekend.

Sounds good! We generally have a corner Jr. Suite right at the bottom of the stairs of the members pool on the beach. Have to be in close proximity to the beach bar :) My wife is a short red head and unfortunately can't dive anymore. We've thought about using Blue XT for some dives but Sand Dollar always treats us right and it's close/easy. Still want to try Aldora for some wild side diving also.

We are going back to Cozumel in either March or April ( I should know next week) and we are staying at the Sabor (used to be a Wyndham). They have an onsite dive shop that we used last time. Is there any other place anyone would recommend? Also we had a hard time finding a place that had good food last time. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Question ?? If you are interested in going off-site, and dining elsewhere because you feel the AI food is not that good, my question is, do you have to stay at Sabor ? If your not restricted to Sabor/Wyndham, perhaps another (non-AI) hotel would actually be less cost and in doing so would open up many new options for you. Also, if your considering another dive op then staying elsewhere would not be a problem either. Just a thought... Regardless, I wish you and yours a most wonderful trip !! Have a Great time !! Sue

Thanks

hotel cozumel is a great choice. close walk to town, full dive shop, dive lockers dip tank, nice dock all inclusive great pool.
jw photo

Sounds good! We generally have a corner Jr. Suite right at the bottom of the stairs of the members pool on the beach. Have to be in close proximity to the beach bar :) My wife is a short red head and unfortunately can't dive anymore. We've thought about using Blue XT for some dives but Sand Dollar always treats us right and it's close/easy. Still want to try Aldora for some wild side diving also.
spyder,

I am also heading down to coz im March. (Mar 16-23) and am debating whether to dive with Sand Dollar or someone else. (Scubamau or DWM). Just wondering your experiance with Sandollar. I have heard they sort of cater to the cruise ship crowds.

I notice you are a pretty experianced diver. I hold my own pretty well (most of my experiance is on Liveaboards) and am worried about getting stuck with 1020 inexperianced divers and just playing follow the leader.

I'm all for diveing with my budy and diving my own profile. I am fairly good on air and love to be last out of the water. (I have seen more stuff on a saftey stop sometimes than on the dive).

Just wondering if Sand Dollar is good about putting divers in smaller groups and with like minds and skill levels.

Back
Top Bottom