Cozumel Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JeffG:
Which one is right? (Assuming that both computers are on, but one is giving out incorrect info)

Let's say you set the bezel on your watch at the start of the dive, which I sometimes do, and you have been down 30 minutes- confirmed by your watch and one dive puter. The other puter says you have been down 22 minutes. I think it's simple which puter you would follow.

Here's aother way. One puter says you are at 87 ft and one says 96 ft. You swim over to your dive buddy and she what their puter says is the depth. When one of your puters matches them it's kind of simple to figure out which puter is correct.

We're just not gonna take this to a new thread out of respect for the dead horse, are we...?

My first PDC failed on a week long trip to Roatan. They are electronic gizmos made under the public demand for "more for less." I have long carried 2 of the same brand expecting them read about the same, but there will be minor differences depending on which one spends more time a few inches lower than the other. Activated at altitude, they are often 1,000 ft apart, sometimes 2,000 ft. They always read about the same, but I respect the limits of the one with the higher N2 load, staying at Safety Stops until both are out of Yellow and into Green, etc.

I failed to set one for Air or Nitrox on one dive last December - don't remember which it was, realized my mistake when they didn't load the same during the dive, and just ignored that comp until the next day. The cumulative loading on that one was off for the rest of the week, but again - went back to respecting the one with the highest load.

Anytime they differ significantly, it's time to learn why. This is a learning opportunity - not a failure.

pilot fish:
...and one dive puter. The other puter .....which puter.... One puter.....their puter..... one of your puters.... which puter

Would you please quit calling them "puters"?!!! It's driving me crazy:D How much more effort does it take to type "com"?

There, I think I've taken thread so far off topic we'd need a wormhole to get back.

pilot fish:
Why do you think tech divers carry two puters?
You sure about that?

mattboy:
Would you please quit calling them "puters"?!!! It's driving me crazy:D How much more effort does it take to type "com"?
LOL

mattboy:

There, I think I've taken thread so far off topic we'd need a wormhole to get back.
Yeah, please call them "comps." :D

I try to call them PDCs for personal dive computers, as compared to PCs. :wink:

I agree. Puter sounds too much like pooter, which is another word for butt. Very disturbing.

pilot fish:
Let's say you set the bezel on your watch at the start of the dive, which I sometimes do, and you have been down 30 minutes- confirmed by your watch and one dive puter. The other puter says you have been down 22 minutes. I think it's simple which puter you would follow.
So you now have 3 things for time. Why not 4 or 5? LOL

2 or 3 pony bottles would be good too.

mattboy:

Thank you.

JeffG:
So you now have 3 things for time. Why not 4 or 5? LOL

I ignore my backup computer. It just rides in my pocket unless I have a failure. I don't see any point in comparing them with each other. The comparison to make is the one with the plan you made before the dive. I had planned for an hour of BT and my stoopid computer gave me 20 minutes. I knew the FO2 was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom