Cozumel in September 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great! I added you to the list. Would you able to join us at Casa Denis on the 9th?

Bill

Oh, how I wish you could add me! :banghead:
:grinbandit: Who's gonna call out to you everywhere you go?
Have fun, say hello to the fish, and :cheers: for me!
Sallye

Oh, how I wish you could add me! :banghead:
:grinbandit: Who's gonna call out to you everywhere you go?
Have fun, say hello to the fish, and :cheers: for me!
Sallye

Maybe we could leave an empty chair at the table in your honor! I'm not sure what I'm going to do in Cozumel without you trailing me :wink:.

Had a good time in July and hopefully, this trip will be fun too.

Bill

I'd be honored to have an empty chair at the table - or just a moment of silence - jijiji!

Maybe you will find an empty hammock without me around. :cool2:

My pesos are firmly betting you'll have a BLAST!
Except for missing out on a coupla Wet Wendy's 'ritas...

I'm below 80 days on my countdown...

My girlfriend and I just got our OW and will be staying at the Cozumel Palace 9/9-9/16

Diving was not part of our original plan but it was more of an impulse decision so we don't eve have any dives booked yet...gettin to work on that now =)

For those of you who are going in Sept, here's info on the festivals that are taking place:
(Reprinted from Cozumel4You newsletter)

Welcome to September, or Septi-hambre (the combination of September and hungry) as some of the locals have dubbed it. For many this means a time of decreased spending, more free time, and time to slow down and focus on the family.

September is also a special time here in Cozumel, since it marks two very important holidays; Independence Day and Fiestas de San Miguel Arcangel.

Independence Day celebrations start on September 15th, as local residents and visitors gather around the Palacio Municipal (Town Hall) to participate in the traditional “grito”, or cry for independence. Lead by the Mayor of Cozumel from the balcony at 11:00 p.m., the cry “Viva Mexico” is made. Following the “grito” is fireworks display, and other festivities including music, folkloric dances as well as traditional foods.

On September 16, the actual Independence Day, the celebrations continue with a parade that goes through Cozumel's downtown waterfront. Throughout the week, the food stands, games of chance and souvenirs remains operating, so even if you’re not here on the actual day, you can still participate.

The religious celebration honoring San Miguel Arcangel, who is the parton saint of the island of Cozumel, begins on September 21st. Processions that start at the San Miguel church, located in the town square, weave their way throughout the entire downtown area.

During this time, local residents attend mass and take part in these daily processions. On the last day, a procession of fishermen carry an image of San Miguel Arcangel to the downtown pier and board a boat. This boat, accompanied by other boats create a procession by sea, throwing flowers and reciting prayers to the patron saint of Cozumel.

Laura Wilkinson sends out a great newsletter with lots of great information on what is going on in Cozumel each week. The home page for the newsletter is Cozumel 4 you - CZM source for helpful information, services, local businesses. She sends the weekly newsletter on Thursdays.
Thank you Deb for printing a part of Lauras newsetter with great information.

Hi:

Dinner sounds like it will be alot of fun, but it looks like we won't be able to make it.
We'll probably be on the ferry to PDC on the evening of the 9th.
If things change, I'll let you know.
Either way, I'm sure everyone will have a lot of fun!
Kujhawk91, thanks for organizing.

On another note, we were wondering if anyone was interested in either a single night dive or twilight dive combo on Monday, Sept. 7.
We already have 3 divers and looking for at least 1 more to fill the boat.
Right now, we're diving with DWM (which gives free rental gear, light and wetsuit excluded), but we're open to other dive op alternatives. Would prefer a different night reef than Paraiso. I think the cost is $85 for a combo and $50 for single tank.

PM, if your interested and we can discuss.

Back
Top Bottom