Cozumel in July 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sal...I'm game! I haven't been to Cozumel in a long time so I'd have to rely on y'alls recommendations. Personally, I prefer a casual, relaxed atmosphere with good margaritas and cold beers!

I read about Wet Wendy's (for best margarita on the island)...not necessarily suggesting that as a spot to meet but it's on my list to stop in for a margarita.

Thursday (July 2nd) or Friday (July 3rd). If y'all pick a place, I'll meet ya!

Jeff

If you have transportation and like a really great margarita in peace and quiet near the beach, I would highly recommend Mezcalito's on the east side of the island! Check out the view!

Attachments

• Mezcalitos.jpg
    Mezcalitos.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 57
If you have transportation and like a really great margarita in peace and quiet near the beach, I would highly recommend Mezcalito's on the east side of the island! Check out the view!

Kwik...do you have ESP? :D

I was going to make a post about a nice place for a great margarita while watching the sun set over the water.

Looks like my quest has ended before even asking!!! I wasn't plan on renting a vehicle (but may anyway) so can I get there via taxi?

Thank you!

I was going to make a post about a nice place for a great margarita while watching the sun set over the water.

Looks like my quest has ended before even asking!!! I wasn't plan on renting a vehicle (but may anyway) so can I get there via taxi?

Thank you!

Yes but I'm not sure how much the fare would be. Rent a car for a day and explore the Island! There are lots of really incredible places to visit. Mezcalito's is great, but so is Coconuts a few miles south of there. Punta Sur is a beutiful place to visit, and you can even see crocodiles up close while you're there. And there's always the Mayan ruins to visit. I always keep a day free to make a lap and just relax.

Yes but I'm not sure how much the fare would be. Rent a car for a day and explore the Island! There are lots of really incredible places to visit. Mezcalito's is great, but so is Coconuts a few miles south of there. Punta Sur is a beutiful place to visit, and you can even see crocodiles up close while you're there. And there's always the Mayan ruins to visit. I always keep a day free to make a lap and just relax.

That is a great idea. I have July 5th off and I was really thinking about an exploring day. I think I'll take your advice and rent a car for a day and head out on the island.

One thing that's been semi bothering me so I guess it's a good time to ask. Being here in Texas we hear alot about hte border drug wars, kidnappings, etc. Since I'm traveling solo I was a tad concerned about being out at night, going to remote places on the island by myself, etc. Is there history of any issues on the island or any safety type stuff to be aware of? Obviously one needs to be smart, not be walking all around super late at nite, etc. but I have no idea what the island is like in that regard. I'm not a huge party guy but will probably go out an evening or two for dinner and a margarita but won't stay out late partying. Are the cab drivers safe in the early evening? I'm figuring I'll be pretty tired from diving every day and wouldn't want to wear myself out or get all hungover for the next morning's dive anyway.

That is a great idea. I have July 5th off and I was really thinking about an exploring day. I think I'll take your advice and rent a car for a day and head out on the island.

One thing that's been semi bothering me so I guess it's a good time to ask. Being here in Texas we hear alot about hte border drug wars, kidnappings, etc. Since I'm traveling solo I was a tad concerned about being out at night, going to remote places on the island by myself, etc. Is there history of any issues on the island or any safety type stuff to be aware of? Obviously one needs to be smart, not be walking all around super late at nite, etc. but I have no idea what the island is like in that regard. I'm not a huge party guy but will probably go out an evening or two for dinner and a margarita but won't stay out late partying. Are the cab drivers safe in the early evening? I'm figuring I'll be pretty tired from diving every day and wouldn't want to wear myself out or get all hungover for the next morning's dive anyway.

Well the good news is you're going to Cozumel and not Jamaica! :D

I haven't found myself in any situations where I thought I was in any danger from the locals in Cozumel no matter where I've gone on the island or what time of day or night it was.

Well the good news is you're going to Cozumel and not Jamaica! :D

I haven't found myself in any situations where I thought I was in any danger from the locals in Cozumel no matter where I've gone on the island or what time of day or night it was.

That's awesome...I'm really excited!

Thank you!

Mescalito's is on the east coast of the island, so you won't be seeing the sunset over the water from there. They close well before sunset, anyway; there is no electricity over there.

The good news is that there are scads of great sunset watching places on the west side.

Mescalito's is on the east coast of the island, so you won't be seeing the sunset over the water from there. They close well before sunset, anyway; there is no electricity over there.

The good news is that there are scads of great sunset watching places on the west side.

But they make some really great fajita's and margaritas, they are really remote and uncrowded, and one thing you get on the east side that the west doesn't offer is the sound of the waves rolling in. I'm not knocking the west side view, and the sunsets are great, but I really like the serenety of the east side some times! :wink:

But they make some really great fajita's and margaritas, they are really remote and uncrowded, and one thing you get on the east side that the west doesn't offer is the sound of the waves rolling in. I'm not knocking the west side view, and the sunsets are great, but I really like the serenety of the east side some times! :wink:

I think I'll do both! Man, fajitas and margaritas....I'm hungry and drooling right now thinking of it and sitting under one of those palapa huts listening to the waves. whew...i just lost focus here at work! hehe

I can catch that earlier in the day/afternoon then head to the west side.

Since y'all brought it up..where on the west side is a great place to watch the sunset, have a cold one, get some grub and enjoy the water and views??

Oh, yes, absolutely! I love Mescalito's, Coconuts, Chen Rio, Playa Bonita, Paradise Cafe, and climbing over the rocks at El Mirador. I can usually ring the hook at Mescalito's in 6 or 8 tries.

For sunsets, though, he's going to have to go back over to the "tame" side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom