Cozumel Hotel Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kris Staz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
All -

I'm planning on heading down to Cozumel this June with my wife and niece (16 y/0) who are non-divers. I'm looking for any thoughts/recommendations for a good, all inclusive hotel, that might also include diving if possible (not required). I was hoping to head out and get a couple dives in and be back by noon or early afternoon to spend the rest of the day with the family. Also something that has a nice pool for them and access to activities to beyond diving for the family.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

Consider posting this in the Cozumel subforum, where I suspect you'll get more responses than you can handle.

I'm not going to give you any recommendations because I believe all-inclusive is a big mistake in Cozumel. I don't know of any where diving is actually included in the AI fee in any event, but that's also not a real problem since many Cozumel regulars don't recommend diving with a resort's on-site dive shop because there are many great private operators who will usually give you a much better experience.

Many places would meet your stated criteria, and many more would omitting the AI. However, you need to provide more in terms of your preferences when you go to the Cozumel subforum to ask: What's your budget? What do your non-divers like to do? Have you dived in Cozumel before?

Does the Intercontinental Presidente offer an all-inclusive option? It did not back when we stayed there several times a year. This is one of those places where budget matters. Their prices rose so high that we bought a house with a pool in a nice neighborhood to get away from their rates.

Based on a recent posting in the Cozumel subforum, it appears the Intercontinental Presidente is closed from April 21 - July 7 of this year, so wouldn't be an option for a trip this June.

Thanks guys. I'm brand new to this site. Newer to diving as well. Where is the Cozumel sub-forum.

I appreciate the insights and the direction!!

Best,

Kris

Last edited:
None of the hotels include diving with your all inclusive.You will have shorter boat rides if you stay at a resort to the south. I suggest looking at the following resorts.
1. Iberostar Cozumel, furthest south and there is an on site dive op
2. Fiesta Americana, just renovated a couple years ago
3. Secrets Aura, higher end resort and there is an on site dive op.
4. Allegro Cozumel 5. Sunscape Sabor 6. Occidental Grand

The small local dive op's will pick you up at your hotel and you will have a better experience with them.Here are a couple to look into. Home - Living Underwater
ScubaTony Scuba Diving Instruction, Cozumel Mexico
Scuba Diving Cozumel -Dive Packages-Top Rated Cozumel Dive Shop
Home Page

I am heading to Allegro Cozumel on April the 9th and I am back the 16th so I can give you a more in depth review then. Since I am going with my LDS we are partaking in the ultimate dive experience. That gives us 1 tank dive a day, a discount at the dive shop and superior rooms, plus a divers lounge to access with a small bar. We tacked on 5 more dives for $250 so we have a total of 11 dives during the week. The time my group wanted to dive is around 8 or 9, and 10. We will be doing two dives back to back a day basically. Since we will be back late morning we can drink in the early afternoon and stop drinking at a reasonable time to be fit for diving the next day.

The resort seems to be decent and I plan on making a trip to the island ruins. Tripadvisor has mixed reviews about it but most are good. People complaining are being mostly unrealistic. The most lijit thing to complain about is the hot water issue that I see comes up, I can't confirm as I have not been there. I hear there is an omelette lady though and she has great reviews!!!

To give you a ballpark of what a deal (or no deal is) my trip is costing about $1800 CAD. That includes the flight, accommodation (AI so food included), normal dives, and extra dives; taxes included. I will be bringing equipment with me. The only thing that isn't included in that price for me is tips and a $2 marine conservation fee per day for the dive sites.

When I come back I'll let you know my thoughts on the resort!

When are you thinking of going?

Cozumel Palace is really nice. We've stayed there many times. If you book a fast boat with Dive Paradise you can typically get back around noon. Plus, the Palace is within walking distance of town.

If you do not really need the all-inclusive. Check out El Cantil condos. Right next door to the Palace. We just stayed there last week and it was amazing.

We stayed at Sunscape Sabor last December. The rooms are showing their age and we had problems with hot water in ours. The food ranged from alright to not so good. Staff at the hotel and dive shop were pretty good. Not bad for the money, but we would not stay there again. Just too far away from downtown for my taste.

We hired a private DM for the two of us. Money well spent. Told Giovani I wanted to see some Splendid Toadfish and saw 10+ on the first dive. Now that I know where they like to hang out, no problem finding one in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom