Cozumel experts---Information about Cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sundays are our day free of cruise ships, with a very rare exceptions...and then it ould be ONE.

The heaviest days are Wednesday and Friday with 5+ ships usually.

Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday a re moderate days with an average of 4 ships in.

Saturdays are light days with 2 to 3 ships in.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for the ignornace but where do they all go?? I assume some dive and snorkel, but what do the others do?? Do they hang around San Miguel or go the beaches? Do they tour the island?
I can't get over how many crusie ships arrive in one week.
Thanks for your help with this

I'm no expert but it looks like a large portion of them wander up and down Melgar all day long, back and forth, with a sort of glazed look in their eyes. A bunch makeit as far as Carlos n Charlies, or Senor Frog and kill the day off there until the ship blows it's horn, summoning them back. I've done several cruises with clients, and we did the very same thing on almost every island as our time there was limited and we couldn't always get an excursion in.
Seriously though, I assume the poster on this board dives, and again, I'm no expert but our experience is that we're out diving for the majority of time the masses are out in numbers. In the afternoon we shower, chill out, and by the time we're ready to head out for a late lunch we go a block or even two off Melgar we're out of the crossfire. You'll do better hanging out off Melgar anyway, with or without the cruise ships since it seems a lot of what's there is "propped up" specifically for that crowd. The few places we like on Melgar like Rock 'n Java, don't seem to attract the "cruisers" as much as the more familiar "chains". Go figure, you travel all the way to Cozumel and then eat at Subway.
A lot depends on your perspective, the cruisers do fill the streets, but it also makes for a festive atmosphere and it's always fairly serene by sundown.
Have fun and know you're gonna love it there!

Richard,

Here is a quote from a recent article on this subject.

"In 2006, the island had 1,058 cruise ship dockings, which brought approximately 2.6 million cruise ship visitors to Cozumel. On peak days, the island receives up to nine cruise ships, which can bring more than 10,000 visitors to the island in one day."

The entire article can be found at:

UnderwaterTimes | Groundbreaking Environmental Agreement Reached To Protect The No. 1 Cruise Destination In The World

Christi or one of the other Scubaboard members that live down there can probably give you a "first hand" update on this.

Rickg

Pod People. The mother ships usually let out the ants in the morning when we're out on the dive boats. The ants travel back and forth in a steady stream from the mother ship to the city all day...eating at the places that will get them drunk, buying anything and everything, complaining about the heat, wandering in front of traffic.. Then the mother ship sounds it's recall horn and the pod people scramble to get back on and away they go to infest another destination. In the meantime, we have arrived back from our dives, grabbed a lunch, napped and set out for an afternoon adventure of some form or another. By dinner time...most have gone and its pleasant again in the city.

As for Sunday... it is wonderful! Many smiling faces and a more relaxed atmosphere.

just my opinions. My feelings are that most cruisers are just fine and cause no ill effects while in any port. But there are always a few in every crowd!

I was hoping someone could update this thread re crusie ships. My wife (non diver) is sceptical about the number of crusie ships that arrive and the ability to avoid the masses of people coming off them. I would like to try and plan our time so we can steer clear of some of the cruse ship traffic. How realistic is this?

It is going to be hard to avoid them all,but like most dumb aniamls,We just try not to run over them. It is also fun to drive Melgar and laugh at them while the go to the 'ship approved stores ' That was not nice. Is fun to get is a hurd of them and look at your watch and say I heard the ships is leaving at (pick a time) and then say the ship time is like 30mins form time you picked. But I have a lot of time on my hands.Don't let you wife miss the island because of the ships It is still nice here.Try the local places off the water front.you will save load of cash. Ask for food of the day.

I was hoping someone could update this thread re crusie ships. My wife (non diver) is sceptical about the number of crusie ships that arrive and the ability to avoid the masses of people coming off them. I would like to try and plan our time so we can steer clear of some of the cruse ship traffic. How realistic is this?

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for the ignornace but where do they all go?? I assume some dive and snorkel, but what do the others do?? Do they hang around San Miguel or go the beaches? Do they tour the island?
I can't get over how many crusie ships arrive in one week.
Thanks for your help with this
I agree with the other post. From my safe vantage point behind my plam tree in my sunglass I think they are mostly pack or hurd animals rarely if ever do they turn on the rest of us here. I am sure as we continue to interact with them some will have to be put down. They do at times show up in Jeeps and scooters at local dive and snorkle spots but most of the time keep there heads above the water. They seem to be easy to out smart. If they happen to have a local leader it is harder to evade them. Some times if we are over run by a pack or hurd we stop drink another beer and they run away because they are worried about missing the next bar with the same beer or they may fear miss the next all you can eat on the ship,or talking to a local. Hope this helps. PS do not feed them they are all on special diets

No problemo. Just avoid the first couple of blocks in town during the hours of roughly 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. It's all good outside of that.

What do they do? Well, I've seen them on sequeys (sp?) riding the sidewalk in front of the caleta. They ride around the island in jeep or VW convoys. Periodically they discharge at drinking holes. Occasionally you'll see them snorkelling but generally at sites you are unlikely to be diving at. By the time they make it to various beaches that cater to cruise ships, you'll have finished your SI (if your dive op takes you ashore). No worries whatsoever.

I fear they my eat there young. If not returned to the mother ship in a timely manner. Please be kind to the boat people. They also seem to have a thing for T shirts and sliver I think it recharges the ship.
In case you have figured it out it is raining and a little chilly here and I am bored sorry for taking up your time I am gone.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
I think I've convinced my non diving wife that we should go there. Maybe see some of you there!

Back
Top Bottom