Question Diving in Cozumel NOT through the cruise line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercracing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, wife and I are doing a cruise in Febuary and the first stop is Cozumel. We are looking to do a dive there that fits the time the ship is there. Nothing is available through the cruise line for this location(there is a dive in Roatan that we’re doing). Any suggestions who could accommodate this?

Thanks in advance.

Sand Dollar Sports is a known operator that accommodates cruise ship passengers. Also check Dive With Martin. It depends on which pier you're ship is coming in order to find a close enough shop.

The challenge is that most dive ops in Cozumel leave for morning dives before most cruise ship passengers can disembark (I believe Dive with Martin may leave too early also). Here are a few more options that leave later:

Cozumel Diving with Jungle Divers - Best Diving in the Caribbean ! (this is a longer trip with lunch included, so check your return time schedule)

(focuses on cruisers)

(has multiple time/tank options)

I have had much success with Dive Paradise. They run a 10:00 a.m. Express Boat, which usually gives cruise divers enough time to get to their shop. The shop is on the main road, just across the street from the Wyndham, and last time it was a short $8 cab ride.

Their state-side booking agent is Susan, and she will work with divers from other ships arriving that day to get a boat filled.

If your ship is departing port the same day that you are diving, please, please, please make 100% sure that you build in lots of time to get back in the case of delays. If you choose to do you own thing, the boat will not wait for you if you’re late. I learned this when a poor couple that we had dove with earlier in our trip did not make it back to the ship later when we were in Riviera Maya and they were left behind.

Hey guys, wife and I are doing a cruise in Febuary and the first stop is Cozumel. We are looking to do a dive there that fits the time the ship is there. Nothing is available through the cruise line for this location(there is a dive in Roatan that we’re doing). Any suggestions who could accommodate this?

Thanks in advance.
See if you can nail down where your ship is docking. If it's at the international pier -- where most of them dock, especially Carnival, Princess, and RC -- you'll be just over one mile north of the marina where most of the dive boats leave. It's literally a three minute taxi ride between the dive boats and the cruise ship pier.

If you dock further north (the Disney ships seem to do this), then the taxi ride is a bit further from the marina. But contact the dive shops, tell them what you need. They do this every day and are motivated to take care of you.

Dive Paradise, mentioned above, is a couple miles north of the Intl Pier... still a very quick and simple taxi ride back and forth.

It seems like most of the cruise lines have stopped booking diving in Cozumel. I was wondering why this is when I was looking at cruises the other day from New Orleans and Mobile.

It seems like most of the cruise lines have stopped booking diving in Cozumel. I was wondering why this is when I was looking at cruises the other day from New Orleans and Mobile.
Post-COVID, I've noticed the cruise lines do not offer diving anymore. Don't know why, but we live in an upside down world now, and nothing is as it was pre-COVID.

Post-COVID, I've noticed the cruise lines do not offer diving anymore. Don't know why, but we live in an upside down world now, and nothing is as it was pre-COVID.
You are absolutely correct there! I hope it starts shifting back towards the normal we had precovid

Some still are. I'm booked in Cozumel and Roatan in April 2024 on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

I was told once by Royal Caribbean that post-COVID, they've had a harder time finding dive operators that meet Royal Caribbean's insurance requirements. Not sure if that's actually true or just the excuse they were using after they cancelled a dive I had booked as a shore excursion 1 month before the cruise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom