Cozumel experts---Information about Cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azsilver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When are the Cruise ships in port in Cozumel?

I think I remember reading somewhere that they are not there on Sunday night and the locals come out with their families?

Is there a weekly schedule? What time in the morning do the ships come and when do they leave at night? I mean when do the cruise ship people return to their ships? Or are they in Cozumel all night?

Is there any place in Cozumel without the hoards of people off the cruise ships?.....I am trying to plan our time so we can steer clear of some of the cruse ship traffic.

Kind of like the Tour bus people when we vacationed in Europe. We try to stay away from the "ugly" Americans as some tour bus people and cruise ship people can be.

Like to enjoy the locals and fellow divers.

Thanks, An AZ Diver----waiting for the end of April in Cozumel!

I know I read some information about this somewhere? Did a search on SB and Could not find any information.

Thanks for your help!

AZ Diver

Anyone have any information on this topic?

Thanks, AZ diver

This website lists the current schedules: Cozumel Cruise Ship Schedules. Most cruise ships depart around 6PM, a few stay later than that. Individual cruise line websites may list the exact times they are in port. Hope this is helpful!

The cruisies are generally back on board for dinner. Remember the cruiise line wants you on board spending money in the evening. If you make later dinner reservations you can avoid them. You can also miss them by going to the other side of the island (Playa Bonita) or to one of the smaller beaches like San Francisco or Palancar. The cruise ships tend to dump there passengers at Playa de Sol or one of the larger beaches. The cruiseros also infest downtown during the daylight but are gone by dinner time. They are easy to avoid.

azsilver:
When are the Cruise ships in port in Cozumel?

I think I remember reading somewhere that they are not there on Sunday night and the locals come out with their families?

Is there a weekly schedule? What time in the morning do the ships come and when do they leave at night? I mean when do the cruise ship people return to their ships? Or are they in Cozumel all night?

Is there any place in Cozumel without the hoards of people off the cruise ships?.....I am trying to plan our time so we can steer clear of some of the cruse ship traffic.

Kind of like the Tour bus people when we vacationed in Europe. We try to stay away from the "ugly" Americans as some tour bus people and cruise ship people can be.

Like to enjoy the locals and fellow divers.

Thanks, An AZ Diver----waiting for the end of April in Cozumel!

The cruseros are not that tough to avoid. Their main feeding frenzy is in the middle of the day, along the main drag from about 6 blocks north of the square to about 10 blocks south of it, mostly during the week.

Most cruising is a weeklong endeavor, and the ships flush and replenish their staterooms on the weekends, hence the weekends, especially Sundays, on Cozumel are relatively shipless.

Yes, the locals have a fiesta in the square on Sunday nights, but it is not related to the cruise line schedules, since they have been doing it for as long as I have been going there (and probably far longer); I started in 1978, before Coz was a destination for cruseros.

Cruise ships are all inclusive deals, so their impact on restaurants in town is not that big a deal at night.

The Punta Langosta mall was designed to extract money from cruseros and connects directly to one of their piers, so avoid it. Carlos n' Charlie's, Senor Frog's (both in Puta Langosta), and Hard Rock Cafe all cater to them, so...

So, book a hotel out of the main part of town and hang out there during the heat of the day, rent a car and trek over to the "wild side" of the island, go to the smaller beach clubs, dive, do your in town shopping at night, and prowl the smaller shops a few blocks back from the main drag if you must shop during the day. The cruseros won't impact your stay on Cozumel much if at all.

During high season (Thanksgiving through April/May) we have ships just about every day, even on Sundays occasionally. The heaviest days are typically Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and Saturday and Sunday the lightest days. They start arriving anywhere from 7:00 am to 10:00 am and depart anywhere from 5:00 pm to 11:00pm.

Don't let the cruise ship passengers ruin your trip...just come on down and avoid the main drag, and you should be ok! Have fun!

azsilver:

While it's not an all encompassing I think Sunday night is pretty safe in a lot of Caribbean ports. Sunday is the turn around day for most seven cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and the majority of ships are in their home ports. There are some ten day cruises that operate out of here as well, and every other week they are out somewhere on a Sunday night.

Marc

I was hoping someone could update this thread re crusie ships. My wife (non diver) is sceptical about the number of crusie ships that arrive and the ability to avoid the masses of people coming off them. I would like to try and plan our time so we can steer clear of some of the cruse ship traffic. How realistic is this?

Well, a few days ago there were 11 ships here. In Cozumel odds are you will not have a day without cruise ships. The only thing you can do is go places where they don't go, that is, anywhere off Melgar and definitely away from either of the cruise ship piers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom