Cozumel diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is that reef??

Its a snorkeling site, dive boats use it for surface interval sometimes. It’s at the south West tip of the island - would be say north of punta Sur, sorta by Columbia deep area but of course on shore not the wall.

The punta Sur ecological park, the beach area that’s national park has a huge mangrove area pond lake whatever you want to call it - they have a boat ride you can go on and they talk about the mangrove and you can see bunches of crocodile - there’s an opening that goes from the lake to the ocean - not surprisingly that some venture out in the ocean

Where is that reef??
El Cielo Party area. No reef in that area (it's further out). Shallow sandy bottom used for SI's and party boats, just inland is the lagoon / swamp full of crocodiles. This guy is probably frustrated that all these creatures are blocking access to his home. Crocodiles are spotted occasionally close to shore as they migrate from one area to another. On You tube I have seen videos of them in the snorkel area of the Money bar and Palancar beach club beach. Then there is the one that migrated from the mangrove swamp next to Paradise beach club into the pool and subsequently mauled the worker who took an evening dip in the pool. They occationally are spotted in the new marina and have often frequented the old Caleta (probably the one that lives in the adjacent cenote)
Never heard of one making it out to the reefs.

Pay close attention when you’re here, the public beaches have life guards that wear red shorts and shirts - those folks are the ones that go in the water to catch these wayward crocodiles! It’s the lifeguards and fire department that catches them and relocates them, I assume they take them up to that lagoon. I seen one video of them catching one - those guys are nuts...

I liked the Money bar video. It was like a scene out of Jaws with everyone rushing out of the water. Then the wranglers on snorkel boat tried to rope the guy. He got loose and got on shore and was running towards Fiesta Americana chased by a hoard of previously freaked out tourists with their phones trying to get video.
Looked like the Rodney Dangerfield of the crocodile world
"I am a Cocodile and I get no respect"

No night dives by boat. You can shore dive at night and some ops are offering guided night shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom