Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has their own motivations. Some simply like to go places where few have ever gone before. Some like peace and serenity found in the deep water. Some like the technical challenges of pushing themselves.
I wrote an article on one reason technical divers are motivated like this five years ago.

A short summary is that for certain people, there is an inherent joy in performing a task well when you know only a tiny percentage of the population can do it at all. The ability to perform at that level is the result of many years of dedicated training, and for such people, that dedicated training itself can bring that joy.

I recently interviewed a diver who had risked his life in performing an unpaid service to others (I won't be more specific because I don't want to get into the specifics of individual, who is well known). I am quite sure that in providing that benefit for altruistic reasons, deep down inside he felt a joy in knowing he was doing something few people on Earth could do. Some people would think less of people for having such feelings, but it does not bother me a bit. If you read this more scientific article on it, you will see that it is a character trait of many of the most accomplished people in all fields of endeavor.

I saw the body on NYE. I am from Dallas. Was this Dr Charles Key son? If so, I am even more so saddened than when I saw body on Thursday.

Was the set of doubles on board, in the picture, that of the diver who was recovered alive?

That would mean that one diver was on oc and the other who did not make it was on a rebreather?

That would make it a mixed team dive.

or were there other oc technical divers on board that day?

It’s so dark down there, as soon as you turn on the light those fishes just disappeared into crevices as the groupers were hunting for them.
The amount of light at depth depends dramatically on where you are diving. Where I do most of my diving, you need a good light at 100 feet in the middle of the day. When I dived to about 320 feet in Cozumel, I could see just fine--no need for any light whatsoever. Everything had a kind of blue/gray tint to it, but other than that, no problem.

Was the set of doubles on board, in the picture, that of the diver who was recovered alive?

That would mean that one diver was on oc and the other who did not make it was on a rebreather?

That would make it a mixed team dive.

or were there other oc technical divers on board that day?

The picture I have was attached to an article about a deceased swimmer - from @Christi comments above, there were two event's, same day different days, not sure - so I don't think it's fair to say that was the tanks for a 450' dive and I think there's an area of the boat you can't see in the pic that could have other tanks...... I can't imagine 450' on OC here....

This is actually the photo I was referencing. It was from the inaccurate news article. When I did some deco dives with deep exposure, they had us set up near the transom as well. Some places use red for trimix travel gas tanks.

6E8BB5B6-A704-4AA3-B289-732F00C1D6A9.jpeg

I was there in Coz when this accident occurred. I was with a new friend who has direct connections to people involved. I was hearing the reports via him as the event was ongoing.

What I heard had led me to believe that it was a 500 foot dive on OC. That it was 2 brothers who were diving together and who were there with their wives. The guy who passed away ran out of gas before he could get up to meet his buddy (his brother?) at 350'. The one who lived got out with 1 hour of omitted deco and went for a Table 6 chamber ride, but never had any symptoms of DCS. I think there was a third diver somehow involved, but I don't know how. He could have just been on the boat, or he could have been in the water. I do not know. Or maybe not there at all and I misunderstood.

That is all just my understanding, having heard things thirdhand (but while there, in person). I think it's safe to assume that I was told some details that may turn out to be wrong and/or I misunderstood, so don't hold me to any of this.

Mostly, I think we should all keep in mind the families of the deceased may be reading this, as well as the divers, professionals, and business owners that were involved. So, best not to speculate too much at this point, or jump to any conclusions about any of it.

If your not going to penetrate, why would one dive so deep? Bragging rights?
Yeah it's actually the only reason I dive is to impress punters on scubaboard
:cheers:

I saw the body on NYE. I am from Dallas. Was this Dr Charles Key son? If so, even more so than when I saw body on Thursday.
I don't know anything about the family. The name posted for the deceased was David Key.

Right. 3 square miles of 100% coral cover sounds like it could be a LOT better than those...

“Sounds like” in deep cold water and being there seeing with your eyes in a shallow, sunny and warm water (80F-ish) are totally different experience. Have you been in Melissa’s Garden with hard coral so thick and wide as far as you eyes can see?

Here’s my poorly made video clip from my cheap GoPro that doesn’t do justice in comparison to the actual scenery:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom