Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Sounds like” in deep cold water and being there seeing with your eyes in a shallow, sunny and warm water (80F-ish) are totally different experience. Have you been in Melissa’s Garden with hard coral so thick and wide as far as you eyes can see?

Here’s my poorly made video clip from my cheap GoPro that doesn’t do justice in comparison to the actual scenery:

That's my kind of reef. Just knowing the complexity and how special conditions must be to support it attract me. And there's something majestic about harems of anthias and chromis darting in and out of the branches. Quite amazing a similar ecosystem is possible at 500 feet deep, don't you agree?

That's my kind of reef. Just knowing the complexity and how special conditions must be to support it attract me. And there's something majestic about harems of anthias and chromis darting in and out of the branches. Quite amazing a similar ecosystem is possible at 500 feet deep, don't you agree?

Yes. I agree.

We just need to weigh risks & rewards in everything we do. Seeing those beautiful corals at shallow is way more rewarding than at depth (cold, dark, limited bottom time / long deco time & many other risks of handling complexities of technical diving)

Yes. I agree.

We just need to weigh risks & rewards in everything we do. Seeing those beautiful corals at shallow is way more rewarding than at depth (cold, dark, limited bottom time / long deco time & many other risks of handling complexities of technical diving)
My deco diving experience in Cozumel, as suggested before was quite different from what you describe. There was plenty of light below 300 feet. I was comfortably warm in my 3mm suit. The long decompression ascent was quite beautiful--we ascended through Palancar Caves.

that is is exactly what I saw but I did not take pic. I am so sad. Charles Key's son is named David. :(

My deco diving experience in Cozumel, as suggested before was quite different from what you describe. There was plenty of light below 300 feet. I was comfortably warm in my 3mm suit. The long decompression ascent was quite beautiful--we ascended through Palancar Caves.

Good for you. I should go there and check it out one of these days.

This is actually the photo I was referencing. It was from the inaccurate news article. When I did some deco dives with deep exposure, they had us set up near the transom as well. Some places use red for trimix travel gas tanks.

View attachment 634252
Those red and white tanks are owned by a fill station I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom