Cozumel Diver Dies After 450 Foot Dive (confused initial reporting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been diving with the same DM in Coz a couple of years ago for a few days, and since the other two divers were much better on air than I, I told him that I'd handle my own ascent with my own DSMB. He agreed, but forgot to tell the captain, so I ended up alone for a few minutes looking around. A glass bottom came by, I asked them to radio my boat, but he picked me up. I cautioned the landlubber tourists to move away from the ladder area as I climbed just in case I fell or something. They seemed to have got a kick out of the encounter with a real frogman.

One of the divers in our group on a night dive in Cozumel vanished towards the end of a dive. We surfaced after a minute of looking. Nowhere to be found. We boarded our boat - nothing. Then our captain told us that he had boarded another boat.

He told us that he had surfaced and swum to the wrong boat. Apparently the “new” captain pointed and told him to swim over to our boat about 200 yds away. He said no effing way and climbed aboard. They brought him over once they had picked up all their divers. He had to buy a lot of drinks later.

An earlier post indicated that there were multiple DE boats on the water that day.

I cannot see any experienced tec diver doing a technical dive without using Deep Exposure. If I was involved in an incident, DE is who I would want to respond.

Deep Exposure is the only place we found on Cozumel that had AL40s and could blend for any mix. If you want to do a technical dive in Cozumel, they are clearly the place to go. We found their dive operation to be top level in every respect.

Deep technical dives have inherent risks and accidents happen regardless of who the victim was diving with.

Apparently the “new” captain pointed and told him to swim over to our boat about 200 yds away. He said no effing way and climbed aboard.
upload_2021-3-1_18-24-40.jpeg

An earlier post indicated that there were multiple DE boats on the water that day.

I cannot see any experienced tec diver doing a technical dive without using Deep Exposure. If I was involved in an incident, DE is who I would want to respond.

Deep Exposure is the only place we found on Cozumel that had AL40s and could blend for any mix. If you want to do a technical dive in Cozumel, they are clearly the place to go. We found their dive operation to be top level in every respect.

Deep technical dives have inherent risks and accidents happen regardless of who the victim was diving with.

Soon to be another.....

Soon to be another accident or soon to be another competent technical dive shop?

Competent - 200' or lesss. I think the 300'+ dives here are a little much with the difficulty of surface support and in water support. CCR also brings the challange of the boat being able to track you. We will see what life brings but crazyness is not in the plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom