Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most Americans probably know YYZ more as a Rush song than as an airport.

Also Neil Peart stands alone.
He rode BMWs as an avid rider between shows....larger than life itself...RIP...

I don't love the place but it's a huge upgrade from MIA
Agreed on don't love but better than MIA.

Also, the food is crap even by airport standards.
I've had some decent barbeque there, but I'm easy to please, especially with BBQ. This place is popular: Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - IAH Airport

The attached Marriott is accessed directly by an underground people mover from all terminals (or you can walk the path as well).
Don't they have a shuttle? I slept in an airport once decades ago and won't ever again, even for a short night. There are cheaper hotels nearby with shuttles, and a few hours of a bed with a shower are worth it.

YVR = Vancouver
YYZ = Toronto
YYC = Calgary
YLW = Kelowna

You see the pattern right? No we don't either...
Yeah, Canada was using two letter codes and just added Y in front. In a discussion, please use the names.

I've had some decent barbeque there, but I'm easy to please, especially with BBQ. This place is popular: Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - IAH Airport

Don't they have a shuttle? I slept in an airport once decades ago and won't ever again, even for a short night. There are cheaper hotels nearby with shuttles, and a few hours of a bed with a shower are worth it.

Yeah, Canada was using two letter codes and just added Y in front. In a discussion, please use the names.
Come on Don. Is it too much to ask you to learn all 3 of our important airport codes? I tossed in Kelowna just to cause confusion. And no, the rest of Canada does not know Montreal's code...I think it starts with Y...

Spent about 4 hours there a week ago, when I did a connection that was under an hour it was great, I think it took me a total of 6 hours to get to my rental car in CUN from my home. But clearing customs at MIA sucked, it was the only time I've been international where they didn't have free baggage carts. Some old dude snapped at me because I was like a foot over the line, as he was clearing security to go into a metal tube with people no more than two feet away. And then the food options sucked once I got back in the terminal.

Maybe it is just me but I find all the Pappa's brands to be underwhelming. Except the breakfast tacos at their BBQ joint. If given the chance I would demolish 2-3 of their egg and potato tacos.

Looks like 11 cases today, 41 for the week (from 158 to 199). No deaths today, but 9 for the week (25 to 34). Cozumel hospital occupancy ticked down slightly week over week from 57 percent to 55 percent.

I saw some sort of agreement between city and International Hospital posted this week on mayors twitter , not certain what that was about. I am always concerned about potential of shifting the denominator in hospital occupancy to keep that number low. They added beds in Cancun and Playa in May, don’t think they did that in Cozumel.

In a sign that politics is a global issue in pandemic management, it looks like their may be a division between states cities and the federal government in Mexico similar to its larger neighbor to the north. Not fluent in Spanish but looked like mayor not exactly thrilled AMLO was doubting the scientific value of masks in the press. (Please let’s not open up a debate again on the board , just kind of thought it was funny you could probably go to many a US mayors page and see the same type of posts in English about Trump as you see in Mexico in Spanish about AMLO )

links (both originally provided by WetinPortland and ChuckP months ago in this thread )

Mayors twitter
[Pedro Joaquin D. (@PedroJoaquinD) on Twitter]

Sesa (q Roo health ministry).

[Twitter]

Maybe it is just me but I find all the Pappa's brands to be underwhelming. Except the breakfast tacos at their BBQ joint. If given the chance I would demolish 2-3 of their egg and potato tacos.
Outside the airport in competition with other restaurants I somewhat agree with you, but inside the Houston airport (IAH) it is way better than anything else I have found. The food is decent, they use real plates, glasses and flatware, their wine list is pretty good, and they don't give you the bum's rush if you want to linger over a glass of wine or two while you are on a layover.

Outside the airport in competition with other restaurants I somewhat agree with you, but inside the Houston airport (IAH) it is way better than anything else I have found. The food is decent, they use real plates, glasses and flatware, their wine list is pretty good, and they don't give you the bum's rush if you want to linger over a glass of wine or two while you are on a layover.

I actually think Pappas BBQ is their weakest brand, though their breakfast tacos are probably fine. I love the fried shrimp at Pappadeaux (been eating at that chain for 30 years now).

I would also highlight that Bush airports restaurants went through a major upgrade about 2 years ago. Several good restaurants now if you have the time. Ember is essentially a high end steakhouse from a world class chef. Definitely expensive , but good. Lousy reviews because people want cheap and fast —that is not what they are.

Also a few other restaurants in the terminal that are much higher caliber than you used to be able to find—generally overpriced, but good

I actually think Pappas BBQ is their weakest brand, though their breakfast tacos are probably fine. I love the fried shrimp at Pappadeaux (been eating at that chain for 30 years now).

Kind of hard to screw up Louisiana style fried seafood, just need a decent batter. But I agree I wouldn't go to Pappas BBQ for anything but their egg and potato breakfast tacos, kind of hard to screw that up too as long as you have good salsa. But I wouldn't get any of their meats breakfast or otherwise.

Alright - I'll have to give one of the actual restaurants a try at IAH. Time permitting. Thanks all for the hints.

My experience was with one of their 'quick serve' places (tablet orders with decentralized 'kitchens' everywhere).
It took the better part of 10 minutes just to figure out how *to* order from the till area (and it wasn't just me - I watched several others fight with it).
Then, the 'quick serve' took more than 25 minutes to prep the food (the lady who ordered after me had to just walk away to get to her plane).
After 35 minutes of ever increasing hangry-ness I was treated to one of the worst meals of my life.
I made it about 4 fork-fulls in and walked away. I never walk away from food.
I've never felt that bad after eating something that wasn't outright food poisoning. I think it was made of 30% wood filler.
One of my most memorable meals. For all the wrong reasons.
(Watching the staff - they were genuinely trying. There was no way for them to win. The system, as a whole, did not work and just reeked of incompetent management.)

Looping back to diving... sort of... what is everyone seeing with respect to all the places that relied on buffet service meals. While I enjoyed that Casa Mexicana breakfast... it already made me nervous on the cleanliness side of things (really... any buffet makes me nervous...). That was a key selling point in Coz and fairly universally they seem to be important to making the numbers work in many dive focused all-inclusives (as well as livaboards). What have people seen thus far?

(Watching the staff - they were genuinely trying. There was no way for them to win. The system, as a whole, did not work and just reeked of incompetent management.)

At my local airport all the shops are run by the same company, HMS Host, so they have no real reason to actually compete for service. So I have to be pretty desperate to get anything more than a bottle of water at my local airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom