Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only speak to the aircraft I'm familiar with...Boeing 787

https://www.donaldsonaerospace-defense.com/library/files/documents/pdfs/071727.pdf

With the introduction of recirculated air ventilation systems in commercial jetliners, more advanced filtration solutions were developed. These included High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters that remove more than 99.97 percent of airborne particles both larger and smaller than 0.3 micron, about 1/300 the width of a single human hair! HEPA filters are widely used and capture particulate, bacteria and viruses, but they do not filter gaseous chemical compounds. Other chemical filtration options include Ultra Violet Photocatalytic Oxidation (UVPCO) and Cold Plasma, otherwise known as Close Coupled Field (CCFT). These systems simply cannot match Donaldson APS advantages. Common drawbacks include heavy weight, limited useful life, power requirements, complicated installation, difficult maintenance, inability to fit in all structures, low efficiency, inability to handle highly concentrated or upset atmospheres and production of potentially hazardous byproducts.

I forget. During SARs where the planes sanitized before every flight and did everyone wear a mask?

I wonder if we have information that can be used to do a SARs to COVID comparison?

Sanitation is largely irrelevant because at the time SARS was very rare and it is unlikely the plane was contaminated prior to that flight. Masks are not currently required on planes.

The above report is the result of contract tracing which is only really effective when there are limited number of cases. The virus is in community spread stage so it is very challenging to know who is getting infected where. I would not view a lack of reports on current transmission on planes as an endorsement that planes are safe to fly on. I would however look to all the cases of infection going on at bars and restaurants as an indicator of what you can expect from an airport and plane.

Sanitation is largely irrelevant because at the time SARS was very rare and it is unlikely the plane was contaminated prior to that flight. Masks are not currently required on planes.

The above report is the result of contract tracing which is only really effective when there are limited number of cases. The virus is in community spread stage so it is very challenging to know who is getting infected where. I would not view a lack of reports on current transmission on planes as an endorsement that planes are safe to fly on. I would however look to all the cases of infection going on at bars and restaurants as an indicator of what you can expect from an airport and plane.
Agreed. Maybe I should clarify. I would not hesitate to fly in Canada. There is no way I would fly to the United States.

The filtration system in planes may be very good but passengers are not exhaling directly into the filter. Their exhalations will mingle in the cabin air and you could breathe them before they get to the filter.

Flying is scary, planes crash...I advise all to stay home and live vicariously through the eyes of those that take life by the throat :)

Flying is scary, planes crash...I advise all to stay home and live vicariously through the eyes of those that take life by the throat :)
Flying was safer than driving to the airport until this year. This virus changed that, the airlines begged for bailout funds, and now we need the airlines to return the favor.

Flying was safer than driving to the airport until this year. This virus changed that, the airlines begged for bailout funds, and now we need the airlines to return the favor.

Seriously as a business, what should they do? I’m sure their business model isn’t substainable at 60 or 70% occupancy, I’m sure the market wouldn’t bear a 30-40% increase in fares.....

This is here and going to be here for what six months? It’s not going away and some folks have shown that they won’t make an effort for it to be slowed down. Decide how to live with it is the very unfortunate reality

Seriously as a business, what should they do? I’m sure their business model isn’t substainable at 60 or 70% occupancy, I’m sure the market wouldn’t bear a 30-40% increase in fares.....

This is here and going to be here for what six months? It’s not going away and some folks have shown that they won’t make an effort for it to be slowed down. Decide how to live with it is the very unfortunate reality

Lots of businesses are adapting to this major disruption. This is just another business cycle that will drive winners and losers. Adapt or die. The companies, and likely others, who pretend this is not happening will not survive. Literally...

Back on topic

Will Cozumel go back to RED?

Back
Top Bottom