Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, Cozumel is holding it down, or are they not testing and reporting?
Testing and reporting is a can of worms; see post 147 in this thread (link in the daily updates) for more information.

The Municipal President sends out encouragement on his daily Facebook updates, and yesterday he specifically said that we've gone nine days without a new reported case. So I think that Cozumel is, "holding it down".

There are only two ferry trips each way per day, and If I recall correctly, less than 100 people average on each trip. They temperature check every ferry passenger, and have now installed a, "sanitizing corridor" that mists everyone before they board the ferry. American is the only International airline arrival, and I doubt there are many passengers. I don't believe there are any domestic flights operating. Mega and Chedraui (downtown) check everyone's temperature at the door. Mega wipes down every cart, and both provide people with hand sanitizer before entering. Mega has put one-way arrows on the floor indicating direction of travel for each aisle (that's taking everyone some getting used to) to improve social distancing.

But yes, as @BRT noted, Cozumel is an island. Between that and the strong stay-at-home measures, it seems to be keeping the virus in check. I am hopeful there will be some relaxation of stay-at-home measures sometime next week; I suspect they are keeping things tight for Mothers' Day, which would ordinarily be a day for large family gatherings. Just relaxing the curfew to start at 8pm would be a big help for us; it's hard to remember to order dinner by 3pm, and I get tired of my own cooking.

Look at the size of that town compared to San Miguel. I wonder what that area is off to the left, across from Xcaret?

View attachment 585284

Google maps labels it as a mining and quarry company. Probably sand and gravel for all the construction.

Mega has put one-way arrows on the floor indicating direction of travel for each aisle (that's taking everyone some getting used to) to improve social distancing.
Yeah, we have those in my preferred grocery, but they get ignored a lot - by shoppers and employees. I asked a couple if I was going the wrong way? They just sneered. They have greeters who explained the new rules the first week, but now just stand there supposedly to keep the occupancy down, and exits are the other way. There is a bored employee at the exit door.

Google maps labels it as a mining and quarry company. Probably sand and gravel for all the construction.
I couldn't get google maps to tell me, thanks. I see the port across the road next to Xcaret.

That is Calica, the port where the car ferry lands. It is primarily a sand mining operation.

Dave Dillehay

Yeah, a 45 minute ferry ride from Playa del Carmen 170. I hear that PDC was a charming little fishing town 30 years ago, but the developers have had their way with it. Population in 1995 17K, today 252K.
Populations are hard to know in Mexico. I know that in 1996 you could drive right in by the ferry dock and could park a short distance away. They told us 7500 then. You had to drive through undeveloped jungle to get from the highway into Playa and the highway crossing was 2 lane with big ropes on the road to slow people down for the intersection.

...big ropes on the road to slow people down for the intersection.
Topes. I have no idea what it means, but that's what the signs at those ropes always said.

Topes. I have no idea what it means, but that's what the signs at those ropes always said.
A topo is a mole.

Topes are Mexican speed bumps that are 2-3 times larger than the usual speed bumps most folks are used to gliding over in the US or Canada. Literal translations include...
  • peak
  • tip
  • vertex
  • apex
  • summit
  • crest
  • pinnacle
  • mountain top

Topes are Mexican speed bumps that are 2-3 times larger than the usual speed bumps most folks are used to gliding over in the US or Canada. Literal translations include...
  • peak
  • tip
  • vertex
  • apex
  • summit
  • crest
  • pinnacle
  • mountain top
You forgot, "Sleeping policeman".

I don't know that they are necessarily larger, but they are designed so that you *DEFINITELY* do not want to take them at more than about 5MPH. Ask me how I know ... on second thought, don't ask (wife was on the back of the scooter <shudder>).

Yeah, we have those in my preferred grocery, but they get ignored a lot - by shoppers and employees. I asked a couple if I was going the wrong way? They just sneered. They have greeters who explained the new rules the first week, but now just stand there.....

I remember, years ago, when they installed some red lights at a couple major intersections, particularly on 30th in front of the Super San Francisco. They had to post a policeman at these red lights, to walk out and stop traffic everytime the light turned red....for about a YEAR !!!!
They had to condition the populace to stop at the red lights, or many would drive right through (much like they already did at stop signs). Everyone thought that was high comedy !
As for those rope topes, those bastages are the worst kinda speed bumps !!! You couldn't drive (or bike) slow enough to eliminate how jarring they are. I had a friend slowly go over one on his new $2500 road bike, and his carbon handlebar snapped in half !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom