Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flights.google.com shows the same pricing and will link to the booking page.
Funny how that link fails, sends me to an odd page about lights.

I just don't like Google Flights. I just tried it for my July trip to DCA as I was wanting to change from 10 am departure to 6 am, but it doesn't show it. Matrix and AA.com both do.

I wouldn't take that date very seriously. Remember, MLB originally said that the baseball season would be delayed by two weeks, but as the revised opening date approached and the pandemic continued to develop they revised their position accordingly. I'm betting that as June 1 draws near the anticipated startup date for Cozumel and Yucatan diving will get pushed out. Lather, rinse, and repeat.
The people of QRoo are taking it seriously, if the dozen I've talked to are any indication. I think if we get to May 30th and they announce another 30 day extension, you're gonna see a lot of "civil disobedience", i.e., riots.

The people of QRoo are taking it seriously, if the dozen I've talked to are any indication. I think if we get to May 30th and they announce another 30 day extension, you're gonna see a lot of "civil disobedience", i.e., riots.
I don't think that there is any chance that it will be safe to resume recreational activities by June 1. I think that the extension will happen, but I don't think they will wait until the last minute to announce it. Time will tell.

From the 23-April, noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 426  ->  461
     Social Isolation                 147  ->  164
     Hospitalized                     105  ->   89
     Recovered                        119  ->  148
     Deaths                            55  ->   60
Q Roo Tests pending                    63  ->   55

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                   15  ->   15
     Recovered                          6  ->    6
     Deaths                             2  ->    2

Original data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter

Count me as one with a dissenting opinion about taking it serious - family gatherings, street parties, 10-20 per night locked up for curfew violations.......... A lot are trying but there's a lot of daily casual travel. LOL.

I seen a post last night that Cancun has run out of beer - if that's even slightly true, that will get interesting. Plenty of beer here and Sam's club looked like they unloaded an entire semi full of toilet paper.

Count me as one with a dissenting opinion about taking it serious - family gatherings, street parties, 10-20 per night locked up for curfew violations.......... A lot are trying but there's a lot of daily casual travel. LOL.

I seen a post last night that Cancun has run out of beer - if that's even slightly true, that will get interesting. Plenty of beer here and Sam's club looked like they unloaded an entire semi full of toilet paper.
I was referring to "taking the June 1st return to work date seriously" not "taking this pandemic seriously"

The image below is from the Secretaria de Salud for April 23, 2020.
I've highlighted a few things for you.)
Again, we (most of us in Cozumel) are watching ALL the numbers for the state of Quntana Roo.
What's alarming is the % of deaths to % of positive cases. Then we have to remember that there's likely 8x the number as we were first told.
Again. you are not going to be able to rely on the cases in study, because you would have to have the tests, right?
Still no word on just how many tests are actually available for the public hospitals.

I am not being an alarmist. I'm just watching and waiting. We all are.

Here's what I watched happened in Cancun for the past 3 weeks - And we are just entering into Phase 3. If the Secretaria de Salud is still saying to multiply the numbers by 8 or more, I believe it and then some.

DD/MM - Cases - Deaths
01/04 - 35 - Week One
02/04 - 38
03/04 - 45
04/04 - 49
05/04 - 58
06/04 - 75 - 4 Deaths (none on the previous reports)
07/04 - 92 - 5 Deaths
----- Two weeks -------
11/04 - 156 - 7 Deaths*
12/04 - 166 - 8 *
13/04 - they skipped a day / announcements are now at noon
14/04 - 176 - 11 *
15/04 - 194 - 14 *
16/04 - 200 - 15 *
17/04 - 200 - 15 *
------------------- Three Weeks
18/04 - 223 - 16 Deaths*
19/04 - 229 - 16 *
20/04 - 261 - 16 *
21/04 - 273 - 19 *
22/04 - 317 - 34 *
23/04 - 343 - 38 *
24/04 - 378 - 43*

The other concerning thing to me, (as someone in the healthcare field,) is the higher number of men between the ages of 35-50, who are getting COVID19.
I would attribute that to problems with obesity, diabetes, unhealthy lifestyle habits (drinking and smoking), hypertension and heart disease. Talking to several local physicians here in a small FB group we have, they said that's exactly the age range where they are seeing so many unhealthy patients, which is shocking to them, that so many are so young and already having one or two diseases that they normally see in older adults.

Another friend pointed out that maybe it's the age range of males that are simply not practicing social distancing and not taking any protective precautions. I see women that do that to, but yet their numbers are lower.

PS I'm being super careful Dandy - but no clothes wash station outside my door. (That was a physician friend of mine that is working in a hospital). So I have a place for clean shoes and a place to take off my shoes, dip them in water/clorox solution, leave them out to dry, and put on a clean pair before I go into my house. Then just a laundry basket if I have to go to several places- but absolutely trying to avoid any of that. Just quick in and out runs to the grocery about 2x a week. (More if I run out of wine) ;-) heehee

04 23 Cases Q Roo_461_CZM_15_Playa 77_Cancun_343_Male Statistics.jpg

That is an excellent point. Let me give you a real time example of how that is working where I live in Canada, which was announced today. My province has the second lowest rate of covid in the country and only a handful of deaths. We have been obediently social distancing so today, the Premier and Chief Medical Health Officer (a public health doctor who I know well from my H1N1 pandemic planning days to be a cautious man) announced a 5-stage plan to re-open the economy. We are the first province in Canada to do so. There were dates assigned to the first 2 phases (beginning in a couple of weeks and taking us to late May). They are not being allowed to open in a "business as usual" mode. They are required to ensure that social distancing is maintained, that surfaces are continually disinfected, customers are not to be allowed to try on clothes. Shields are required for clerks. Masks on all service providers. In the stage where restaurants will be allowed to re-open to table customers (phase 4 or 5, I think), they must operate at 50% capacity or less. Etc. etc. etc. The remaining three stages (the fifth of which includes leisure travel outside the province) have no dates assigned. So it could be July or August or September or whatever. It depends on what happens in the weeks following the first two phases. If we see any spike in covid, everything goes on pause while contact tracing occurs and people/communities are isolated. I don't know whether Cozumel will take a measured, slow and cautious approach to opening (and even if they have public health contact tracing capacity) but I suspect this may be a model adopted by many if it works here. I also expect that cruise ships will be among the very, very last entities allowed to resume operating around the world. If the powers that be in Cozumel are smart, they will tightly restrict tourists from countries that have the virus in hand. That is probably a pipe dream, but given how easily this virus is transmitted, it would be the safe thing.

Let's not forget that the Navy has directed the Port Captains to close the ports for recreational purposes, "until further notice". While I've seen the 1-June date from AMLO to *start* reopening, I haven't seen anything that says the ports will reopen then.

My province has the second lowest rate of covid in the country and only a handful of deaths.
Sounds like your province has good management and a good plan. Observing how other areas are dealing with the virus and what their outcomes have been being certainly one of the best ways to learn. It may be a stretch to compare directly as testing capabilities and reporting protocols may differ greatly, but I thought I'd look at some raw numbers.

Saskatchewan: population 1.1 million, 331 cases (0.3/thousand), 4 deaths (1.2%)

Texas: populations 29.9 million, 20,196 cases (0.68/thousand), 517 deaths (2.6%)

Me watching the more populated county nearby where I shop...
Hale county Texas: 33,406, 16 cases (0.48/thousand), 4 deaths (25%)
That rate of death looks alarming, but it's really too small of a sample.

Looking at a state with wild plans to reopen boldly...
Georgia: population 10.6 million, 21,102 cases (2/thousand), 846 deaths (4%)
I join many others wonder what Georgia thinks it's doing opening gyms and hair salons?!

US: deaths 50,372 of 890K cases = 5.7%

With Mexico's numbers bases on lower test rates and only a guestimate of numbers, I don't see a point in comparing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom