Cozumel Chamber and Doctor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On other threads I have seen posts that allude to a diver needing a chamber ride and not getting one because of lack of insurance. One of the two commercial chambers on the island that I know on the island would NEVER turn away a diver in need. That is Dr. Pasqual Piccolo at Clinica San Miguel which is on Calle 4 norte and about 10th ave. His wife Heidi is like a Pirana when dealing with insurance companies and she will go after them all out. But as best I know she does all work to beat it out of them, even DAN or DiveAssure. Please keep in mind that it costs them a lot of money to maintain overhead and just sit back waiting for patients...but I know his medical ethics causes him to treat first, bill later—no matter the insurance question.

Dr, Piccolo is half Italian, half Mexican which makes him pretty excitable-- but not dangerous. BUt I trust him with my life and that of my young children. He also deals with barotrauma to the ears, colds and anything that can be treated casually. I know he makse house calls to the hotels and is by US standards very cheap.

I do not get any kickback or payback from him, just want to let the board know that a competent, English Speaking doctor is available if needed. All of our divers that have used him are complementary.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We used him for the B-in-law. Called from the boat and he met us. Bit of a ruptured ear drum he did the day before at Chankanaab. Could NOT have been nicer.

Sounds great. Divers should carry DAN or DA dive insurance, but then I bet that many don't - and don't know if their home medical coverage will pay for Mexico expenses or not. So what happens if one does not have any applicable insurance? He'll treat with chamber rides anyway? Then what? Does he lose, or does the money have to come in before they can leave the island? Certainly a situation to avoid.

What about the other chamber? Can you tell us about them?

I am confused. If the diver has no insurance how does Heide beat payment out of the insurance companies? If the diver has DAN or Dive Assure, why does she have too?

Dr.Piccolo is a fantastic doctor and treated my wife great when she had her DCS hit,and she thinks the world of him and his wife.That being said I did have to sit in his office and use his phone to wire $12 thousand dollars into his account in the states.At the time I had Dan and Personal Choice Blue Cross coverage.This was years ago and things may be different now,but I always have dive insurance and supplemental medical travel insurance now when I travel out of the country.

I just know that DR. Piccolo would not refuse treatment to ANYONE, who needed it. Then they would try as they might to collect. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have never had DCS but was treated by Dr Piccolo when I had Hemmoragic Dengue this past August. I had a fever of 105, was on a trip solo and very sick and frightened. He was great, I got better. I did have to pay the bill before leaving the hospital. His wife Heidi could not go to my insurance company for payment, she can only do that with chamber claims but gave me lots of information on the process. My experience was that insurance companies will pay but make the process more complicated that it needs to be. They actually rejected my claim twice . My claim was filed in September and finally reimbursed me for my August illness in January. If I did experience a chamber ride, Dr. Piccolo would be the first choice for m me and I would be very happy to have someone like Heidi helping make the insurance process go a bit smoother.

He is a very good/fair man. We went to him a few years ago when we caught a stomach parasite and he treated us for about $60 plus 3 different medications to stop it. I have also visited him at the chamber while he was treating another diver and he is very informative and genuine.

Dear Dave, my recollection on this subject is fuzzy. However, I recall a chamber fee of some sort in the past in Cozumel. Is that fee still collected and if so, does it serve as insurance should a chamber ride be needed?

1. Do not mention fishing to him.

2. Do not mention racing cars to him.

Other than that you are probably okay and will get in and out much sooner.

I like the guy & respect his medical skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom