Cozumel Chamber and Doctor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Do not mention fishing to him.

2. Do not mention racing cars to him.

Other than that you are probably okay and will get in and out much sooner.

I like the guy & respect his medical skills.

Ok, if you're seeking medical help you need to tell the truth, the whole truth, but....

3. Be prepared for a spanking when he asks how many dives you made that day and you say "four".

I swear the guy reached for his belt buckle and we were gonna get it. This is one "committed to diver safety" Dr.

He knew immediately that it wasn't nitrogen, and suggested jellies, which we didn't know because when my buddy jumped in he didn't feel any kind of stinging, but we told the story of the dive and that my buddy jumped back in after the dive and he suggested that they were jelly fish stings and that my buddy has jumped right in the middle of a school of them. I think it was about 10pm when we got to his office.

Whatever he charged wasn't much, and he apologized for charging that much but explained it was night and then Dr. Piccolo drove us back to our hotel. Really nice guy. We got a good scolding about doing more than 2 dives a day. I'd go to that Dr. again in a second if I thought I was bent. And I can't imagine that he wouldn't see you any time of the day or night. We apologized to him but he said we did the right thing by calling and not to hesitate if you think you're bent.

I've been to the other (?) chamber just on the south side of the malecon and they were really nice too. Didn't go there because of nitrogen issues. I got congested and had a little respiratory infection or something. Any medical care I've witnessed or had in Cozumel has been really great.

-Blair

I wholeheartedly agree with Dave. Although I have never been bent I witnessed first hand his handling of a person getting evaluated and treated.

I was having flashbacks of doing field sobreity tests on drunks while he was having this diver go through a series of tilting their head back, closing their eyes and touching their nose with the tip of their finger. The diver missed the tip of the finger and the nose. The whole time the time the diver was rocking back and forth. Bubble in the inner ear was the problem.

The diver kept saying I'm not bent, I just want to go to home and go to bed. Fortunately the chamber was empty and 5 1/2 hours later came out without any issues. As the diver had a home on the island, Dr. Piccolo was able to see the diver several times throughout the summer.

In addition to a good scolding about not drinking enough water and a rapid ascent no diving for at least three months. What was kind of funny was about a week later at a checkup, Dr. Piccolo brings this diver into an exam room with another patient and then says, "tell her what she has." This new diver couldn't even walk she had vertigo so bad.

Cost was about $1,000 an hour. So about $7,000+ after the checkups and incidentals. This diver had DAN and by the way the regular health insurance paid almost nothing.

I have Dr. Piccolo's cell numbers in my phone. Just don't ever know.

Used him a few years ago when I wasn't sure what I had and he was fantastic.Ended up having Salmonella poisoning and a staph invection in my leg. What a combination but Dr Piccolo was the best and very reasonable by US standards.

Dear Ron,

It used to be, and my memory is vague on this, but at one time the dive shops did collect a daily stipend to cover hyperbaric treatment. That was when each dive shop was associated with one of the chambers and before DAN exisited. But I think that all went away in the early nineties as many of the dive shops were collecting monies and not passing on the money to the chambers-- and DAN became a better choice anyway.

As to the other question, Stateside Primary Insurance almost always will cover most any accident in Cozumel, even DCS hits as the primary insurer—but they are complete bastards about paying, coming up with all kinds of excuses and dragging it out. Then what they won't pay, DAN will but it takes someone like Heidi Piccolo to beat them into submission.

BTW, Memo asures me that Dive Assure is a beter deal than DAN. Don't know why but that is what he said...I just follow along!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I appreciate your input as always, Dave. Your local insight is always helpful and you seem to always be on the ball, if not the leader.

I still wonder what you might know about the other chamber operations
...?

As to the other question, Stateside Primary Insurance almost always will cover most any accident in Cozumel, even DCS hits as the primary insurer—but they are complete bastards about paying, coming up with all kinds of excuses and dragging it out. Then what they won't pay, DAN will but it takes someone like Heidi Piccolo to beat them into submission.
Whether a stateside medical coverage will apply in Mexico or not will vary. I know that mine would not, the main reason I also take Trip Insurance that includes good medical coverage. For non-diving risks, it would be prudent for each traveler to determine his/her actual coverage and possible needs. For dive accidents in particular, even some that will cover illness and surface accidents while in Mexico may have limits, restrictions, or exclusions for scuba activities - which is why dive insurance exists.

For DAN dive insurance claims, I have never heard of anyone having a problem at the other chamber. If they have occurred, I just haven't heard - and I have seen 4 divers emergency evacuated to it over the years. I had thought that Dr Piccolo's chamber was the one I'd heard require payments up front, but I may be confused - and would appreciate any clarifications, from anyone.

BTW, Memo asures me that Dive Assure is a beter deal than DAN. Don't know why but that is what he said...I just follow along!
An interesting comment. I am curious why Memo feels that way, from what observations or whatever? Dive Assure does seem to offer very good dive insurance, but as far as a "better deal," I don't see it. I thought maybe that could be because Mexican citizens might get better coverage from DA than DAN Latin America as last I heard the DAN dive insurance coverage offered there was not great - but I don't think Dive Assure offers insurance there at all. DA does offer insurance in many countries, even Antarctica :confused: but not there.

Back to coverage comparisons for US citizens coming there...

When I compare DAN vs DA dive insurance, I just don't see DA as a "better deal." DA rates are difficult to check as you have to go complete a membership application just to get a quote, but I think they offer the same rates regardless of age and state of residence. If that is correct...

DAN's top Preferred plan plus membership costing $110/year vs DA's top Platinum plan at $119/year. With those top plans...

Dive Accident Coverage: DAN $250,000 per Occurrence vs DA $250,000 top plan

Extra Transportation: DAN $2,000 plus Extra Accommodation: $3,000 vs DA $5,000 Flight/Accommodation combined top plan

Lost Diving Equipment, Resulting from a covered diving accident.: DAN $2,500 vs DA $2,500 top plan

Diving Vacation Interruption:DAN $5,000 vs DA $1,000 top plan

And there are other aspects one might compare from DAN's top plan here vs DA's plans here as well as checking to see if I got all that right. :eyebrow:

Overall, it looks like Dive Assure's top plan is similar to DAN's top plan, but DA's costs a bit more. DA makes a deal about being primary coverage vs DAN's being secondary, but that's just a marketing ploy to me as while how the dive insurance coverage might subrogate with personal medical coverage might vary some - they are still going to share the bills either way, with one's out of pocket being the same. Or in my case, with my medical coverage not good there - both of them would pay full benefits if I didn't take Trip insurance, or split the bills with my Trip insurance if I did.

Both DAN & DA have middle plans that are good. DAN's is $35/year less, DA's $20/year less, both with less coverage but should be treated as minimums. The bottom plans for both are just inadequate I think, and not that much cheaper.

Insure with either for sure, middle or top plan, don't dive without one or the other. So while I respect that Dive Assure's dive insurance is very good, DAN's is a better deal, to me. :cool2:

Last edited:
Just to echo what has been said about DANs Standard policy, it does not seem to be the way to go. Along with the coverage $ being low it limits coverage to accidents at or above 130 feet! Not to start a discussion on recreation diving deeper than 130 feet, but we all know the possibility of it happening if things go wrong which is most likely when we may need to have the coverage.

never met the guy but he sounds like some other people i know with the same name. i grew up in a sicilian neighborhood and think piccolo means small fine thing. the people i have known lived up to the name with the accent on fine.

Just to echo what has been said about DANs Standard policy, it does not seem to be the way to go. Along with the coverage $ being low it limits coverage to accidents at or above 130 feet! Not to start a discussion on recreation diving deeper than 130 feet, but we all know the possibility of it happening if things go wrong which is most likely when we may need to have the coverage.
And the middle plan is only $10/year more.

Dear Matt,

Sorry about the written word. My meaning was that most all have made positive complements about his service.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom