Cozumel Carnival in Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll do better searching for "Carnaval" than for "Carnival".

According to the Carnaval Cozumel 2015 Facebook page, the 2015 dates are 11-17 February.

There's also a "pre-Carnaval" from 17 January to 8 February, but I have no clue what that's supposed to be or why everyone is left hanging February 9 and 10.

There are a lot of Pre Carnaval activities including picking the King & Queen & Royal Court etc. Once picked they usually have an evening presentation to introduce them to everyone & then I'm guessing they need a bit of down time to prepare everything from the floats to the different sites things will happen at. This album is from the presentation event in 2012

Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Pre Carnaval ...

Also note that before & during Carnaval there are dance groups traveling around in town & streets get shut down temporarily while they perform. When done they move on & find another street to do it all over again. There are all kinds of activities but even though Cozumelinsider.com used to post a schedule it was rarely right due to venue or location changes. From what I've been told the local radio station is how the locals know what's going on & where.

The street closures occur to entertain sponsors/friends, and as a venue to practice. And yes, there is no way to predict what streets will be closed and when. Like many times in Cozumel, the inconvenience comes with the joy.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Oh yea, it is great fun trying to get from one place to another when suddenly streets are closed. Of course what you see is interesting:

[youtubehq]QoJuxa7u96c[/youtubehq]

Apparently I was to lazy to make a compilation video for 2013 or 2014.....

I used to enjoy Carnaval much more when it was more inclusive, family-oriented, and "home-made" community-organized event, back in the days before it fell under the wing of the Ayuntamiento. The kids played a much bigger role and more families participated. The comparsas were not dancing to electronic freak-out music either!

Below are a few images form the 70's and 80s, back when Cozumel had more import and electronic stores than souvenir shops:

carnaval comparsa 1.jpg

carnaval hermanas.jpg

caraval2 001.jpg

caraval 1 001.jpg

It would be fun to know where these kids are today. Most of them would have grandchildren by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom