Cozumel Airport and Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEVIS yes i did about 24 hrs later not to bad this time just some STRESS

CHRISTY this was going home coz miami newark
never got the bag in miami for customs

gb

Then that is strange. I guess you never found out if it actually arrived in Miami and was misplaced for awhile or if it was never loaded on the plane in Cozumel?

Christi, That is exactly whats bothering me, i dont know if it was TSA? It sure seems like someone is showing interest in scuba gear. Second time this year, one bag lost and this trip, 24 hr delay. I believe it was American this time, but no one will give me more information.

Christi, That is exactly whats bothering me, i dont know if it was TSA? It sure seems like someone is showing interest in scuba gear. Second time this year, one bag lost and this trip, 24 hr delay. I believe it was American this time, but no one will give me more information.

That's awful for sure! Glad you at least got it back this time. Here's another reason to insure dive gear! DAN now offers this for those of you who weren't aware :)

I had two divers arrive two days ago without luggage, also on American through Miami. They missed a day of diving because they literally had NOTHING. I of course offered rental gear at no charge, but considering they didn't even have any undergarments for 24 hours, I can understand their wanting to wait for their luggage. Fortunately, we were able to add on a day at the end of their trip so they didn't lose a whole day of diving! In these cases, I think the AIRLINE must be responsible for monies lost due to luggage not arriving...even if we were able to reschedule them! Airlines need to take more responsibility for their errors....unfortunately, I won't hold my breath!

I gotta chime in here and say that because of traveling with my dog after Wilma, I had no other option but to fly American, and did so the following fall as well........they were fantastic in all aspects! THAT SAID, you couldn't PAY me to go through Miami! I have heard so many ugly stories about that little plane, the service, smaller baggage allowance, the attitudes, etc. My next trip involves the east coast and IF I use American, I have already decided to go WAY out of the way to DFW in order to avoid Miami. Just my litttle two cents..............Betsy

Airlines need to take more responsibility for their incompetency. I think that is the whole problem. Maybe we need to get somebody with deep pockets and start our own divers airline.

gb

The only problem I've had was with my dive knife (locked and taped). It was in a regular suitcase with my BCD. Apparently TSA, or someone, took it upon themselves to remove the knife from the sheath. This took some doing to remove the tape I had put on it. When I opened the suitcase the knife was just floating around the suitcase. Scared me to death as I imagined it probably had put a hole in my BCD but everything checked out fine.

Another interesting story: On our last trip out someone took all of the C batteries out of a suitcase when we arrived in Coz. On our trip home my 13 and 5 year olds were squabbling over not wanting the middle seat. I was a few aisles away so I offered to change seats with the 13 year old to keep the peace. My 5 year old then needed to pee as the aircraft was landing. So immediately upon landing my wife took her to the head. I grabbed all of their baggage and forgot about my carry-on. Needless to say it had over $2500 worth of gear inside. Got through customs and out to the car when I figured it out. Completely my fault but it just made me feel even worse. I went back to baggage claim and the guy said "that plane is no longer at the gate and anything left on it would be a the frontier lost and found." He gave me a number which I called. The message? "Thanks for calling our lost and found, please leave a description of your bag. If we find it, we'll call you". After a sleepless night I was going back to the airport to discuss the word "if" when I received a call from someone in Nashville Tennessee. I answered. The lady said "Sir, I have a bag here with your name on it and I don't know why". After having her check the bag's contents and finding all was well, I almost pulled a muscle from the failed back handspring. All in all, I've been very happy with Frontier Airlines and I've flown them about 30,000 miles a year in 500 mile increments. Their customer service has been fairly good. I can't say the same for United and American, both of whom I've had major issues with.

All experienced flight travelers have their own stories, I certainly have a few, it happens. My approaches include...
1-Carrying all I can in my roll-on, mostly the most essential gear and 24 hours of clothes; cameras, meds and such in my backpack;
2-Sturdy bags - and it doesn't matter whether they look like dive gear or not as there is little market for stolen dive gear, but not expensive luggage;
3-Check in early;
4-Watch closely at luggage claim as many bags are grabbed by mistake;
5-Watch bags every step, as porters put bags in wrong vans, drivers unload wrong bags at early stops, hotel porters put bags on wrong cab, etc - I have seen all of these at Cozumel;
6-Tag bags well - I include hotel, destination, and dates;
7-Insure for out of US trips as airline liability is lower - $9.07 per pound;
8-File claims promptly and obtain authorizations to start buying as needed to be reimbursed;
9-And I am willing to pay more to fly Continental but then I do get VIP handling with them.

[c]
f18a7ba6.jpg

[/c]

Although I am an aircraft mechanic for American Airlines I too avoid Miami at all costs! I also carry on all my gear except fins and BC. Many times I have had my dive gear lost coming out of Miami. Never have trouble anywhere else except a close second is San Juan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom