Cozumel Airport and Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OT, but Delta gave away my ticket and my cousins tickets 30 minutes before the flight took off. They said they called our names. We were in Taco Bell. We got to the gate 20 minutes before flight and they said, (I quote) "It's your problem, deal with it". They did offer us tickets on the next flight for $500 each.

That was in SLC on our snowboard trip. We got on the next flight via standby. I had a borken ankle from backcountry so that added to it.

I get home, engage the BBB and my local attorney general (just though I would try). One week I get a call from the 'executive' offices and offered free tickets for anywhere. I told them there is no way I trust them and too keep the tickets.

A week later I get a letter from the president stating the gate agent is going through sensitivity training, blah blah. There were two ticket vouchers.

I love the BBB

A couple of baggage tips I recently heard on the news from a Travel Agent. 1) Allow as much time for connecting flights as possible. Your baggage has a better chance of making transfers if the layover is at least 1 hour or longer. 2) Identify your luggage in a simiilar fashion, ID tags, Huge Stickers, Duct tape designs.. whatever.... On our recent trip to COZ, I sewed these fabric NEON Yellow and Orange tags that kind of looked like a dumbell. We tied them on with a simple square knot to the handles of all 10 pieces of checked luggage as well as the baby stroller and carseat. When we got to the aiport, we told the porter to find all 12 items with this crazy tag. It worked like a charm. 3) Print up an itinerary which includes all of your personal contact info such as phone numbers, hotel info, flight itinerary and travel itinerary. Also include a stateside emergency contact that could be called if your numbers can not be reached. Put this in a sealed envelope labeled TRAVEL INFO and put it in the front outside pocket or inside pocket of your luggage. Then, print on an outside ID tag that Travel INFO is in the front outside pocket or wherever you put it. This way, IF...IF the airline takes that extra step in trying to locate you the odds are in your favor. Taking these steps may or may not help, but it is worth a try. SS

We just got back from Coz, no problems at all with our luggage, which included dive gear. We flew Delta from Orlando to Atlanta to Coz - our luggage was one of the first to come off the conveyer, although one suitcase was a bit crushed, good thing it was just our clothes. I only care about the dive gear - I can go to Ross to get more clothes!

Ya know, we've gotten lazy and don't always pack our regs, computers, etc in our carry-on. We just guts it & put them in padded bags in our dive bags. Can you still put that stuff in a carry-on or will TSA figure you've got the makins' of an A-Bomb with ya?

We have gone to generic looking bags that don't relate to diving. I'll tell you a good deal. Hockey bags. They are tough as hell and are about a third of dive bags. (No wheels on 'em though)

Ya know, we've gotten lazy and don't always pack our regs, computers, etc in our carry-on. We just guts it & put them in padded bags in our dive bags. Can you still put that stuff in a carry-on or will TSA figure you've got the makins' of an A-Bomb with ya?

I still take regs in my carry-on, and if TSA at the Austin airport says anything at all, it's just "diving regulators, huh?"

When I go, I like to take everything I want to have - all my gear that I might want for that trip including some spares, spare mask, pony bottle & reg, etc as well as my coffee maker, quart jugs, insulated beverage container, so my luggage is always significant. If I didn't get free 70# luggage allowances from my airline, I'd still take one over 50# bag and pay the excess.
We have gone to generic looking bags that don't relate to diving. I'll tell you a good deal. Hockey bags. They are tough as hell and are about a third of dive bags. (No wheels on 'em though)
Leaving Coz before H.Dean in August, I took the first ferry to PDC Sunday morning so I could get to the Cancun airport ASAP, with my carry-on backpack riding on top of my roll-on bag, one heavy bag on my back as it has backpack type strapes, and one duffle in my other hand with no wheels. The porters were not there that early, and I just could not carry it all in one trip very far; I'd carry most of it 50 ft, lay it down, go back for the rest, leap from 100 ft, go back 50 ft for the first pile, etc. That is the last trip for that no-wheels bag ever!

When I go, I like to take everything I want to have - all my gear that I might want for that trip including some spares, spare mask, pony bottle & reg, etc as well as my coffee maker, quart jugs, insulated beverage container, so my luggage is always significant. If I didn't get free 70# luggage allowances from my airline, I'd still take one over 50# bag and pay the excess.
Geez Don ... you need to lighten up ... literally!!! We just downsized our luggage to 2 medium rolling bags each, and we can usually get them under or around 40# each - that includes the back-up spare dive gear (no pony bottle tho') hot water kettle, insulated mugs, misc drink mixes, etc. I considered shooting for a medium & a small bag, but then I usually bring some stuff for my dive op friend, or donations stuff, so I'm not sure I can get too much lighter or more compact ....

ggunn:
I still take regs in my carry-on, and if TSA at the Austin airport says anything at all, it's just "diving regulators, huh?"
Surprisingly, we had the regs questioned a few times by TSA at the Austin airport ... I figure it must be new people as so many divers fly out of Austin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom