Cozumel Advice for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my911

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I was certified last summer in Maui. We are planning a trip to Cozumel and need some advice on places to dive, dive shop, hotels, and whether to purchase, rent equipment here or there. Bascially, everything about Cozumel. We may still consider going back to Hawaii if members here recommend not going to Cozumel. Thanks in advance.

Marshall

From one Coz newbie (going there next week) to another, read a few week's worth of posts in this forum and ye shall have your answers.

my911:
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I was certified last summer in Maui. We are planning a trip to Cozumel and need some advice on places to dive, dive shop, hotels, and whether to purchase, rent equipment here or there. Bascially, everything about Cozumel. We may still consider going back to Hawaii if members here recommend not going to Cozumel. Thanks in advance.

Marshall

Why in the world would you think we might not recommend your going to Cozumel??? We love it there; you will, too.

See my travelog for some info...

Cheers,

The Travelnotes link that travelem provided is a good place to find reviews on specific hotels/dive ops/things to do. However, surfing through the threads on here is a great help to get the sense of the place.

We've been to Cozumel twice in the last 15 months, and I'm heading back in July again. Both this forum and the Travelnotes site were a great help in planning those trips. I've never been to Hawaii, but I can't imagine that you won't enjoy Cozumel.

By the way, you may notice a "slight" bias against all-inclusives on this and other scuba forums. For what it's worth, my wife prefers all-inclusives and that's what we've done when we've been to Cozumel (this next trip is solo - and not to a an AI). Take into consideration what you prefer to do and what kind of resort/hotel you like, and judge accordingly.

Going to Coz for the first time can be very frustrating, as any Cozumelholic can tell you. So...I have devised a 12 step plan.

1. Look through posts in this forum and pick a few hotels that sound good to you.
2. Go to your travel agent and find an air/hotel package that fits your budget. (If you don't care for package flights go directly to step 3.)
3. Book air and hotel.
4. Fly to Coz.
5. Choose one of the dive ops. from perusing the posts on this site and book dives.
6. Dive
7. Dive
8. Choose another dive op. and book.
9. Dive
10. Dive
11. Repeat steps 5 through 10 as many times as necessary for the time allotted for your trip.
Now, the hardest step of the program.
12. Board plane, return home.

What they don't tell you about is the withdrawals and night sweats that you get when you return home. :D

I have read a lot of postings. Thanks, everyone for all of your help!! I called the travel agent to inquire about the Presidente, and some flights.

Another question I have: Is it better to go with the onsite dive op. or go with one that seems like to get the most raves, such as Dive with Alison?

Thank you!

You won't be disappointed with Presidente. Don't forget to ask for an upgrade when you check in. Their on-site dive op is competent and generally gets good reviews. It certainly is easier than trying to arrange for your own diving. Especially if you are a newbie to Cozumel.

Oh, and don't forget to rent a car and drive around the island road to the windy side, being sure to stop at Paradise Cafe (Marley place) for one (1) cerveza and some hammock time. Plus you could drive to town at your leisure.

Couple of street maps are Simple one but alright and Better but doesn't cover as much area, street names are easier to read

There's a nice little place for lunch; turn off of Melgar (ocean road) onto Calle 13 Sur (between the soccer field and the police station) and go two blocks (stop sign at each block) to Ave. 5 Sur, then go right (south) for a half block and it's a green "The House" on the left. Great food, cheap prices.

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom