Cozumel a big Spring Break destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiveBait

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip for week of March 17 at Fiesta Americana. How much does spring break affect Cozumel?

Thanks,
Bait

I haven't noticed it being a part destination the three times I have been (Feb and April). Cruise ships impact the downtown area for about eight to ten hours, then they roll up the sidewalks for the night. Cancun and Tulum are probably more party destinations than CZM.

My anecdotal observation is there's a slight increase (+20% in demographic shift) but not anything like Playa or Cancun. This is from seeing the past 5 years of February March April in Cozumel from the perspective of a quiet pleasure diver. I'm only passing by the "downtown core", beach fronts and resorts on my way to the water. Not working in the dive shops or hanging out at the tourist spots where spring break types would be. Does Otates restaurant count as a spring break destination?

Cameron

First, a disclaimer - I haven’t been to Cozumel in March in a little over a decade - 2007 was the last time - so my information may be out of date. BUT, for many years up to that time I came to Cozumel the last week in March every year. Yes, there was a SLIGHT increase in the number of Spring Breakers in Cozumel, but nothing anywhere close to Cancun or Playa Del Carmen. And if you avoided Carlos & Charlies, Senor Frogs, and Margarittaville, you had a good chance of missing them altogether. Now I was always on a dive boat during the day, so I can’t say what the Spring Breakers were doing during the day - I suppose it is possible that they invaded one or more of the Beach Clubs. But I very much doubt that you’ll see more than a smattering of Spring Breakers unless you take the Ferry over to PDC.

Cozumel is not a spring break destination for the partying types. It is a destination for Easter week for Mexican nationals, often traveling with families. I've met some spring breakers, but they're often diving or for other reasons avoiding the big partying scene.

It most definitely isn't a spring break destination. The town gets pretty quiet anytime there are not cruise ships in port.

Well, my friends and I are planning to go for spring break next year, but that is because we teach rather than because we are party animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom