Costa Rica night life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about a dive trip to Costa Rica in June and would like to get opinions on the best place to possibly stay that would be close to restaurants, stores, bars and clubs, and of course diving.
I'm hoping to dive with either Rocket Frog or Rich Coast Diving- but I would like to have things to do after the dives other than sit on the beach.
I will probably be renting a condo or a vacation rental -

Some of the places I've been looking so far are- Jaco, Playa Hermosa and Manuel Antonio! Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Playas del Coco is the night life hotspot. Greatest number of bars, restaurants and supermarkets in the immediate area of RF and RCD. Also has tourist stores, bicycle and scooter rentals, massage options, a great gelato shop.

Unless you want to spend a lot of time in your car every day, Jaco and Manuel Antonio are way too far for daily diving with Rocket Frog or Rich Coast Diving. Overwhelming majority of daily RF and RCD divers stay at Playas del Coco, Playa Hermosa or Playa Ocotal. In order from most to least stores/restaurants: (1) Playas del Coco (2) Playa Hermosa (3) Playa Ocotal. Both (2) and (3) are a 5-10 min drive from (1) depending on your exact accommodation. My friends' Hermosa to RF transfer was 20 min each way, as there were also stops in Coco to pick up other divers.

There are local tours you can do - many need to start in the morning (i.e. cannot be combined with morning dives). The basic menu is the same from any major hotel or local tour operator (one example here). Most people who want to see MA plan it as a separate leg.

Thanks cephalopod2- That is GREAT info. I'll change my sights and start looking for vacation rentals in Playas Del Coco!

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 06:09 PM ----------

Another question to add to the mix~ If we are staying in Playa Del Coco or Playa Hermosa~ Which airport would be best to fly into?

Hi Sue,
Playa del Coco is the best fit. You can walk to Everything. Rich Coast Diving is on the main street along with 10 restaurants,3 or 4 night clubs,3 Supermarkets (2 local & 1 American) and a Bakery open at 5am if you need coffee before leaving for Bat Island. I stay Always at Toro Blanco. It is Basic and a 1block from the beach, town and across the street a 24 hr. Mini Mart . It is a 25-30 min. ride from the Airport. My Favorite restaurant is La Caveja a little Italian spot outside of town. You will have an Amazing time!!!

Steve the Baker- Thanks for that info- but WHICH airport?

We are taking yours and cephalopod2's advise and are finding a place in Playa del Coco-

another question to add to the mix- why is June not HIGH season? Is it hot and humid then?

How are the currents in June? What dive sites are NOT to miss? Where can we find reliable wind prediction? LOL is that possible?

SaltyKSue LIR - Liberia - is the airport.

June is actually "green season" i.e. rainy season, so not the best time for some of the inland sites but (1) unlike many other places in the world, green season actually increases visibility in this area and (2) this part of the coast doesn't receive much rain.

Steve the Baker- Thanks for that info- but WHICH airport?
We are taking yours and cephalopod2's advise and are finding a place in Playa del Coco-
another question to add to the mix- why is June not HIGH season? Is it hot and humid then?

Hi Sue,
cephalopod2 hit on the head. It is in the 85-90'f and Humid.Rain tends to be at sunrise and sunset. Never seems to slow anybody around.Playa del Coco has a large Retired American and Canadien winter population. Except for a couple of months it's always low season. The BEST Tip I can give you is to Dive with Maurin at Rich Coast Diving. She is Wonderful person and Amazing at her job Underwater.

How are the currents in June? What dive sites are NOT to miss? Where can we find reliable wind prediction? LOL is that possible?

I'm not sure trying to predict currents in advance is a realistic project. There was 1 of 20 days with strong current while I was there - no one predicted it. There will definitely be surge, which can feel like current at some sites, but usually if you stay far away/deep enough you can minimize it.

For wind, you could try wind guru - but better would likely be to ask the dive ops directly.

Dive sites not to miss: Bat Islands (more details in my other post). We didn't have great Catalina dives, but I know some folks have had great experiences there.

A perfect rental... Private villa/house/condo/bungalow/treehouse ... 2 bedrooms on the beach.... soft bedding comforts.... pool preferred but not necessary IF we are beach front.... full kitchen would be great if possible OR studio type if we are close to restaurants .... air condition & wifi ... must be very clean & in Playa Del Coco Area .... within diving range of whichever operator will allow the longest dive times & willing to accommodate 2 female divers looking to spend time with macro! Suggestions : )

How much dive time are you looking for? If you want 45-50 min that shouldn't be a problem anywhere.
To get 60 minutes may take more work. If you are looking for longer dives and macro, Maurin at Rich Coast Diving is definitely my recommendation. While there is a macro person at Rocket Frog she is usually tasked with teaching, DSDs etc - RF could never once confirm me to dive with her in the 3 weeks I was there. Maurin you can dive with every day if you request her and besides being an excellent communicator and lots of fun, she has fantastic eyes for cryptic, tiny and rare animals (I would put her at Indonesian-level).

In terms of dive time, my Dec 2014-Jan 2015 experience:

Rich Coast Diving:
Owner stated no dive time limits beyond gas and NDL in email. On the boat, dives were limited to ~50 min. Maurin was kind enough to give us an occasional 70 or 80 min dive but other Instructors hassled her. When dive times returned to 50 min I spoke to the owner Martin, who said he didn't know the dives were being cut shorter than 60 min -- by that same morning dive times moved to 60 min where they stayed for the last 2 days.

Rocket Frog: Owner also stated no dive time limits beyond gas and NDL in email. On the boat dives were limited to 45-50 min. Spoke to the owner - got some 60 min dives and some 45 min dives. This op remained in denial that it was limiting dive time both directly (time limits in dive briefings) and indirectly with "stay with the group" orders - the group can be pulled up at 45 min or 37 min or earlier depending on how quickly newer divers ran out of gas.

Summer-Salt
makes the bold public claim on its website of not limiting dive times, but given my experience in this region you'll understand if I am skeptical. Would love to hear from someone who has actually dove with them whether they limited dive time or not. Check the websites for more info on boat size and amenities if that matters to you.

Accommodations: Your other post had not specified Playa del Coco area - if you are open to the beach next door, see if Los Almendros de Ocotal condos works for you. Following some research on this board, I stayed in 2 condos there. They're individually owned, so furnishings and specialty kitchen equipment vary (all have microwaves, coffee makers etc - some have spices, some have specialized appliances, e.g. waffle maker, rice cooker), but our 2 and 3 BRs both all had full kitchens, AC, pool, wifi, great ocean views. 1 was ocean front, 1 ocean view. The complex's own website isn`t great - VRBO and TA have more detail. You can rent individual units either through the Los Almendros office or through VRBO. Rich Coast offers free transfers to/from, or you can walk to Rocket Frog which is on site. Only 1 nearby restaurant - cab to Playas del Coco for more restaurants and all supermarkets.

Lots of other options on VRBO if you want to rent a car. Also you can ask Rich Coast what they would recommend.

Last edited:
WOW.... Thank you ... so much information : ) This is very helpful .... I am looking for a full week of diving... so I want to maximize my dive times to an hour and not waste time with nonsense.... I want to make sure to iron out all the details in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom