Costa Rica in July- Play Del Coco- seeking recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConeyIslander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings All

Heading to CR this July and figured I would get a few days of diving in. I am considering two deals and was looking for feedback on the hotels and dive operators. I am planning on staying 5 nights and doing 8 dives.

La Puerta Del Sol Hotel diving with Rich Cost Diving OR Colono Beach Hotel diving with Rocket Frog Divers.
Additionally, if there are any specific dives we shouldn't miss, or actives in the area, or even cool bars and restaurants you would recommend it would all be appreciated.

Thank you and Pura Vida!

Great choice to go diving! I loved Catalina Islands. I had a lot big animal encounters there in 2018. Between May and November you get the chance to encounter Bull Sharks at Bat Island. The dives there are recommened for experience divers only due to the currents and depths.

I stayed in Tamarindo - smaller city with surfer vibes and lots of bars and restaurants.
But for diving I drove an hour every morning to get further north - that's where I would stay if I'd go again.

My wife, daughter and I dived with an operator no longer in business, Ocotal Divers. Both Rich Coast and Rocket Frog get good reviews. I believe Rocket Frog has a fast boat, decreasing the travel time to Bat and Catalinas Islands. We really enjoyed the diving at Bat and Catalinas Islands as well as the more local diving in the Gulf of Papagayo

Have a great trip, let us know how it went.

How does the diving in Costa Rica compare to Belize or Mexico ? or even Indonesia for that matter. I have dived Belize and Cozumel and I wasn't overly impressed with either.
Thanks in advance.

Very different, since you are diving the Pacific. You do not have coral reefs like in the Mesoamerican reef. There not as many pretty fish etc. But you do have the big anmilas. During my dives we saw a lot of sharks, manta rays and bait balls. We got humpback whales from the boat. I did not dive with the bull sharks since I wasn't there at the right time.

Very different, since you are diving the Pacific. You do not have coral reefs like in the Mesoamerican reef. There not as many pretty fish etc. But you do have the big anmilas. During my dives we saw a lot of sharks, manta rays and bait balls. We got humpback whales from the boat. I did not dive with the bull sharks since I wasn't there at the right time.
That's great, which parts of CR was that and what time of year?

I was there in end of August. Bull shark season is from NOV - MAY.
It is in Gunacaste. There are multiple "cities" where to stay. I stayed in Tamarindo, but that was an hour drive everyday. If I go back I would probably stay closer to the dive shop and avoid the drive. Though Tamarindo has a lot to offer in bars and restaurants and also good surf spots.

Great, what sort of prices am I looking at for accommodation and diving please?

I spent a week in Cocos last December. Dove with a couple of companies. Rock divers is the small fast boat 3 or 4 divers experience. I reallly enjoyed the DM but he has a strong exmilitary personality. Rich coast is big slow boat with competent older DMs. Rocket frogs was full but seemed like a young crowd. I would recommend summer salt for out to the islands. About $100 / 2 tanks everywhere. I stayed at the M&M beach house $60 night which I loved. Good breakfast included( great coffee) and walk straight out to the beach to board the boat. There is a party scene there(not for me), but I met lots of folks who were remote working between the beach house and having dinner off the party track.

I spent a week in Cocos last December. Dove with a couple of companies. Rock divers is the small fast boat 3 or 4 divers experience. I reallly enjoyed the DM but he has a strong exmilitary personality. Rich coast is big slow boat with competent older DMs. Rocket frogs was full but seemed like a young crowd. I would recommend summer salt for out to the islands. About $100 / 2 tanks everywhere. I stayed at the M&M beach house $60 night which I loved. Good breakfast included( great coffee) and walk straight out to the beach to board the boat. There is a party scene there(not for me), but I met lots of folks who were remote working between the beach house and having dinner off the party track.
Great, thanks for that, appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom