Costa Rica in July- Play Del Coco- seeking recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in end of August. Bull shark season is from NOV - MAY.
It is in Gunacaste. There are multiple "cities" where to stay. I stayed in Tamarindo, but that was an hour drive everyday. If I go back I would probably stay closer to the dive shop and avoid the drive. Though Tamarindo has a lot to offer in bars and restaurants and also good surf spots.
I have no idea what the bull shark season is, but I’ve done the Bats dive 5 times over 3 years and saw lots of bull sharks on all but the first dive. All during August.

I have no idea what the bull shark season is, but I’ve done the Bats dive 5 times over 3 years and saw lots of bull sharks on all but the first dive. All during August.
How does the diving compare to other places you have dived please ? would you say CR is a place worth visiting for land based diving alone ?

I really like the diving there, but my local dive buddy went and didn’t seem to enjoy it as much (no coral). But if you like big stuff it’s great diving. I’ll be there next week for 2 weeks and doing 12-15 dives.

Cool, can I ask you please which locations you have dived in around the world as a reference point?

Galapagos, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, PDC Mexico, Barbados, Curacao, Roatan, All over Hawaii, Azores, Jamaica, I’m sure I’m missing some.

Bottom line, if you’re looking for good viz and coral, it’s not the place. If your looking for bigger stuff and large schools of fish, it’s great. I’d rank it first on my list. Technically Galapagos was better, but it was way more expensive and land based diving takes up most of the day.

Thanks for that, I do like big schools and big stuff. I also love coral and critters but at heart I'm a Pelagic lover and love big encounters. When you say Galapagos are you saying Gordon Rocks or Wolf and Darwin ?

Gordon rocks was better, but far more expensive and a two tank dive was 7:00 am - 3:00 pm. So that’s a negative for me.

I think Gordon rocks is very comparable to Bat Island (Bull shark dive) though.

Gordon rocks was better, but far more expensive and a two tank dive was 7:00 am - 3:00 pm. So that’s a negative for me.

I think Gordon rocks is very comparable to Bat Island (Bull shark dive) though.
Ok, thanks for your help. Really wish I could return to R4 in all honesty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom