Cost to convert DIN to Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have them configured with the turret facing down and routed the hoses like in this video. The only difference is that I use a 40" primary hose instead of a 7' hose.

I meant to say turn the tank 30 to 45° to the right or left so that the first stage isn’t directly behind you head.

You are looking at current conditions, we are looking at the future.
I remember not that long ago that I had never even seen a DIN in my life, barely even heard of them. I see them all over the place now. While not dominate the DIN is taking off.

I hear ya. The rise in popularity of DIN may be due more to the rise in popularity of tech diving and the spill over from there to rec diving, and/or to more European divers visiting and working in parts of the world that were solidly yoke territory, not so much because dive ops like DIN regs or messing with the inserts. I think many dive ops are going to resist them for the reasons I mentioned. There was an article in a recent issue of Alert Diver magazine titled "DIN Connectors Are No Yoke" that explained what a DIN connector is to the many divers who still aren't familiar with them. Maybe you are right that someday they will be as common worldwide as yoke, maybe even overtaking yoke. But I'm betting that it won't happen for 15 or 20 or more years, and by then my diving days will likely be over. Or at least I'll be on my next set of regs.

Yoke is simply more practical for places like Caribbean resorts. Din valves can't take nearly as much banging around; they can get knocked out of round, the threads get knackered up, etc. As Lorenzoid mentioned, the yoke inserts are problematic because they are unprotected threads, and if they're not removed regularly, they easily get corroded in place. Then you show up with a DIN reg and they try to take the insert out on a rocking boat with a rusty allen wrench....I've seen it happen a few times already where they just couldn't get the inserts out.

In a perfect world, where all scuba tanks were handled carefully, and all the inserts were taken out every day, sure DIN would be great. But that's not reality. For tech diving, the shops are generally much smaller, tanks generally handled with more care, and they don't use the inserts.

Yoke is simply more practical for places like Caribbean resorts. Din valves can't take nearly as much banging around; they can get knocked out of round, the threads get knackered up, etc. As Lorenzoid mentioned, the yoke inserts are problematic because they are unprotected threads, and if they're not removed regularly, they easily get corroded in place. Then you show up with a DIN reg and they try to take the insert out on a rocking boat with a rusty allen wrench....I've seen it happen a few times already where they just couldn't get the inserts out.

In a perfect world, where all scuba tanks were handled carefully, and all the inserts were taken out every day, sure DIN would be great. But that's not reality. For tech diving, the shops are generally much smaller, tanks generally handled with more care, and they don't use the inserts.
And, the inserts are 6mm, 8mm, and 5/16”. So you need 3 different rusty allen wrenches

And, the inserts are 6mm, 8mm, and 5/16”. So you need 3 different rusty allen wrenches

I standardized on the 5/16" inserts from DGX.

I standardized on the 5/16" inserts from DGX.
Me the 5/16 from Blue Steel. They used a 014 on the front instead of the 110 or 111 or 112 or whatever it was, really, a metric.

Me the 5/16 from Blue Steel. They used a 014 on the front instead of the 110 or 111 or 112 or whatever it was, really, a metric.

Since I am all DIN, DGX's with the 112 orings are ones that I normally carry.

Conversion kits are $100 CAD / $75 USD from the shop I bought my regs from and will install for free since I am a customer. I'll keep the DIN parts and see. Who knows, if I ever get into tek and dive more frequently here at home, I may just buy new regs for that situation. In that instance, I'll buy DIN again and most likely buy steel tanks anyway to take full advantage of that set up.

I’m not seeing it. Caribbean dive resorts are still yoke. Dive ops I have dealt with balk at having to mess with the removable inserts. You’re asking them to do something out of their routine by removing the inserts for you and holding on to them while you dive. And the inserts are subject to corroding themselves in place. I think yoke will endure on resort tanks.

Me either. Caribean, south east asian, hawaii, I am seeing most if not all yoke is the default. Din to yoke adaptor is really for those who dive din most of the time and yoke once in a while. If you are using yoke most of the time, just get yoke. Dine to yoke adaptor really has a few catches. As you notice, making the 1st state stick up more is one of them. And you really need to take it apart and rinse it separately. If you get lazy and leave the adaptor on the din for too long, they will seize togther. It needs some efforts to break them apart as well.

And for those who talk about the OP's future diving plan, I would say this to OP. Don't worry about it at all. If when you ever get into next level of diving, buying another 1st stage is really peanuts in the overall cost scheme.

For the yoke coversion kit, I think just search a bit if you don't need it right away. I see the yoke kit come up in classified from time to time. Doing the conversion is very simple, it is a 2 mintues job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom