Cost to convert DIN to Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As soon as you convert your favorite local will get a new batch of tanks and they will be DIN.
During a service would be a time to convert. Whoever is doing the service should have the books, correct part numbers. Be sure to keep the old parts to go back to DIN.

I did the same thing for the same reason, except mine are a brand other than Atomic. The spin-on adapter is silly if you end up using it virtually every dive. I think the kit cost about $50, and it took me 10 minutes to do the replacement.

I did the same thing for the same reason, except mine are a brand other than Atomic. The spin-on adapter is silly if you end up using it virtually every dive. I think the kit cost about $50, and it took me 10 minutes to do the replacement.

This sounds like the way to go and keep the DIN parts if I want to switch back. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

The world is moving to DIN or at least convertible valves. Hang in there and use your adapters in the meantime.

I’m not seeing it. Caribbean dive resorts are still yoke. Dive ops I have dealt with balk at having to mess with the removable inserts. You’re asking them to do something out of their routine by removing the inserts for you and holding on to them while you dive. And the inserts are subject to corroding themselves in place. I think yoke will endure on resort tanks.

You are looking at current conditions, we are looking at the future.
I remember not that long ago that I had never even seen a DIN in my life, barely even heard of them. I see them all over the place now. While not dominate the DIN is taking off.

One comment about switching back and forth. The yoke retainer is brass (as is the reg) which is a soft metal. To remove it one should really use a socket NOT an wrench. Wrenches will slip and mar the brass. Shops will have the socket but one buy it here: 1" Yoke Nut Socket

Decopus - as you have the DIN-to-Yoke adaptors you do not need to buy the complete yoke assembly. You just need to buy the yoke retainer (Part No. 01-0008-00). Use the yoke and knob from the adaptor. Remember to torque the retainer to 21 ft lbs.

I’m not seeing it. Caribbean dive resorts are still yoke. Dive ops I have dealt with balk at having to mess with the removable inserts. You’re asking them to do something out of their routine by removing the inserts for you and holding on to them while you dive. And the inserts are subject to corroding themselves in place. I think yoke will endure on resort tanks.

I have yet to see it myself. It would be nice if the resorts had pro-valves on the tanks and give you an option. I have only used my reg in DIN once for a dive I did here in Ontario when I rented tanks with pro-valves. While I don't have a lot of dives under my belt, I have dived St Lucia, Grenada, Dominican, St Vincent and will be going to Turks and Caicos next month. No DIN tanks yet.

Although this is a perfect excuse to buy more regs, you may want to try mounting the tanks at an angle to avoid hitting your head on the first with the adaptor. Since most stock supplied hosed are to long and the fact that both regs have swivel turrets this may do the trick.

Although this is a perfect excuse to buy more regs, you may want to try mounting the tanks at an angle to avoid hitting your head on the first with the adaptor. Since most stock supplied hosed are to long and the fact that both regs have swivel turrets this may do the trick.

I have them configured with the turret facing down and routed the hoses like in this video. The only difference is that I use a 40" primary hose instead of a 7' hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom