Cost servicing Hollis DC2 212 regulator - $75 per stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just quoted $75 per stage plus whatever other fees for a regulator set I dropped off at a LDS. I'm expecting a minimum of $225. I've had the regulator for about a year and a half. Is this cost something I should expect every year? How do I make this more cost effective?

How do I know if they did a good job without finding out at 80 feet? I have an acquaintance who went to a different shop to have her regulators serviced, and the first time she got into the water and to 30 feet, it freeflowed and she had to cancel her dives for that day (no backup available).

that sounds excessive. contact Air Tech Scuba in Raleigh, they're not the cheapest guys around, but they literally only service scuba gear, all day every day and have a pretty good amount of staff on hand.

that said, I'd get an IP gauge for $30, and if they aren't leaking, the IP is stable, and you haven't damaged or abused them, you don't need to get them serviced yet

I think you may have a DC3-212 reg set? Or not. Regardless, that is WAY high. I have the DC3-212 set and I just had mine serviced at Coral Edge. It was $35 per stage. $105 for the 1st and both 2nds.

I only had mine serviced because they were over 2 years old and had never been serviced and they had been sitting for a while. I wanted to get the first service done just to confirm that I have been maintaining them correctly. Now, I won't get them serviced again until I detect some issue.

As far as detecting an issue, either as a sign to get them serviced or to check them over after getting them serviced, there is some really good info here:

Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-7)

Unless you're doing 200 dives per year, I can't imagine needing to have them serviced every year. And even then, still probably not every year.

Seems expensive. I just got a reg set and BCD serviced for $100. That's a first and two seconds and a small repair to the BCD.

Scubatoys (Dallas/TX) charges $ 60 labor for one 1st and two 2nd stages....plus whatever extra cost parts turn out to be.

I agree with Tbone. A simple IP gauge to check the pressure regulation point and to check for 'creep' is the best way I can tell if a 1st stage needs service and unless there is an observed problem with the 2nd I leave them alone (other than clean and inspect the diaphragm). In reality most regs shouldn't need service until several hundred dives.
I have observed your friends first dive after service dilemma way to often, IMO unnecessary servicing opens you up to the chance of induced failures on any mechanical device (I am an aircraft mechanic and this observation includes airplanes).
Here is DGX's simple IP gauge, a cheap alternative to yearly servicing, just my $0.02.
upload_2017-5-29_15-9-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_15-8-57.png
    upload_2017-5-29_15-8-57.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 49
Personally, I don't think it's too high if it includes parts.

How do you know if it's a quality job? I service my own regs, but if you take your regs to a technician, you should consider doing the following:
  • Present a list of issues
    • Leaks
    • Noises
    • Time since last service
    • How it breathes
    • What you expect out of your service
  • Agree on a price up front!
    • What you'll get
      • Make sure it includes the o-rings for the SPG
    • Phone numbers if there's an unforeseen problem.
    • Maximum price
    • Trade in value
  • Agree on a time frame.
  • Ask for the technician's qualifications.
  • ASK FOR YOUR PARTS BACK!!!
  • When you pick your reg, ask them to put it on a tank.
    • Ask to see the IP (Intermediate Pressure)
    • It should be between 130 and 150 for most regs.
    • It shouldn't creep up
    • It should fall a bit when you breathe on your reg.
  • Dive your reg BEFORE you go on a big trip.
    • A pool is just fine.
    • Check for noises and leaks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom