Cost of Tec Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADeadlierSnake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I first got my open water certification last August, and since then it has been my goal to be able to support a dive lifestyle for my whole life. I really want a career in diving (but it seems the only option for that is an instructor or a commercial diver), but i also want to be able to have ample time to dive everywhere in this world that i possibly can. I am extremely interested in tec diving, and my main question is: How are you able to shell out the money and time for it while also having a diving related job? It seems that if i end up becoming an instructor, that i will be kind of tethered to diving the same dive sites hundreds of times teaching people how to dive. And it seems that if i go commercial diving, my life span will be short (according to what ive read) and i wont have time to dive everywhere i want to. So im really curious what people on this forum do in order to fund a life time full of tec diving, or even just thousands of dives.

Sorry that there are so many questions in there, not all necessarily tec related, but hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. Thanks for any help!

Part-time ER doc. Husband owned his own company and sold it. Tec diving isn't cheap, and neither is travel.

So im really curious what people on this forum do in order to fund a life time full of tec diving, or even just thousands of dives.

I sold my business and my wife is a Doc!

Wow, here it goes, for one, you need to have a lot of patience (don't shoot for zero to hero). There are so many aspects to what you just posted.

Here are some bullet items:
1. Find an instructor(s) that are going to give you quality training
2. Apply training and get experience
3. Once you get to DM (first pro level) take some time, make sure you enjoy it
4. Most Instructors do have second jobs, really hard to make it all on diving
5. Tec diving is expensive, don't expect to get into it cheap
6. Once at Instructor, need to balance Teaching & Fun Diving

Those are the first things that came to my mind, gotta run, will be curious to check back on the thread later!

I first got my open water certification last August, and since then it has been my goal to be able to support a dive lifestyle for my whole life. I really want a career in diving (but it seems the only option for that is an instructor or a commercial diver), but i also want to be able to have ample time to dive everywhere in this world that i possibly can. I am extremely interested in tec diving, and my main question is: How are you able to shell out the money and time for it while also having a diving related job? It seems that if i end up becoming an instructor, that i will be kind of tethered to diving the same dive sites hundreds of times teaching people how to dive. And it seems that if i go commercial diving, my life span will be short (according to what ive read) and i wont have time to dive everywhere i want to. So im really curious what people on this forum do in order to fund a life time full of tec diving, or even just thousands of dives.

Sorry that there are so many questions in there, not all necessarily tec related, but hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. Thanks for any help!

I have a day job that pays me well, and do get some discounts as a scuba instructor. I have no kids, and my wife left me some years back. So I get to prioritize where the money goes. Scuba diving is a priority ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or you can do it my way. I met my boyfriend on line. My profile reeked diver. So he emailed me - rec or tec? I emailed back rec. He emailed back tec but I'll rec. Well, that first dive he stuffed me in a transpac. Now I'm going for full cave in Mexico in May.

He's an IANTD instructor and I pay him for books and cert card. Cheap.

As far as the relationship is going, very strong. We are celebrating our 2nd anniversary of our first "date" on Sunday, driving back from Monterey. I'll be diving my doubles and him, his rebreather. I call him my snuggle buddy.

I am lucky enough to have a well paying day job and to live in an area where the weekend diving is pretty good.

I work ~90 to 100 hours a week. Sadly, this is NOT hyperbole...

All the best, James

Diving is expensive. Technical diving is VERY expensive.

It's up to you to decide how much you can afford to spend on a hobby. If you want to work as a dive proffesional, don't plan on having the income to follow the tech trail. It just doesn't pay that well.

I have found a sad truth in this life. For most of us, when we have enough money to pursue hobbies it's because we are working too many hours to pursue them. If you have plenty of time, you aren't making enough money. Personally, I can't wait to retire from 1 or 2 of the 3 jobs I work right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom