Cost of tank visual inspection...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlcz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe I am getting old and "sticker shock" just caught up to me.

My LDS just charged me $25.00/tank for a pair of aluminum 80's, NOT including an air fill (that was extra).

So I am curious, what do you folks pay for a yearly visual inspection on your tanks?

That seems a bit steep wo/a fill. My local shop charges $15 with a fill. Of course it costs me nothing cause I do my own. They still charge me for a fill :).

Did you ask about the price before handing over your cylinders? Sometimes the holy piss look and then mentioning checking a few other places sometimes helps reduce the price.

I would have liked to been kissed first....
I have been going to this shop for years, but lately the prices seem to be going up incredibly fast.

It's a little high ($12.50/tank) but not out of line with many shops are charging. As more and more of their business slips away to online sources, expect LDSs to up their prices on fills and tank service. It's one of the few remaining areas of control they have.

Another reason why local air fill clubs are getting to be a great idea.

It's a little high ($12.50/tank) but not out of line with many shops are charging. As more and more of their business slips away to online sources, expect LDSs to up their prices on fills and tank service. It's one of the few remaining areas of control they have.

I agree. considering the time, effort and overhead of doing a thorough tank inspection, I'd rather do something else if all I can get is $12.50

IME, those doing it for $5 are investing all of 30 seconds and doing little more than putting a sticker on it. If that's what you want, there are plenty of them available.

I don't know if it is Federal or State Law that governs, but in Texas it's every 5 years for both VIP and Hydro and I just paid $119 for two tanks which included a refill, in Austin. Future refills are $7. I live in NB., so I am closer to SA what are you paying in SAT for all this and where in SAT?? SAN Marcos is even closer and I haven't asked them what they charge.:D

I don't know if it is Federal or State Law that governs, but in Texas it's every 5 years for both VIP and Hydro and I just paid $119 for two tanks which included a refill, in Austin. Future refills are $7. I live in NB., so I am closer to SA what are you paying in SAT for all this and where in SAT?? SAN Marcos is even closer and I haven't asked them what they charge.:D

visual is not required by federal DOT laws, except when/where required at the time of hydro. DOT requires hydro every 5 years.

visual inspections is a "self imposed" scuba industry requirement.

"It's a little high ($12.50/tank) but not out of line with many shops are charging. As more and more of their business slips away to online sources, expect LDSs to up their prices on fills and tank service."

I just thought that $50 for a visual inspection of two aluminum 80's, WITHOUT fills (6061-T6 alloy) was pricey considering I just got the hydros done for $15 each tank.

On another note, how do fill clubs work?
Any in the Northeast?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom