Cost of tank visual inspection...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$5 per tank at my favorite shop. It went up 25% since last year when it was $4. :shakehead:

$25 per tank with no special explanation (like a tumble)is highway robbery. Find another shop because this one should be getting ready for a going-out-of-business sale.

I pay $15 per tank including the fill.

I just thought that $50 for a visual inspection of two aluminum 80's, WITHOUT fills (6061-T6 alloy) was pricey considering I just got the hydros done for $15 each tank.

On another note, how do fill clubs work?
Any in the Northeast?

Oh, you paid $25 each for the vis w/no fill. Yes, that's really high. Sorry I misread your post, and sorry you're LDS is asking you bend over.

It is not uncommon to pay $15 per VIP in most of the stores that I go to. You get what you pay for. Someone to inspect not only the tank but the valve, the o-rings, etc VS someone just taking a glance at your tank.

While the cost of the VIP by your LDS may be high, how are their prices on the other items they carry? How is their attitude and how is their customer service? Do they offer advice on gear, dive spots, trips or other things? These are things you have to consider in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't mind paying them more to VIP a tank if the cost per nitrox or air fill was say $1.00 less compared to other shops.

Your LDS can be invaluable. It's ok to price shop for the best deal of things but building a good relationship with one or two LDS goes a long way. I'm not saying "just pay the $25 per tank"... but I am asking you to rate your LDS as a whole and not just one this one item.

If you find yourself feeling like they are always taking advantage of you it would be time to look for a new LDS.

$20 in tobermory on a morning before a charter, plus fill. I needed it right then, so how could I argue? $17 at my normal shop.

Back
Top Bottom