Cost of reg service double, is this normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtcpl2:
Since the dive shop did not carry my E8's and they were bought from Scubatoys they are going to charge me double for inspections and hydro's. They said all mail order equip will be charged double.

So where can I get visuals and hydro's done other than the dive shops?? Im sure they send them somewhere for the hydro's Any suggestions?
You can get hydros done right at the hydro facility, but they won't do visuals. Scuba shops tend to only honor visuals done by other scuba shops.

It really sucks that your LDS is crap. I'm sorry.

I think the DOT has a search function somewhere on their page that lets you find hydro facilities. Dive shops rarely have the equipment necessary to do hydros. Hydro facilities do tests on beverage CO2 cylinders, welding shop and medical O2 cylinders, fire extinguishers, etc.

Visual inspections are a scuba industry thing, and a hydro shop won't give you a vis sticker cause they don't have any.

Like Jonnythan asked in Post #17, how much does your LDS want to service the reg... and what's their "normal cost"?

It's like the ludicrous claim "Everything always on sale." If they offer a 1/2-price service discount to customers who bought from them, you may consider that to be normal.

Like, if your LDS wants $50 to service your reg, that's not horribly unreasonable -- even though it may be double the $25 they may be asking for a reg they sold. Though I admit a 100% difference seems unusual.

Even ScubaToys offer different prices... $40 to service regs bought from them, sweetened by free parts for life. And they'd be happy to service a reg bought elsewhere, but they charge more.

Again, that's the risk/downside of buying mail-order.

Don't get pissed off at your LDS. Just accept their offer, or go elsewhere.

--Marek

Like Jonnythan asked in Post #17, how much does your LDS want to service the reg... and what's their "normal cost"?

Marek,

The normal price for Poseidons is $80 and they said the Poseidons only have to be done every 2 yrs not every yr like other regs. So all in all that is not a bad price. But since I bought this from another dive shop which mailed it to me, they are calling it mail order so the price is now double so $160 every other yr. Like I mentioned earlier its not so much the cost itself, its the BS of them discriminating.

He said if I would have drove to New Jersey and bought it then the charge would be normal. But because they Mailed it to me its Double Thats major BS

That is super major BS.

Is the $160 for the whole thing? (first stage, second stage, octo)

Johnny,.

Yes it is. Its a complete rebulld/service of the first, second stage and the octo too.

I will check out the DOT site to see what I can find. Im just so peeved. I feel like opening my own no BS dive shop out of my home... You got regs need service bring it in, Same price for everyone Bought it off the web, who cares bring it in. Thats the way it should be. Just like buying a car and getting it serviced anywhere.

jonnythan:
You can get hydros done right at the hydro facility, but they won't do visuals.

The first part of doing a hydro is a visual inspection. And some hydro shops have vis stickers, although as you stated, most don't. This is one of the biggest ripoffs in the scuba industry; to pay for a vis and hydro, then get your tank back and the scuba shop charges you for another vis, even though it was just done.

gtcpl2:
Johnny,.

Yes it is. Its a complete rebulld/service of the first, second stage and the octo too.

I will check out the DOT site to see what I can find. Im just so peeved. I feel like opening my own no BS dive shop out of my home... You got regs need service bring it in, Same price for everyone Bought it off the web, who cares bring it in. Thats the way it should be. Just like buying a car and getting it serviced anywhere.
Good luck with that... heh.

Personally I'd ship them off somewhere and make it clear to the dive shop that I'm never doing business with them again. I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I'm young enough to care more about being right than being popular or liked :05:

http://www.deep-six.com/page37.htm

Here is a link describing how a hydro is done and in paragraph 3 it states a visual is done.

I am still trying to find some place in Mich to do vis and hydros other than my LDS. I don't see how they could reject a fill if the vis was done by a qualified place and stickered.

If anyone else has a link to hydro facilities please post or send me a pm..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom