Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow now it's starting to get confusing. Earlier it was hard for shops to keep their door open at the $300-$400 range. Now it's name the price. Seems like it's hard for some shops to keep competitive so it turns into let's make a deal. Then even the price of regs starts to get a little fuzzy.

Wow now it's starting to get confusing. Earlier it was hard for shops to keep their door open at the $300-$400 range. Now it's name the price. Seems like it's hard for some shops to keep competitive so it turns into let's make a deal. Then even the price of regs starts to get a little fuzzy.

It does not have to me made confusing. If it is, one must wonder why.

Here, for example is it laid out very clearly:

Scuba Diving Courses - Blue Xt Sea Diving

and another:

Open Water Diver - Dive With Elena

Last edited:

It does not have to me made confusing. If it is, one must wonder why.

Here, for example is it laid out very clearly:

Scuba Diving Courses - Blue Xt Sea Diving

and another:

Open Water Diver - Dive With Elena

I wasn't really confused. I was just trying to point out how one particular person wanted to point out flaws(in their opinion) in how cheap it was to get certified down here in Florida only to turn around and start trying to play let's make a deal in New York.

No
Compare used mik 5 cost was $450 after service and new hoses..there was no mention of alternate air source or spg..add alt air source $140,Sherwood, spg $90..atomic Z2 $429..total is now $659 for new regulator system vs $450 incomplete used mk 5 with no spg,alt air source..add alt air,spg on the mi 5 and now it costs $680..that's more than new atomic.
Mik 5 was top of line back in the late 60's early 70..I keep one on my boat as a spare..

No that was a full kit... mk5 1st stage and 2 109 2nd stages with a SPG... With brand new hoses.. Add $50 bucks if you want a console with a compass... Your really good at changing things around..

Jim....

No

No that was a full kit... mk5 1st stage and 2 109 2nd stages with a SPG... With brand new hoses.. Add $50 bucks if you want a console with a compass... Your really good at changing things around..

Jim....
Nope ..you are good at changing things,.look at original post about mk 5.no mention of spg,alt air source
And old school is now on ignore list as this is like beating a dead horse ..

Last edited:
You had your own regulator,bcd,mask,fins,computer...that should be figured in for true cost of what you paid for course..so your $550. Now your class works out much higher..closer now to $1,100 if you purchased this gear used to as high or higher than $2,000 +..
I would not consider the cost of gear to be part of the cost of a OW course as you can just rent the most expensive parts. The op did not say gear was part of the course cost?

I had done a number of discover dives (5 of them over a few years) so knew i was comfortable underwater - otherwise, i would have waited to buy my own gear until I knew I was comfortable and capable; as i w7oukd advise most to do.

I wasn't really confused. I was just trying to point out how one particular person wanted to point out flaws(in their opinion) in how cheap it was to get certified down here in Florida only to turn around and start trying to play let's make a deal in New York.
Nope , no to make a deal in NY ..tuition stays what it is..at $299. Training dive that includes rentals have been at $269 . any additional costs involve what student spends for mask,snkl,fins,boots.can be purchased from us, borrowed from someone,anywhere.
Want better deal? Buy a bcd,regulator,computer in a package, during class or within 2-3 weeks of its end or before you do training dives with us locally and you get the $299 you paid for tuition back , it comes off the price of the gear..this policy has been here for 5 years now.Nothing new about it. Can be any manufacturer we carry..Sherwood,Oceanic,Atomic,Scubapro..Zeagle..
Who else does this for their customers? This deal is even posted on a wall in a frame as you enter classroom.

I would not consider the cost of gear to be part of the cost of a OW course as you can just rent the most expensive parts. The op did not say gear was part of the course cost?

I had done a number of discover dives (5 of them over a few years) so knew i was comfortable underwater - otherwise, i would have waited to buy my own gear until I knew I was comfortable and capable; as i w7oukd advise most to do.
Regulator,bcd,tanks,lead all included in pool sessions, tuition of $299 covers that.. For ow training dives it is rented, rental fee is included in ow fee of $269.includes 2 tanks,weights,regulator, bcd,computer,7mm wet suit,hood.

image.jpg

This is the Eastern Mass cost, shore dives, still need to pay for your own mask fins snorkel, (10%off) and also equipment rental at 15% off ($100). Chilly northern urban areas cost more than warmer southern rural areas, and that is the way it is.
No use sniping at the LDS, we northerners are happy they survive at all for us to visit. I just LOVE the smell of Neoprene in the morning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom