Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can shop elsewhere..anyone can always can buy something for less if they spend enough time and effort to do so..I do not consider $50 difference to be the deciding factor, some may. In NY area fees are close at every shop. All within a $50 to $100 range of difference. We are not the cheapest nor are we the most expensive in the area.

So just to get some clarity and perhaps finality on the issue, let's say someone comes to you for OW certification.

1. They did the PADI eLearning
2. They have a mask, snorkel and fins.
3. They will not buy any gear.
4. Classroom, pool & OW dives.

What will you charge them to get certified?

That doesn't have an octo. Say add another $50 for one, you are already up to $500, not far from my estimate of $550 for a complete set of reg, 1st + 2x 2nd + gauge + service or no service if new.

The $200 Drift BC only come in XS, L and XL. If this fit OP, great. Mising S and M probably rule out most populations. That is why they are on close out, the left over sizing. Need luck for bottom price deal. The $400 BC in my estimate is based on DRIS Triata bp/w package, which is one of the best value BC, also something can carry any diver far into future.

That Atomic is a full kit and metal ? The 109 set is far from junk... It'll last a lifetime... And just so you know... I'm packing for Bonaire and have 3 full sets of Conshelf 14 supreme and 2 pony bottle sets of conshelfs... Don't think I have more then $1200 in all of it, And that's gauges and new hoses... I am a DIY person, so no labor..

Jim...

Jim...

For $450 you can get a new atomic regulator.

Not so fast, Z2 is $440 for 1st and 2nd only. Maybe you can do better in your shop. But add an new octo? Even a slimline low end octo is like $80 new. If new Z2 octo, it will be $250. New SPG for $70? You will cost more than $550.

I think that is how HOG and Deep6 price their reg set. Top performance reg new at price equal to majory brand's of equivalent performance used + service

We have a Sherwood bcd in the store now, I think it is a Shadow bcd back inflation, integrated weights, never been wet, brand new..$200 takes it out the door..I think it is a size large. .

Need some luck to take advantage of this deal

So just to get some clarity and perhaps finality on the issue, let's say someone comes to you for OW certification.

1. They did the PADI eLearning
2. They have a mask, snorkel and fins.
3. They will not buy any gear.
4. Classroom, pool & OW dives.

What will you charge them to get certified?
$299 for classroom and pool..all 4 training dives $269. This is in a group schedule class. The $269 includes rental bcd,7mm wet suit,hood,lead weight,2 tanks,regulator,computer. No training dives,referral wanted, $299. Our group class runs every other weekend, private can be any day any time. Want a class at 2am ? We have done it. Need utmost privacy because of religious beliefs or student a celebrity? Been there do that.

Compare used mik 5 cost was $450 after service and new hoses..there was no mention of alternate air source or spg..add alt air source $140,Sherwood, spg $90..atomic Z2 $429..total is now $659 for new regulator system vs $450 incomplete used mk 5 with no spg,alt air source..add alt air,spg on the mi 5 and now it costs $680..that's more than new atomic.
Mik 5 was top of line back in the late 60's early 70..I keep one on my boat as a spare..

Last edited:
Not so fast, Z2 is $440 for 1st and 2nd only. Maybe you can do better in your shop. But add an new octo? Even a slimline low end octo is like $80 new. If new Z2 octo, it will be $250. New SPG for $70? You will cost more than $550.

I think that is how HOG and Deep6 price their reg set. Top performance reg new at price equal to majory brand's of equivalent performance used + service

Compare used mik 5 cost was $450 after service and new hoses..there was no mention of alternate air source or spg..add alt air source $140,Sherwood, spg $90..atomic Z2 $429..total is now $659 for new regulator system vs $450 incomplete used mk 5 with no spg,alt air source..add alt air,spg on the mi 5 and now it costs $680..that's more than new atomic.

Need some luck to take advantage of this deal

No. Oldschoolto's reference already has a spg there. And his estimation of service,$150 should also include the service of entire set. He also factored in $150 hose replacement, which we know they don't cost that much. He only need to find another used 109. So I think $500 is very doable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom