Corrugated Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BC Inflation Hoses Are Not Drysuit Inflation Hoses
You should not use a BC inflation hose for drysuit inflation because the drysuit hose has a special 1.0-mm flow restricting orifice for easy buoyancy control. The flow restricting orifice prevents:
A rapid over inflation that may cause uncontrolled or unexpected ascent.
A flow rate that could exceed the drysuit exhaust valve expel capacity.
A loss of intermediate pressure if the drysuit inflation valve should freeflow.

Source

How is any of this different from a wing over-inflation? Either way, you disconnnect your hose as quickly as possible.

I'll have to hook up my non-ds inflator hose to my suit and do a test underwater to see if my suit exhaust can keep up with the inflation rate...

Interesting...

Chris

For some reason, this seems to be a bigger issue on the Oxy doubles wings. My Oxy singles wing hose length is fine (it's longer than the hose that came on the Vertex 55). Not sure what Patrick is thinking on the doubles hoses.

My Oxycheq doubles hose is 16", which is the perfect length for me.

BTW, don't forget the hoses are shorter in the winter in Montana...

:wink:

My Oxycheq doubles hose is 16", which is the perfect length for me.

BTW, don't forget the hoses are shorter in the winter in Montana...

:wink:

Rick, is that picture and accurate reflection of where the inflator normally sits? If so, that looks way too short to me. The bungie is sitting right on the LP inflator. This is exactly how mine looked with the stock Oxy hose.

Rick, is that picture and accurate reflection of where the inflator normally sits? If so, that looks way too short to me. The bungie is sitting right on the LP inflator. This is exactly how mine looked with the stock Oxy hose.
The bungee sits behind the inflator, between the LP hose and the dump hose. I donno, for me, all I do is reach over to the left chest D ring, give the hose a little upward twist and vent (when I'm not using the rear dump). The hose rests right on top of the D ring, and keeping it short means I need very little lift to get it to vent. I've seen people with longer hoses having to raise their arm way up to get a good vent.

It's the only doubles wing I've ever used (I have the Oxy single, too), so maybe I'm just used to it.

I had heard this as well, about the Oxycheq hoses, so when I ordered mine, I stipulated the desired hose length, and Patrick was kind enough to taylor this for me. Nice guy. Good company. Great product!

I received way too long LP hose last time, so I requested shorter LP hose - like synched to length of the corrugated hose). I got that but I had not noticed anyone mentioning too short corrugated hoses. I blame SB!!!
Considering it took 3 months to get the wing I am bummed there is this kind of easy-fix problem with it. Not easy-fix for me because local shops do not carry corrugated hoses except attached to BCDs. Now I gotta figure out how they are measured to be able to order...

How is any of this different from a wing over-inflation? Either way, you disconnnect your hose as quickly as possible.

I'll have to hook up my non-ds inflator hose to my suit and do a test underwater to see if my suit exhaust can keep up with the inflation rate...

Chris

I think that's exactly it - the deflater and dump on the wing should perform similarly or better than the inflater, whereas the variable exhaust on a DS is significantly slower (dunno about a cuff dump?). You could grab the neck seal and burp the suit, but an unrecoverable feet-up ascent in a DS is probably also enough of a concern that differs from BCs (butt dump valve) to warrant a lower-performance hose.

Either way, you disconnnect your hose as quickly as possible.

Chris

It is very hard, almost impossible to disconnect free flowed hose quickly especially in dry gloves.

I even bought Lp Hose Release Flanges (Hose Hat) from DSS. Are they DIR?

You could grab the neck seal and burp the suit

That is almost impossible either with warm neck collar and dedicated hood and dry gloves.

It is very hard, almost impossible to disconnect free flowed hose quickly especially in dry gloves.

I even bought Lp Hose Release Flanges (Hose Hat) from DSS. Are they DIR?

That is almost impossible either with the cold water hood and drey gloves.I even bought Lp Hose Release Flanges (Hose Hat) from DSS. Are they DIR?

My Fundies instructor said, no. Too easy for something to get caught on the hat and disconnect unintentionally.

And BTW, FIVE BUCKS??? For that piece of plastic???

Redicilous...

2.50 from Joel.

My Fundies instructor said, no. Too easy for something to get caught on the hat and disconnect unintentionally.
I'd rather have it come off unintentionally and reconnect it than not be able to disconnect it in an emergency...
Ever read the BAUE report from the guy who had a 10-second rocket ascent to the surface from 70ft, missing ~28 minutes of a 30 minute deco? Got pretty bent.

If nothing else I could see getting a Halcyon LP inflator hose -- they're much easier to disconnect than the standard hoses.

Gee I wonder that the official opinion is on DUI dry suit inflator hoses is??

To disconnect almost all ball bearing dedent type QR connection under pressure one must first push the QR Towards the male nipple, then retract the collar.

That makes accidental disconnects much less likely. In addition it is reasonable to argue that the benefits of being able to quickly disconnect an inflator hose out way the negatives associated with an accidental disconnect.

And BTW, FIVE BUCKS??? For that piece of plastic???

Redicilous...

2.50 from Joel.

We sell the hose hats for $5 PER PAIR, not $5 each.

From the DSS site

DESCRIPTION
Lp Hose Release Flanges (Hose Hat), per pair

Designed to simply press onto the knurled sleeve on the quick disconnect on the power inflator hose. Provides a larger, easier to grip flange. Emergency disconnect (runaway inflation) of the LP hose, even with thick gloves is now possible.

Simple, secure installation, tough elastomeric material, remains flexible at low temperatures. Fits most hose ends.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom