Corrugated Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the opposite problem. I like mine to reach down to the bungee on the chest d-ring. With my new doubles wing (oxy) the corrugated hose is too short to do this which annoys me to no end. Does any of you secure the corrugated hose on the harness above the d-ring any other way (inner tube is pain because of the inflator) when this is an issue? Or should I assume I have deformed somehow and my d-ring has dropped too low... I like the corrugated hose short but I also would like it tidy and where I know to find it...

The Oxy wings ship with hoses that are too short, in my opinion, for most people. In fact, the LDS around here that sells Oxy carries longer hoses specifically because the stock ones are too short. I have a Vertex 55, and with the stock hose I could barely get the inflator through the rubber o-ring on the chest d-ring. As was explained to me in Fundies, if the d-ring is positioned properly the inflator should pass through the o-ring (or bungee) and have enough hose below the o-ring to be able to grasp it with your hand comfortably. (then measure and size the LP hose length based on that so the LP hose sits flat with no extra loops) I ended up swapping out my stock corrugated hose (and LP hose) for a longer one after the gear review in class.

Here's a picture that I think shows good placement of the inflator relative to the d-ring. Notice where the rubber o-ring is, and how much hose is hanging below that. Not a lot, but enough to comfortably get your hand on it. (that's not me, but this is from my Fundies class. My rig is in the foreground).

IMG_0297_Large_.jpg

Here's another shot with three "Fundies-approved" corrugated hose lengths :D (I'm on the left in the hideously orange DS)

IMG_1949.sized.jpg

The Oxy wings ship with hoses that are too short, in my opinion, for most people. In fact, the LDS around here that sells Oxy carries longer hoses specifically because the stock ones are too short. I have a Vertex 55, and with the stock hose I could barely get the inflator through the rubber o-ring on the chest d-ring. As was explained to me in Fundies, if the d-ring is positioned properly the inflator should pass through the o-ring (or bungee) and have enough hose below the o-ring to be able to grasp it with your hand comfortably. (then measure and size the LP hose length based on that so the LP hose sits flat with no extra loops) I ended up swapping out my stock corrugated hose (and LP hose) for a longer one after the gear review in class.

Ok, so I am not the only one. Vertex is what I have too, and the corrugated part, the rubber itself is 13" long which is over 2 inches shorter than on my singles Oxy rig. I considered swapping from my singles but now I gotta swap the mouthpiece too because I've come to like the K-version.

I doubt my d-ring can be way too low but I had to nudge it a bit because I have narrow shoulders and it hurts the ball of my shoulder very fast if it's tad too high. With doubles that owie feels way worse when donning. The hose being so short and high the whole contraption starts standing up really stupid and banging me on the face when I turn to left. My photo would definitely be on the class of the the orange suit but a little worse pulling. How silly to make it that way then... feedback time...

Here's a picture that I think shows good placement of the inflator relative to the d-ring. Notice where the rubber o-ring is, and how much hose is hanging below that. Not a lot, but enough to comfortably get your hand on it. (that's not me, but this is from my Fundies class. My rig is in the foreground).

IMG_0297_Large_.jpg

That is quite the bolt snap tie-off on that SPG. That must be the "no-need-to-unclip" version :) I assume this was pre-inspection...

Good point Chris, that SPG hose is ~8ft long.

I have an OXY singles wing, and it is definitely shorter than most, but it is the right size for me. I need to shorten the hose on my doubles wing. When you shorten it, do you need the whole LP inflator, or just the currugated part?

Tom

Ok, so I am not the only one. Vertex is what I have too, and the corrugated part, the rubber itself is 13" long which is over 2 inches shorter than on my singles Oxy rig. I considered swapping from my singles but now I gotta swap the mouthpiece too because I've come to like the K-version.

Yeah 13" is pretty stubby. Its not just you :)

Just the corrugated part. I think they are universal, but I am not sure so you might check before you order.

For those of you looking for longer hoses (he he he) - if you want a 14" and have a 12" or a 13" maybe we could trade.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom