Corrugated Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll measure my doubles length. If anyone wants it after I replace it...

That is quite the bolt snap tie-off on that SPG. That must be the "no-need-to-unclip" version :) I assume this was pre-inspection...

LOL! It was strongly suggested to him that he replace the SPG hose during the gear review in class. He finally replaced the hose after he and his "appendage" were incessantly mocked during the video review of the pool session.

- if you use a drysuit, the LP hose should be long enough to inflate the d/suit in an emergency (you run out of Argon) or to hook up to a bag if absolutely necessary

BC Inflation Hoses Are Not Drysuit Inflation Hoses
You should not use a BC inflation hose for drysuit inflation because the drysuit hose has a special 1.0-mm flow restricting orifice for easy buoyancy control. The flow restricting orifice prevents:
A rapid over inflation that may cause uncontrolled or unexpected ascent.
A flow rate that could exceed the drysuit exhaust valve expel capacity.
A loss of intermediate pressure if the drysuit inflation valve should freeflow.

Source

I have an OXY singles wing, and it is definitely shorter than most, but it is the right size for me.
Tom

For some reason, this seems to be a bigger issue on the Oxy doubles wings. My Oxy singles wing hose length is fine (it's longer than the hose that came on the Vertex 55). Not sure what Patrick is thinking on the doubles hoses.

For what it's worth, I went back and measured after all of you were saying that 13" is short. Sure enough, I remembered wrong. My hose is 18". Surely that's not a stock Halcyon. 14" seems like it would be about right.

So I guess if anyone wants an 18" hose I have one and I am looking for a 14".

Thanks for the replys.

Hunter

BC Inflation Hoses Are Not Drysuit Inflation Hoses
You should not use a BC inflation hose for drysuit inflation because the drysuit hose has a special 1.0-mm flow restricting orifice for easy buoyancy control. The flow restricting orifice prevents:
A rapid over inflation that may cause uncontrolled or unexpected ascent.
A flow rate that could exceed the drysuit exhaust valve expel capacity.
A loss of intermediate pressure if the drysuit inflation valve should freeflow.

Source

Yah, but sometimes you dont have that much of a choice.
Lets just say that (in theory as this would never happen to me because I am so boy-scout DIR it hurts :)

Say you are diving in 70-80 feet of water. And just say (for arguments sake) that you tied an SMB off to a fixed point at 70 feet (fixed meaning you cannot yank it free)

and you are out of airgon and have to go retrieve the SMB. Ever been at 70 feet with no gas in the suit ??? (only recommended if you are done having kids). So sue me, I used the inflator to blow some back-gas into my suit (yes, I could have gone to my buddy and if it was a big dive with Helium in the back gas I probably would have)

And I think I use the same kind of hoses on my d/suit as my LP hose. I never even knew there was any difference honestly.

I've never heard that...I think I'd prefer to confirm that with someone other than a place selling a $60 drysuit-only inflator hose.

The Oxy wings ship with hoses that are too short, in my opinion, for most people. In fact, the LDS around here that sells Oxy carries longer hoses specifically because the stock ones are too short. I have a Vertex 55, and with the stock hose I could barely get the inflator through the rubber o-ring on the chest d-ring. As was explained to me in Fundies, if the d-ring is positioned properly the inflator should pass through the o-ring (or bungee) and have enough hose below the o-ring to be able to grasp it with your hand comfortably. (then measure and size the LP hose length based on that so the LP hose sits flat with no extra loops) I ended up swapping out my stock corrugated hose (and LP hose) for a longer one after the gear review in class.

I had heard this as well, about the Oxycheq hoses, so when I ordered mine, I stipulated the desired hose length, and Patrick was kind enough to taylor this for me. Nice guy. Good company. Great product!

I've never heard that...I think I'd prefer to confirm that with someone other than a place selling a $60 drysuit-only inflator hose.

It's true for at least some drysuit makers. Diving Concepts' catalog has a section talking about their CEJN coupling, and how they've "reduced the flow by 70% to that of an international low pressure hose by reducing the flow rate through the male end of the low pressure hose that connects to the first stage....Because air flow has been restricted on this hose, do not use it for delivery of breathing air to a diver."

Hm. I just use a detuned 1st stage on my argon bottle.

Anyhow, on topic of hose length: both of my doubles wings are 16" corrugated hoses. One by Agir, the other by Deep Sea Supply. I'll be purchasing the 12" hose to try out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom